Want to upgrade from Yuin PK3, but don't want to use an amp!
Apr 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Brandon7s

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of YUIN PK3's that I've been using for the last 2 years or so. I REALLY like them, overall. Incredibly comfortable. I can't imagine finding headphones of any kind that are more comfortable. FUN sounding, and I find that I can listen to everything and anything on them, from house to post-rock to folk. I do wish the bass was tighter, as it can sound rather muddy, I wouldn't mind more detail all round, actually. Just FYI, my favorite headphones ever (that I've heard) are the AKG-K701s. My perfect set of earbuds would have that sound signature but with a little more bass quantity thrown in.

I do NOT like using headphone amps. I have enough devices to carry around and keep charged already, and I only take with me what I can put in my pockets. I normally use my smartphone (Droid X) as my DAP, which I have no complaints about. I enjoy minimalism in my listening experience, and the less devices I have to keep track of, the better.

I really want to get a pair of the 9wave Plastics, but I don't believe they are out yet... none-the-less, I will be ordering a pair whenever they are available state-side. My next choice from the research I've done would be Sennheiser's MX880. Problem is, I hear a lot of complaints about their comfort, AND I have no idea if they will sound any good without an amp, especially since I'm using a smartphone which really doesn't have the juice that an iPod or other dedicated DAP does. The Sunrise AS-Charm get good overall reviews, but I've not heard anyone compare them with the PK3s yet. Are they as versatile? Do they require more power? Are they more detailed, and more importantly, is the bass just as "flabby"?

I'd love some more input, advice, or recommendations. Budget is about 100USD. I can go higher, but only if I really think it'd be worth it.

I've done IEM route, and I just don't like them. Mostly because I LIKE being able to hear what's around me, but also because they just aren't as easy to slip on and off. I don't want or need isolation.

TL;DR: I want earbuds that are better than the PK3 while still sounding fun, and I don't use amps.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 20
The MX880's are not hard to drive at all & you should be fine running them off a portable player. They sound great if you can get a good fit. Unfortunately for me, my ears were way too small to fit the large earpieces, and I could only achieve the excellent SQ if I was physically pushing the earbuds down into my ears. When they would loosen, sq fell dramatically. 

Some, (myself included) would argue that the Senn MX580 would be an improvement over the PK3's. They're about the same size as the PK3's, so none of the fit issues I had w/ the MX880s, and I felt they were more detailed & provided better clarity. The mids of the PK3's may have been slightly better than the 580s, but the 580s were better in bass, treble & soundstage. I think they can be had for only $30 right now, which is a great deal. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
The MX880's are not hard to drive at all & you should be fine running them off a portable player. They sound great if you can get a good fit. Unfortunately for me, my ears were way too small to fit the large earpieces, and I could only achieve the excellent SQ if I was physically pushing the earbuds down into my ears. When they would loosen, sq fell dramatically. 

Some, (myself included) would argue that the Senn MX580 would be an improvement over the PK3's. They're about the same size as the PK3's, so none of the fit issues I had w/ the MX880s, and I felt they were more detailed & provided better clarity. The mids of the PK3's may have been slightly better than the 580s, but the 580s were better in bass, treble & soundstage. I think they can be had for only $30 right now, which is a great deal. 

Hm.. 30$ is dirt cheap, I might spring for the MX580s just for the heck of it, though I'd still like something that's an even further upgrade.

That's my main argument about getting the MX880s: the size. I figure that if the PK3s fit me perfectly, than the MX880s will simply be too large.

Any thoughts on some of the Audio-Technica lines? The ATH-CM707 is definitely one of the sexiest LOOKING headphones I've ever seen,but I've not been able to find any real comparison between ANY of the ATH earbuds and YUIN's stuff.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 20
I own all 4 buds listed above PK3 , PK2 , MX880 and MX 580. In my opinion MX 580 is far better than the rest. It has a neutral presentation, very high detail and a great soundstage. PK2 and PK3 are near but their sound is more "artificial" Sure you can get better Highs From PK2 and better Lows from MX880 but again those differences are just very minor. Overall performance; MX580 is far better.

Note: MX880 also has an inferior volume control on the cable, which is a reason alone to hate them.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 20
Here's Yuin and earlier Audio Technica ATH-CM700 together; latter probably too big for you.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371235/earbud-buyer-s-guide-feat-tm5-ok1-pk1-ath-cm700-ok2-k319-ok3-pk3-pk2

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
I own all 4 buds listed above PK3 , PK2 , MX880 and MX 580. In my opinion MX 580 is far better than the rest. It has a neutral presentation, very high detail and a great soundstage. PK2 and PK3 are near but their sound is more "artificial" Sure you can get better Highs From PK2 and better Lows from MX880 but again those differences are just very minor. Overall performance; MX580 is far better.

Note: MX880 also has an inferior volume control on the cable, which is a reason alone to hate them.

It's amazing to me how two people can listen to the same headphones/earphones and reach entirely different conclusions.  I've had the PK2 and PK3.  The PK2 are my current workout favorites.  When I compared these two in A/B fashion switching back and forth, I found the differences to be very subtle and small.  They really sound very similar.  On careful listening it did seem that the PK2 have a bit better clarity in the highs.

I bought a pair of the MX581 for my son.  I believe these are the same as the MX580 in terms of sound, although I have not heard the MX580.  I find the MX581 to be very lacking in the bass department and overall significantly inferior to the PK2 and PK3.  They have a "cheap" sound coming from the Yuins.  I had been curious to try the MX880 but after hearing the MX581 I have serious reservations.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 20
The Mx580 is 90% identical to the Pk1.  Its 1 step down in everything, most everything is very similar, too similar to merit an extra $100 or so.  If you want a monster all arounder, wait for the 9wave NW Studiio to be released for $50-60 ish.  Its a BEAST.  If you want the best bass experience on a budget, thats the MX880, the MX580 is the best entry bud you can get...its almost as good as the Yuin PK1 for cripes sake >.> 

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
The Mx580 is 90% identical to the Pk1.  Its 1 step down in everything, most everything is very similar, too similar to merit an extra $100 or so.  If you want a monster all arounder, wait for the 9wave NW Studiio to be released for $50-60 ish.  Its a BEAST.  If you want the best bass experience on a budget, thats the MX880, the MX580 is the best entry bud you can get...its almost as good as the Yuin PK1 for cripes sake >.> 

Oh, I'm definitely ordering a pair of those when they are available, regardless of what I am getting currently. Do you have any idea when we can expect the NW Studio Plastic to be available in the US?

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 20
I have only owned one DAP which didnt register any real benefit from being amped, and that was the mighty X1060. Sure, its expensive, but most will be happy to use it straight from the headphone out - no LOD and no amp. Even now, about to head home with my spanking new P4, I look at my headphones and realise that I dont really need that much power - I just want it. I guess power corrupts - absolutely :)

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Got my MX580's in today. I haven't had much time to listen to them, but I'll give you my overall impression of them compared to the Yuin PK3 I have (that are thoroughly burnt in).

Comfort is about the same, for me. The MX580s seem to be just a tad larger than the PK3s. Not a problem for me, but might be for others.

Highs: Crisp, clear, fairly detailed, and never harsh. Love the highs.
Mids: A little on the recessed side, compared to the PK3s, but not by a lot. Still clear and detailed. Vocals come through just fine, so the mids don't bother me.
Lows: Compared to my burnt-in PK3s... the low end is anemic. It's well-defined, not muddy at all, but it's definitely recessed. I'm hoping burning in will help this - I know I thought that the lows on the PK3 were anemic at first, too, and that definitely changed after some good burn-in time.

I can't really comment on the soundstage, because I haven't put enough listening time into the MX580s to tell the difference, but if I had to guess.. they have a good bit wider soundstage. not as "in your face" as the PK3s, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. Overall, the MX580s are more precise, clearer, and more detailed. They aren't as "fun" though, and thus far in my usage of them, they make a lot of songs lack impact that would otherwise be a blast to listen to on the PK3s (The Glitch Mob, Massive Attack, Dredg, and rock in general, I think). This could easily change with more burn in time, so I will have to get back and post impressions post-burn-in at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back