Want to take the plunge (and try eye contacts)
Jun 12, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #61 of 72
If you wear contact lense, just remember don't wear them too long during a day because contact lense (especially non-gas permeable) still blocks some oxygen going to your eye, so blood vessels will be grown in your cornea trying to get more oxygen, eventually those blood vessels will make your eyes blind.

Aug 5, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #62 of 72
bumping because i finally went for an eye test and am trying out the acuvue advanced right now (what the optician gave me). right now they feel worse than my acuvue 2's, but i also had those drops that the doctor puts in your eyes earlier today, so i'll see how they are tomorrow. almost all of the reviews of the purevisions on epinions.com are positive, whereas the acuvue advances have 2 and a half stars out of 5 with 42 reviews, so i think i will try to purevisions out.

sorry to hijack your thread kirosia!

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #63 of 72
It's an old thread.
eek.gif

Actually, I eventually did get contacts. Cost me an arseload though ($100 for exam, another 100 for 6-month supply). I've got acuvue hydraclears, they're pretty good.

Using opti-free solution to clean/store them, you guys know of any better ones?

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #64 of 72
i've always used opti-free express as well and never had problems. the main thing to avoid infections is to wash your hands before putting them in/removing, and making sure to rinse out your case and let it dry during the daytime. also replace the case every few months. actually i am using those acuvue advanced with hydraclear as well.

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #65 of 72
Funny, I had actually been browsing through these old contact lens threads today myself. I decided to go back and get refitted two weeks ago, and my initial problems with always feeling the lenses were definitely a fitment issue. I'm still not quite there yet though and need to go back one more time but the new pair I got are a LOT better feeling...they almost disappear in my eyes. I can still feel the edges of the lens a little though and I get a sense of being disoriented when looking to the sides or down so I think the power's a bit too high. I requested to try the Accuvue Oasys and they're definitely nice...my eyes don't get dry nearly as fast as my first pair. Just need to dial in the comfort and power now. I still don't plan on using them everyday but rather as just a weekend thing.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #66 of 72
Ugh, I hate hate hate hate hate Opti-free Express. I guess I would love it if I enjoy that burning sensation followed by the insti-dry feeling, but I'm not a big fan of either of those.
wink.gif
I really miss the renu with the moisture-lock (they don't sell the version sans moisture lock here), but in the meantime there's some Finnish stuff called Bio-soak that's very much like the Renu, I'll take that over the opti-free.

One thing with contacts back in the US. AC killed my eyes. Most people seem to like the AC and ceiling fan combo and between the two, and using Opti-free, it was like my contacts had wooden frames. I actually ran out of eye drops and mom and I both would rip out our contacts first thing once inside the house.

Meanwhile in this climate I can wear them 12, 15, 20 hours without issue, whether or not I use eye drops is personal choice, and certainly it's a lot nicer now that I got away from Opti-free.

So for those of you in a heatwave, and putting up with AC and ceiling fans, I feel your pain.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #67 of 72
I tried contacts and although I liked them a lot I had to go back to glasses.
Contacts are great for mos people, unfortunately I suffer very dry eyes and mine used to get stuck in my eyes, well, on my eyelids actually. Even drops didn't keep them free, I ripped a few pairs taking them out as they welded themselves to my upper eyelid, leaving a piece still attached. I used to get gunked up as my eyes dried out in air conditioned rooms.

Putting them in was a bit of a pain, I never did get it down to where it was quick and easy though wih practice most manage fine. They are not as clear as good quality glasses due to the porosity of modern soft contact lenses. Most people wont notice except under certain circumstances. I also noticed an odd peripheral distortion where the edge of the contacts bends light oddly.

I wish I could go back to contacts though as I really hate the maintenence glasses require. I'm constantly adjusting them, cleaning them, blowing dust off them and generally finding glasses uncomfortable to wear. I didn't need them until I was about 35 or so and I still haven't gotten used to the damn things.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I've been contemplating this for awhile, and I really want to try contacts. I hate both the feel and the aesthetics of glasses. The only thing is the cost, an eye exam + a years supply of contacts is gonna kill me. The exam alone is $100+ (according to walmart/lenscrafters), and I don't have insurance. I'm looking at the acuvue oasys, since my eyes tend to dry up due to my love for watching things on my PC. Should I try it out? I may not even be able to wear em, but....

My exam was like $30-$50 and then you just use 1-800-CONTACTS to get the best deal.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #69 of 72
I use PureVision contacts and I can keep them in my eyes for 2 weeks straight.

Once you wake up, the lenses will be a bit dry for perhaps 1-2 minutes but after that they're perfect again. Supposedly you can keep them for 4 weeks but they get a bit dry after 2 weeks. I absolutely love these things and have been using these kind of contacts for half a year by now with no problems so far. I have about -1.50 on both eyes and the lenses cost me 25€ a month for both eyes.

I rate these contact lenses as one of the best inventions EVER. There are other companies that carry these kind of new contacts and I highly recommend glasses or contacts users to give them a try.

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
I wish I could go back to contacts though as I really hate the maintenence glasses require. I'm constantly adjusting them, cleaning them, blowing dust off them and generally finding glasses uncomfortable to wear. I didn't need them until I was about 35 or so and I still haven't gotten used to the damn things.

I keep trying contacts but so far have never found a pair that was comfortable. And that no amount of

(a) daily cleaning
(b) poking stuff in my eye
(c) risking infection
(d) buying supplies all the time

is going to make up for the ease of swiping a Windex wipe across my glasses once a day. My cousin and several friends have had LASIK but until the prices drop that's not an option for me.

Now if only the frames I like would come back in style...Last couple of years it seems they're only marketing those little squarey librarian frames. UGH! I have been getting my old frames rekitted with new lenses, but I'm sick of them.

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesmai
My exam was like $30-$50

Probably cause you have insurance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back