Wanting some opinions on a few phones...........
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

100+ Head-Fier
had another thread started but didnt go far :). Please chime in. 

AKG 242 hd
 Grado 325i
 Sennheiser 600 or 650

will end up getting an amp later. music is anything from Floyd to Metallica. will use mostly with ipod classic 160gb all in apple lossless. love music and want to enjoy it the best my pocket can handle.
 also let me know what you think about the E9/E7 combo for an amp, or other amps around $200.
 thanks alot

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 18
325is don't need no stinking amp.  

Well, it wouldn't hurt.  

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Just take note that the Grados and Sennheisers are both open cans. The senns need amping to shine, the grados to a smaller extent. I'm not sure whether the AKG 242s are in the same league as the other cans.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:

Well, it wouldn't hurt.  

I don't know about the 325is, but the 225is didn't sound that much better than my 80is until I amped them both.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

Well, it wouldn't hurt.  

I don't know about the 325is, but the 225is didn't sound that much better than my 80is until I amped them both.

x2, I disagree with everyone's opinion that grado's don't need amps. they don't need incredibly beefy amps, but amping is a must.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 18
can you get earpads for the grado's that will cover the ears completely. i know the price of the grado's and senn 650's are alot different and Im sure i cant go wrong with either, i just want something that will make my passion even more enjoyable. please more info. thanks

also i would say my taste of music is more rock/metal.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 18
You can get G-cushions that will cover your entire ear and makes things a lot more comfy. You can also do several mods that allow you to attach pads from other headphones or another option is to do a search on the sock mod. It's exactly as it sounds...take a sock, roll it into a donut, and attach to the headphones to make a cushion. You will change the sound by doing any of these mods though. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 18
I agree. They don't need an amp but they really want one. I cannot stand my 325's unamped.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, it wouldn't hurt.  

x2, I disagree with everyone's opinion that grado's don't need amps. they don't need incredibly beefy amps, but amping is a must.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 18
ArmAndHammer...... with your "picture" i taake it that you are a metal head? :) do you like your Grado's? if a pair of Senn 650's and a pair of Grado 325's are in front of you and someone said pick one............... 

also will the G cushions change the sound much?

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 18

can you get earpads for the grado's that will cover the ears completely. i know the price of the grado's and senn 650's are alot different and Im sure i cant go wrong with either, i just want something that will make my passion even more enjoyable. please more info. thanks

also i would say my taste of music is more rock/metal.

Grado really makes rock sing. I have a set of SR80i and the Senn HD 650. The Grados really are rock phones - guitars sing with them (at least the SR80i) - but they don't come within a sight on the horizon of the detail, soundscape, and frequency separation of the HD 650.

But I don't know about the Grado refinement in cans that are higher up the range than SR80i's.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
ArmAndHammer...... with your "picture" i taake it that you are a metal head? :) do you like your Grado's? if a pair of Senn 650's and a pair of Grado 325's are in front of you and someone said pick one............... 

also will the G cushions change the sound much?

Avoid g cushions unless you plan on doing a m1000 type mod. it kills everything that's good about grados.

I listen mainly to metal, and my favorite cans are grados. Senns are good for female vocals and grados are good for screaming guys and rock and roll.

That said, I'd get either sr60is or sr225is. the 325is are brighter than the rest.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Actually I am just in to zombies and other morbid type stuff...not much in to metal...lol...but I have listened to some through my Grados and they handle it well. I listen to mainly acoustic stuff and rock/alternative. The Grados are fantastic acoustic rock headphones.

As far as the G-cushes...yeah...they change the sound quite noticeably. They extend the bass and lets it hit a little harder, deeper. The sound stage improves some but the imagining really opens up. I feel that there is a lot more separation with the G-cushes. The draw back is you loose some of the mids and top end. For me that is bad because IMO that is what Grados are all about. Especially the mid range. After owning a pair of Beyer 770 Pro 80's for two years and going from them to my Grados and realizing how much music I was actually missing because of recessed mids...I'll never own another headphone that has that quality to them. To me, mids is where the heart and soul of music is. The good thing is...the mids and highs are pretty easy to EQ back to where they were. I don't like having to EQ, but it's just something I gotta do if I'm going to have my cake and eat it too.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 18
thanks everybody. (I think) it might be down to the Senn 650's and Grado 325i's. I will worry about the amp when I get through worrying about the phones. One advantage (if it is one) is with the Grado's being a little cheaper I can get the amp sooner. But Im so scared I will be missing out on ALL the good news about the 650's

Im sure I cant go wrong with either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back