Want to upgrade my HD800 (making music/mixing)
May 20, 2018 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kisame

New Head-Fier
I've been using HD800 + JDS o2 amp for creating music and mixing, and compared to monitor speakers (don't have treated room, so I don't want to use speakers if I can help it) the HD800 seems to have something wrong with its mids, like its mids is missing something. I also do not like the treble ringing, as it gets in the way of everyday activity as well.

Are there headphones out there that sound more neutral than HD800? I don't have money for Stax, so I was wondering if HiFiMan, Mr Speakers, Audeze (LCD3 or newer designs?) or other high-end manufacturers have something to remedy the shortcomings of HD800, while also offering more dB at sub-frequencies (higher dB at 20hz-40hz than HD800)? Mids and the treble ringing are my main concerns though.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Check the Focal Clear

May 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 8
I've been using HD800 + JDS o2 amp for creating music and mixing, and compared to monitor speakers (don't have treated room, so I don't want to use speakers if I can help it) the HD800 seems to have something wrong with its mids, like its mids is missing something. I also do not like the treble ringing, as it gets in the way of everyday activity as well.

Are there headphones out there that sound more neutral than HD800? I don't have money for Stax, so I was wondering if HiFiMan, Mr Speakers, Audeze (LCD3 or newer designs?) or other high-end manufacturers have something to remedy the shortcomings of HD800, while also offering more dB at sub-frequencies (higher dB at 20hz-40hz than HD800)? Mids and the treble ringing are my main concerns though.
Sonarworks offers a free trial (reference 4 or True-Fi) that you might find helpful to tame the treble on the HD800. Nothing to lose but some time. May end up working for you.

Bern

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sonarworks-headphone-calibration-software.762969/

May 20, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Sonarworks sounds like it could have some real potential, need to trial it a bit more but this looks real good (I like how you can adjust % of dry/wet , somewhere 60-66% sound pretty similar to my speakers with quick listening) , .

Focal Clear also seems pretty high on Innerfidelity hall-of-fame list. Really interesting stuff, thanks for recommendations :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Sonarworks sounds like it could have some real potential, need to trial it a bit more but this looks real good (I like how you can adjust % of dry/wet , somewhere 60-66% sound pretty similar to my speakers with quick listening) , .

Focal Clear also seems pretty high on Innerfidelity hall-of-fame list. Really interesting stuff, thanks for recommendations :)
We are close to the same setting...I usually run at 70%. I'm waiting for their True-Fi to come to Android as I have a couple of bluetooth portables I'd like to use it with.

Bern

May 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 8
The Focal Clears are a very good headphone something to look at.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 8
A pair of near field speakers would require little no to treatment (some treatment would help of course but they are near fields so).
I have 2 windows in my room, and they're not even symmetrically opposing sides. I feel like the treble gets boosted by them, whenever I try to listen with speaker monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back