Want to take the plunge (and try eye contacts)
Jun 12, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
My glasses look pretty fragile, but they've probably taken 4-5 soccerballs, and 1-2 basketballs straight on.
biggrin.gif

If your glasses are giving you a headache, that's a sure sign the perscription is too high. Something even slightly lower could help that

Heh, I just realised the bottom part of your post about too high of a prescription makes a lot of logical sense (uncomfort to the eye, brain has headache from messed vision.)

Heh, I don't think I've ever been hit by a ball in the area of my eyes, but like I said, I am not very active in sports other then what is played in gym. I am more of a fan if I am to play sports to play tennis (if I even remember how to play), badminton or another racquette (sp?) sport, much safer as no large massed ball is involved, but less excercise I supose.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
If your glasses are giving you a headache, that's a sure sign the perscription is too high. Something even slightly lower could help that

It's possible. But I've brought this up with my doctor before and he recommended trying contacts, which did fix the problem. Either that or he was trying to get some more money out of me...
eek.gif
icon10.gif

I'll be sure to ask next time I get my eyes checked out.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 72
I got fitted for contacts myself just about a week and a half ago. Haven't done the one week follow up yet, and I'm debating not doing it, because all in all I don't care much for the contacts at all currently. I can always feel them in my eye, to the point where it feels like something is always resting right on my eyeballs and applying pressure on them. They're also always shifting around in my eyes, making things go out of focus or blurry. I get some slight burning sensations every now and then that I need to blink alot to clear. Also having to carry around a bottle of eyedrops and using it every other hour gets pretty annoying. Having to take them out for a nap is also annoying.

From a comfort point of view I totally prefer my glasses, which are so light anyways that I hardly feel them on my face. Glasses never bothered me in the first place though, and I like the fact that they provide some protection against any sort of projectiles or particles that may come my eye's way.

One thing to keep in mind if you're tight on money for the office visits is the cost of the revisits in the event you don't get things right on the first visit. I suspect my problems lie in the brand of lenses I was given, but a contact lens fitting for me costs $45 even with insurance, and every time I switch brands, it's going to be considered a fitting as the doctor has to stuff them in my eye personally. That's one reason I'm hesitant to go back...who knows how many times I could have to swap brands. That and the fact of having the doctor put the contacts in is a pretty bad experience in itself. I'd say my main reason for wanting contacts is because I love Oakley sunglasses but getting a pair prescriptioned costs ridiculous amounts. But considering my eyes have been on the same prescription for 6 years now, maybe it's worth shelling out for prescriptioned Oakleys since they'd last me for quite some time anyways.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 72
I wear contacts. In fact, I wear old school contacts, and love them. Hard lens gas permeables. They can last as long as you want, and as long as you're responsible and dont lose one, they can last for ages (they suggest 2 years, my moms been using a pair for about 20 years)

If you can bear the minor pain for the first week (thats what they say, I had very minor pain for about a day and that was it) they are really worth it. They're so much easier to take out. I tried soft lens contacts for 2 weeks not too long ago. I couldn't stand them. They both went off of my pupils at the same time, leaving me with blurred vision for a few minutes. The only thing I liked about them was that the were very airy, and it felt nice on the eyes. The only thing Hard lenses can be out of your eye for a long time and they wont dry up. Soft lens does. If you must, you can put hard lens in water. No can do with soft lens.

*edit*
The hard lenses may not be for you, considering your eyes dry up a lot. Mine dry up once in a while, but thats usually at 12 PM and I just take them out for the night.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
I got fitted for contacts myself just about a week and a half ago. Haven't done the one week follow up yet, and I'm debating not doing it, because all in all I don't care much for the contacts at all currently. I can always feel them in my eye, to the point where it feels like something is always resting right on my eyeballs and applying pressure on them. They're also always shifting around in my eyes, making things go out of focus or blurry. I get some slight burning sensations every now and then that I need to blink alot to clear. Also having to carry around a bottle of eyedrops and using it every other hour gets pretty annoying. Having to take them out for a nap is also annoying.

From a comfort point of view I totally prefer my glasses, which are so light anyways that I hardly feel them on my face. Glasses never bothered me in the first place though, and I like the fact that they provide some protection against any sort of projectiles or particles that may come my eye's way.

One thing to keep in mind if you're tight on money for the office visits is the cost of the revisits in the event you don't get things right on the first visit. I suspect my problems lie in the brand of lenses I was given, but a contact lens fitting for me costs $45 even with insurance, and every time I switch brands, it's going to be considered a fitting as the doctor has to stuff them in my eye personally. That's one reason I'm hesitant to go back...who knows how many times I could have to swap brands. That and the fact of having the doctor put the contacts in is a pretty bad experience in itself. I'd say my main reason for wanting contacts is because I love Oakley sunglasses but getting a pair prescriptioned costs ridiculous amounts. But considering my eyes have been on the same prescription for 6 years now, maybe it's worth shelling out for prescriptioned Oakleys since they'd last me for quite some time anyways.

Interesting post, I think that pretty much sums it for me. If I end up with glasses, and have no comfort or other problems with them, I don't think I'll move to contacts, it just seems like it won't be worth it.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Interesting post, I think that pretty much sums it for me. If I end up with glasses, and have no comfort or other problems with them, I don't think I'll move to contacts, it just seems like it won't be worth it.

It also depends on just how motivated you are to get contacts...some people absolutely hate glasses or hate how they look with glasses, or they like the extra peripheral vision and slightly sharper vision they get with contacts enough to put up with the fuss of maintaining and buying contacts. I'm 100% comfortable with glasses and completely prefer how I look with glasses over not having any (I look a little "smarter" especially with a darker colored frame), so other than being able to use any pair of sunglasses I want, I'm not that motivated to get contacts. I'm glad I could at least experience it, and I can get them in and out of my eye pretty quickly, but I'm not so sure I want to deal with it long term. I dunno, I'm still hem hawing over it myself right now.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
It also depends on just how motivated you are to get contacts...some people absolutely hate glasses or hate how they look with glasses, or they like the extra peripheral vision and slightly sharper vision they get with contacts enough to put up with the fuss of maintaining and buying contacts. I'm 100% comfortable with glasses and completely prefer how I look with glasses over not having any (I look a little "smarter" especially with a darker colored frame), so other than being able to use any pair of sunglasses I want, I'm not that motivated to get contacts. I'm glad I could at least experience it, and I can get them in and out of my eye pretty quickly, but I'm not so sure I want to deal with it long term. I dunno, I'm still hem hawing over it myself right now.

Yeah, i'm not in with fashion, I'm the kid who wants to wear a suit to school, LOL, I think glasses are the least of my worries. I think more chicks need to wear glasses, that geek look is hot! With the right pair of headphones, you could have a godess..

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 72
Jag, again with the prepubescent elitism? One of the main reasons people want contacts is vanity, what's so wrong about that? I look and feel better without my glasses on, it's more natural. Sure, I can't see but...

To the rest of you, thanks. Still thinking about it... big chunk of change har har. Maybe I can force a doctor to give me an exam, with my trusty revolver in hand of course...

(j/k)

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Jag, again with the prepubescent elitism? One of the main reasons people want contacts is vanity, what's so wrong about that? We ain't gonna cut you any more slack if you keep rollin' like this. Oy vey.

To the rest of you, thanks. Still thinking about it... big chunk of change har har. Maybe I can force a doctor to give me an exam, with my trusty revolver in hand of course...

(j/k)

Nothing is wrong with that, and I don't want to get into an arguement. I think a lot of women with glasses are really hot, but then again, that's a personal preference, and I know a lot of people probably don't like having glasses on their heads, or the clunkiness and noticability of glasses. I can completely see why people would want contacts, I am just not one of those people at the moment who is concerned about vanity or any of that. Oh, and the correct term is oy vey as mere (if my yiddish is not too messed up, this is one of the sayings I say a lot, although oy vey is okay I guess alone as well.) I'm Jewish, so I hear a lot of yiddish, you?

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Nothing is wrong with that, and I don't want to get into an arguement. I think a lot of women with glasses are really hot, but then again, that's a personal preference, and I know a lot of people probably don't like having glasses on their heads, or the clunkiness and noticability of glasses. I can completely see why people would want contacts, I am just not one of those people at the moment who is concerned about vanity or any of that.

Yet you seem to make it sound like a negative thing, and off-handedly insult those who do want it for vanity purposes? (I can read b/w the lines) I ain't cutting you anymore slack man. I don't want to argue either, but you do need to start being more open-minded, I'd of thought the other threads would've shown you that. Don't grow up to be another Aboy, it's for your own good.
tongue.gif

And yeah, I'm not jewish, sue me.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Yet you seem to make it sound like a negative thing, and off-handedly insult those who do want it for vanity purposes? (I can read b/w the lines) I ain't cutting you anymore slack man. I don't want to argue either, but you do need to start being more open-minded, I'd of thought the other threads would've shown you that. Please don't grow up to be another Aboy, it's for your own good.
tongue.gif

If I made it sound like a negative thing, I apologize, I have nothing against contacts, just that they may not be the perfect thing for I. You don't need to cut me more slack, if you inferred something that I seemed to have implied (which I didn't mean to), then I apologize. I am rather open minded, heh.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

If I made it sound like a negative thing, I apologize, I have nothing against contacts, just that they may not be the perfect thing for I. You don't need to cut me more slack, if you inferred something that I seemed to have implied (which I didn't mean to), then I apologize. I am rather open minded, heh.

Empty apologies for something you claim you didn't mean to imply? From reading your posts so far, your "open-mindedness" needs a lot of work. I don't want this thread to get closed, so just step back, and have some pretzels.

Back to the topic at hand...

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #28 of 72
I have been wearing gas permeables for 10++ years. No real complaints. Once you get used to them and their routine. Generally I find glasses uncomfortable, especially with my extreme nearsighted prescription strengths. I cant see anything beyond ~30 inches.

For sports I prefer contacts. Sometimes headphones irritate my ears with glasses. I dont like it when my earpads press the side earhook-arms into my temples.

Allergy season SUCKS!! Glasses + visene are a must for me from April - may.

Garrett

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have been wearing gas permeables for 10++ years. No real complaints. Once you get used to them and their routine. Generally I find glasses uncomfortable, especially with my extreme nearsighted prescription strengths. I cant see anything beyond ~30 inches.

For sports I prefer contacts. Sometimes headphones irritate my ears with glasses. I dont like it when my earpads press the side earhook-arms into my temples.

Garrett

I feel you, my allergies are damn awful. I hate anything on my head with phones on, so that must be annoyng with glasses.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have been wearing gas permeables for 10++ years. No real complaints. Once you get used to them and their routine.

Garrett

I've worn glasses since elementary school but did try contacts in high school. You really do have to give yourself time to get used to the feel and the routine of care and handling when using contacts. For the first few weeks I sometimes felt like I had something in my eye and allergies were horrible in summer.

Once the initial discomfort passed they worked out pretty well and gave me clarity that was better than my glasses. After a few months I wound up switching back to glasses because I was so used to wearing them that I had the feeling that I was missing something and I also thought I looked better in glasses.

If you do switch to contacts from being a longtime (since early childhood) I'd get a small supply (couple months) and see how it goes. No sense in buying a years supply if you wind up not liking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back