Want to take the plunge (and try eye contacts)
Jun 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been contemplating this for awhile, and I really want to try contacts. I hate both the feel and the aesthetics of glasses. The only thing is the cost, an eye exam + a years supply of contacts is gonna kill me. The exam alone is $100+ (according to walmart/lenscrafters), and I don't have insurance. I'm looking at the acuvue oasys, since my eyes tend to dry up due to my love for watching things on my PC. Should I try it out? I may not even be able to wear em, but....

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 72
I say go for it. Is it really $100 for the exam? I remember paying a lot less for mine (maybe 60-80$) but that was nearly a year ago. I don't have insurance either but I think it is definitely worth the cost.

I actually can't wear glasses without getting a headache, don't know why, so contacts were the only choice for me. It feels weird and you're constantly aware of their presence the first few days/weeks, but afterwards they became natural feeling to me. The doctor will tell you which contacts are best suited for you, my perscription actual has the brand and type of contacts I'm supposed to wear.

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 72
Deffinitly get an exam before you try contacts. Some people are not suited for contacts, don't mess your eyes up.
Contacts aren't that expensive, if you compare it to getting new glasses every 2-3 years. I pay roughly €65 for a half year supply, and get an exam every year. The exams I do cost about €25, not anything that'll bust the wallet, but I don't know if such things are more expensive in the US. I've felt my contacts for the first couple of days, but I can't feel them now.
I love my lenses, being able to see sharp without borders of glasses around my vision, or dirty lenses, etc, is great.

I'll be looking into getting my eyes lasered this year aswell, that might be something you can consider. It might be costly, but 20 years of glasses or contacts is probally more expensive.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 72
I got contacts about 6 weeks ago, few things:

Clarity is better with my glasses, even with equivilent perscriptions.

Peripheral vision is overrated.

I don't like poking my eyes in the morning just to be able to see.

Sometimes when a room is dark, bright light sources (TV/monitor/light/window) can be blurry.

After doing a lot of running around, I usually need to use some drops to un-dry my eyes, and not having any can be very uncomfortable.

It took me 4 visits to learn how to put them in and out correctly.

Can make napping a nuisance
eek.gif

Glasses are infinitely easier to put on and off

And the good:

Most of the time, I don't want to take them out by the end of the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good for sports, assuming you have drops to use later.

Most natural vision (or so it seems...) than glasses

Overall, I'm not entirely thrilled with contacts, but my glasses are pretty beat up, and they would always slip off. I also needed contacts so that I could see with a Lacross helmet on.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 72
If you don't have a problem with glasses, is there any real advantages other then the fact you have no glasses on you? I might get glasses in a year or so, so I am curious, I don't think the idea of having glasses on my head bugs me (I am a geek anyway), although I am scared of losing glasses.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobies
The main advantage is purely based on vanity. Glasses are generally going to be more powerful than contacts (i.e. clearer vision).

Um, no. As I mentioned above I can't wear glasses without getting a headache. I've tried glasses for six months and always ended up with a terrible headache after no more than two hours.

Personally I don't think there's a difference between the strenght of my former glasses and my contacts of the same perscription. I also like my peripheral vision, though some people might differ in their opinions.

Glasses v. contacts is a personal perference, that's why I suggest trying them out for yourself. Go see a doctoc and give the contacts a few weeks before you make a final decision.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 72
So, say you have no problems with headaches or anything, and glasses offer the clearer vision, is there any other real reasons to go to contacts (once again, making the assumption your like somebody like myself who does not care about having glasses on their head.)

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
So, say you have no problems with headaches or anything, and glasses offer the clearer vision, is there any other real reasons to go to contacts (once again, making the assumption your like somebody like myself who does not care about having glasses on their head.)

Do you play sports or anything else that might put your glasses in danger? My younger brother broke his glasses twice in six months. But he's in elementary school that might just be him.
rolleyes.gif

If you really have no problems with your glasses then just leave them alone. But I see no harm (except the extra cost and time) of giving contacts a try if you are curious.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Um, no. As I mentioned above I can't wear glasses without getting a headache. I've tried glasses for six months and always ended up with a terrible headache after no more than two hours.

Personally I don't think there's a difference between the strenght of my former glasses and my contacts of the same perscription. I also like my peripheral vision, though some people might differ in their opinions.

Glasses v. contacts is a personal perference, that's why I suggest trying them out for yourself. Go see a doctoc and give the contacts a few weeks before you make a final decision.

Um yes. Of course there's a difference in resolving power. Ask your opthamologist.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Do you play sports or anything else that might put your glasses in danger? My younger brother broke his glasses twice in six months. But he's in elementary school that might just be him.
rolleyes.gif

If you really have no problems with your glasses then just leave them alone. But I see no harm (except the extra cost and time) of giving contacts a try if you are curious.

I don't play any sports, but those in gym, and if I was to get glasses, it would probably be for only select uses (i.e. far distance if their is a time when I need it.) My vision imho is actually pretty good, but I recall a year or two back my eye doctor telling me I might need glasses in the future (nothing too strong I believe.) It would seem stupid to have to go through a process to get contacts in if you only need them for a short period of time daily (if even daily.)

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 72
My glasses look pretty fragile, but they've probably taken 4-5 soccerballs, and 1-2 basketballs straight on.
biggrin.gif

If your glasses are giving you a headache, that's a sure sign the perscription is too high. Something even slightly lower could help that

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobies
Um yes. Of course there's a difference in resolving power. Ask your opthamologist.

Well, I guess it wasn't a great enough difference that I could notice. But again this is personal preference. To me a little bit more of clarity wouldn't justify the headaches.
tongue.gif

P.S. My "Um, no" statement was made towards your "purely vanity" statement. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back