Want to take the plunge (and try eye contacts)
Jun 12, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #46 of 72
Kirosia, your pm box is full, just so ya know...

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobies
The only thing we share in common is rugged good looks but I digress...

Gotta admit, domo kun does have it going on...

Quote:

Kirosia, your pm box is full, just so ya know...

Tis not be full no 'more.

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #48 of 72
i have a question

i've been using acuvue 2's for about 3 years now. i can wear them for 18-19 hours in a day no problem, as long as i stay awake the whole time. even if i have a 20 minute nap, my eyes get dryed out and i need to use drops. am i basically out of luck, or has anyone had any success with other brands, or one of the other acuvue's?

thanks

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
i have a question

i've been using acuvue 2's for about 3 years now. i can wear them for 18-19 hours in a day no problem, as long as i stay awake the whole time. even if i have a 20 minute nap, my eyes get dryed out and i need to use drops. am i basically out of luck, or has anyone had any success with other brands, or one of the other acuvue's?

thanks

There are definitely contacts made better for sleeping in, that breathe better. Mine are made that way, they are focus monthly. Give them a sample!

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #50 of 72
er i should probably elaborate more,

i am using 2 week disposables and i take them out every night. i am just looking for something i can nap with, and OCCASIONALLY wear overnight, but 99% of the time I would take them out before I sleep.

thanks sladeophile, i will check out those Focus lenses.

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
er i should probably elaborate more,

i am using 2 week disposables and i take them out every night. i am just looking for something i can nap with, and OCCASIONALLY wear overnight, but 99% of the time I would take them out before I sleep.

thanks sladeophile, i will check out those Focus lenses.

Try PureVisions. I've done some research lately on new contacts since my Acuvue Advanced sucks, and apparently the PureVisions are nearly consensus "best" disposables. Taking a nap in them is no problem apparently.

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #52 of 72
If it were me, I would just go to your eye doctor and ask him what he/she would suggest and then take some samples. You can even wear 2 different brands at one time. Whatever you like the best, get those. Then you don't waste money on what you "think" will work.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #53 of 72
I wear both contact lenses and glasses. I use Acuvue 2 for my contacts, and I find them more comfortable than the other brands I've tried like Focus and O2 Optix.

For me, glasses do not come close to offering the same vision quality and peripheral vision of contact lenses. Glasses need to be cleaned often with a very soft cloth. Even then, most glasses have very fine scratches on the surface of the lenses, which over time, can hurt the clarity. I find that glasses distort my field of view a little bit, while contact lenses make it as if I was born with perfect eyes.

Both are totally comfortable to me. So its a non-issue.

Glasses are little bit more convenient. But taking care of contact lenses is easy, and takes no more than a couple minutes of my time every day.

Contacts all the way.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoobies
You must hear this a lot but, welcome to the ignore list.

Hate is such a strong word, but I can definitely say I hate mean spirited people like you. Feel free to put me on your ignore list, because you're going on mine.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #55 of 72
I wore contacts for about two years, but eventually went back to glasses.

Why? Well, they're a lot of work. I never had an infection, but that was the result of being scrupulously clean with them. I went by the book every morning and every night. Vision was fine and they were comfortable enough.

But I did not like carrying a bottle of drops with me everywhere. Occcasionally, one would slip out of place or fold itself in half and shoot up under an eyelid. I had to stop whatever I was doing and find a bathroom where I could wash up and sort things out. That drove me nuts.

Between the occasional mishaps and the cleaning regimen, I started putting on the "backup" glasses more and more often each morning and leaving them on. Eventually, I realized that glasses were just fine and I could live with them. I don't miss contacts at all any more. I usually clean the glasses once a day or as needed. I just put them on the nightstand when I go to sleep, too.

The other factor that's a biggie for me is safety. Polycarbonate lenses are pretty much bulletproof. Literally. Handy at the range (which I do enjoy) and also for my hobbies. The day job is pretty soft- dress clothes in a highrise- but I work with my hands in my spare time. Glasses are a perfect replacement for safety goggles. I use nailguns, table saws, jointers, and so on. I was drilling and soldering just last night. With the glasses on, I don't have to worry about an eye injury, ever. It's like having safety glasses on all the time. I like that.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I wore contacts for about two years, but eventually went back to glasses.

Why? Well, they're a lot of work. I never had an infection, but that was the result of being scrupulously clean with them. I went by the book every morning and every night. Vision was fine and they were comfortable enough.

But I did not like carrying a bottle of drops with me everywhere. Occcasionally, one would slip out of place or fold itself in half and shoot up under an eyelid. I had to stop whatever I was doing and find a bathroom where I could wash up and sort things out. That drove me nuts.

Between the occasional mishaps and the cleaning regimen, I started putting on the "backup" glasses more and more often each morning and leaving them on. Eventually, I realized that glasses were just fine and I could live with them. I don't miss contacts at all any more. I usually clean the glasses once a day or as needed. I just put them on the nightstand when I go to sleep, too.

The other factor that's a biggie for me is safety. Polycarbonate lenses are pretty much bulletproof. Literally. Handy at the range (which I do enjoy) and also for my hobbies. The day job is pretty soft- dress clothes in a highrise- but I work with my hands in my spare time. Glasses are a perfect replacement for safety goggles. I use nailguns, table saws, jointers, and so on. I was drilling and soldering just last night. With the glasses on, I don't have to worry about an eye injury, ever. It's like having safety glasses on all the time. I like that.

Heh, if your one who can't follow habits like myself, does that mean contacts would be bad, and even a health risk? And are glasses really resistant to dangerous things such as nails?

Jun 12, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik

Yep, this is a big one for me as well...I would almost dare say that I love wearing glasses for this reason alone. I was once fooling around with an airsoft gun with a close range target, and had the BB come flying right back at me, right towards my right eye. If it weren't for my glasses, I pretty much could've kissed my right eye goodbye. That experience still scares me, and in the few days I've tried contacts I always just felt my eyes were being left wide open and vulnerable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Heh, if your one who can't follow habits like myself, does that mean contacts would be bad, and even a health risk? And are glasses really resistant to dangerous things such as nails?

From everything I've read, YES, it is important that you follow cleaning routines for contacts to the letter. This is your eyes you're talking about after all, you don't want to mess around with them. You could just use daily disposables however and not have to clean a thing, but I think they cost more.

I guess lens durability is dependant upon who makes the lenses to some degree...a generic polycarbonate lens will provide decent protection, but I don't know how shatterproof it is. OTOH there have been tests of say, Oakley lenses where they shot their lenses head on with a BB and and the lenses completely prevented the BB from getting through, and the lenses only got spider cracks. Then again, I don't know what type of situations you'd get into where you need to be worried about a projectile coming at you at 500+ feet per second...
eek.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
So, say you have no problems with headaches or anything, and glasses offer the clearer vision, is there any other real reasons to go to contacts (once again, making the assumption your like somebody like myself who does not care about having glasses on their head.)

I have much much clearer vision with contacts. I suppose that those who don't are wearing the wrong contact lenses. I have soft monthly disposable lenses, not hard ones.
As for hygiene, I allways wash my hands before I put them in or take them out. Never had any problems with infections, etc. I never sleep with them though, did that once and my eyes hurt like hell the next day.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #59 of 72
I love my contacts. Easy to put in, unobtrusive, and I look better with them. Plus I can actually wear good sunglasses without looking like a dork.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
I have much much clearer vision with contacts. I suppose that those who don't are wearing the wrong contact lenses. I have soft monthly disposable lenses, not hard ones.
As for hygiene, I allways wash my hands before I put them in or take them out. Never had any problems with infections, etc. I never sleep with them though, did that once and my eyes hurt like hell the next day.

Contacts would never work for me then, I go to sleep at different hours every day, and I can't keep a pattern going, even if it's as simple as with contacts, lol. I'de forget I have them on or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back