Want your personal opinion on interconnects and their effect on sound quality…
May 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #286 of 426
Now this is the story about how my opinion on interconnects turned upside down:

I thought interconnects didn't make any difference. I had made some DIY cables and stock cables (very cheap ones) that made no difference at all. After all the bashing I decided to buy a cardas mini-mini cable and try it with my equipment. Everyone claimed you needed to have experience. Well so I settled the test. (Get ready)

Impressive how the soundstage opened, bass appeared more dynamic, the sibilance was no longer there. And I could not keep those thoughts to myself. I had to tell it to my friends, so left the music playing (to burn in) and went outside.

I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said fresh and had a dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare.

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there. To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

beerchug.gif
dt880smile.png
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #288 of 426
oleblueeyes you are one of the worst members here at Head Fi.

Stick to the debating the issues or ****. Your constant walking all over threads with your obvious attitude problem is getting tiresome.

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #289 of 426
oleblueeyes is prob one of the most knowledgeable members of the board

ppl should post what equipment they use / have used to test which cables

May 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #290 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oleblueeyes you are one of the worst members here at Head Fi.

Stick to the debating the issues or ****. Your constant walking all over threads with your obvious attitude problem is getting tiresome.

I disagree. oleblueeyes is a great head-fier.

May 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #291 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... people who don't know diddly and go around insulting people like there is no way they could be wrong.

You guys probably have 3 teeth in your heads between the both of you.

I can't believe that those two sentences actually followed one another. Too funny.

May 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #292 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. oleblueeyes is a great head-fier.

See oleblue? That's a grown up way to post an answer.....not like this:

"You fat person, your inferiority complex is so thick and heavy it's making you shorter than you already are. You're a miserable failure, call your mommy and cry to her."

May 22, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #293 of 426
oleblueeyes has taken a lot of guff. It is so colorful the way he responds. Never known oleblueeyes to shoot first. He does show up to a gun fight with napalm from time to time. Can't blame him for that.

May 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #295 of 426
Quote:

People get treated the way they should.

ROFL!!
tongue.gif

May 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #296 of 426
Quote:

Like I said before, what test?

At least try and be coherent if your insist on going on about this.

Ok Go here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Download the test.rar , in it is 2 samples of come fly with me , one was recorded to my laptop using a 1 meter £65 cambridge audio ic (into Y shaped rca - 3.5mm adapter) , The other using 1 meter of unworund coathanger soldered (badly) at both ends to split opened and stripped cheap RCA cable at amp end and cheap 3.5mm cable at laptop end.

Listen to them as many times as you like, post yor preference if you have one.

May 22, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #297 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the resulting treble emphasis (boost) in the signal which has been amplified by the mic pre's 60 dB of gain?

I'm curious about the answer as well – but I doubt it will be clearer than what we got so far if it arrives at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't my hypothetical 1dB treble emphasis but Jazz's.

And to answer your question, in theory with a perfectly linear mic-pre all frequencies between LF and HF would be boosted by 60dB, including the band X - HF. In practise this might vary slightly as of course no mic-pre is perfectly linear.

The colouration of the speaker is changing (interfering with) the frequency balance of the original signal. Your second statement I disagree with. Let's say for argument sake that a cable colours the signal from the mic by attenuating 6kHz by 0.001dB. So now my very low level coloured mic signal is fed through my pre-amp boosting it (by let's say 60dB) to line level. Everything in this signal (including the colouration) is now 60dB louder. Furthermore this signal is then further amplified to speaker level. On the other hand if this same cable were the speaker cable there is no further amplification required so the 0.001dB attenuation at 1kHz (colouration) is going to be 1,000 times less noticeable than the colouration of the mic signal which has been boosted by 60dB.

Now you are being deliberately stupid for two reasons: Firstly, I've worked with various EQ units most days of my life for nearly 20 years. Secondly, you are trying to be facetious from a standpoint of ignorance. If you weren't coming from an ignorant standpoint you would know that the first bit of equipment in the recording chain after the mic (and mic cable) is always the mic-pre. Once the mic-pre has boosted the signal to line level then balancing, dynamics processing (including EQ) and effects processing can be applied, if required. All this processing (if required) is applied in reference to the monitoring system so will not vary by much when played on a home system. Using your example, if you boosted a mix so there was 43dB more emphasis then the rest of the mix and all the details in it (including interference) would also be 43dB louder. Of course, trying to play the mix on your home system 43dB higher than it was mixed would almost certainly blow your speakers or definitely blow your ears!

Gregorio, my respect for you was still a bit higher before I've been confronted with this obfuscating nonsense serving for blurring your big and telling mistake. It would have been better to stand by it (or be quiet as the second-best option).

May 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #298 of 426
Quote:

Ok Go here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Download the test.rar , in it is 2 samples of come fly with me , one was recorded to my laptop using a 1 meter £65 cambridge audio ic (into Y shaped rca - 3.5mm adapter) , The other using 1 meter of unworund coathanger soldered (badly) at both ends to split opened and stripped cheap RCA cable at amp end and cheap 3.5mm cable at laptop end.

Listen to them as many times as you like, post yor preference if you have one.

You will have to wait till Wednesday. My amp is on its way from Skokie to me here in Va.

Can you tell us how it was recorded?

May 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #299 of 426
Quote:

You will have to wait till Wednesday. My amp is on its way from Skokie to me here in Va.

Can you tell us how it was recorded?

recorded using Audacity 16bit PCM , source is capital years cd (has 16khz lowpass).

Cd player is Yamaha CD1000

Amp is rotel r04

May 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #300 of 426
Well the problem is how do we know you didn't just make a duplicate of the same file. Or if you're just going to interpret olblueyez's findings to suit yourself? And the most olblueyez can do is say A sounds different from B, and if he says the cheap IC sounds better than the cambridge IC, it doesn't automatically mean there's no difference between cables or he's suffering from placebo, because nobody knows just how cable differences manifest. Then there's also the possibility that olblueyez DOES guess which one is the cambridge one, but then anti-cablers can rightly say he probably just guessed because there's only a 50/50 chance of being right if he guessed. The only real conclusion we can draw is that "IF there is a cable difference it can't be determined with this test". Do the unscientific test though, I'm interested in what heights we can reach with useless arguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back