Want to buy .. need advice.
Mar 1, 2011 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

skydancer

New Head-Fier

I'm a noob, so plz excuse the dumb question. I need advice on full-size headphones that are comfortable enough to sleep in, and can drown out external noise (but I must be able to hear the alarm or one that has that function built in - if that's even possible). I'm not really going to be listening to music too much with it, but sound quality will be secondary on my list. Yes, I've tried ear plugs (the good kind) and no, nothing else seems to drown out the noise. I'm willing to spend a good amount if I can get a pair that's comfortable, will cover my ears completely, and will drown out most noise. Suggestions? THANKS!

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 10
keanex, good point. I guess given the choice I'd choose ones that would block out noise the best. I'll figure the rest out later. I'm a light sleeper and on the weekends I get woken up by everything (trains, dogs barking) when I'm supposed to be sleeping in *lol*. I'm new to picking out headphones and really don't know what I'm doing.  

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 10
One soultion for ya, is using an ipod or mp3 that has a built-in alarm function with the noise isolating headphones you plan on purchasing.  That way you can use your regular alarm in conjunction with one in the mp3 player and you won't have to worry about your headphones isolating too much noise out.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 10
How about the Goldring ns 1000's (they're quite cheap now in th uk). They have active noise cancelling and are very comfortable and lite. They are'nt too bad sounding either.

I'm a bit of an insomniac and (when I do actually sleep) anything wakes me, so I've tried quite a few noise canncelling options in the past.

Another option would be Westone in-ears, they fit in the outer part of your ear and if you have soft pillows you can sleep on your side without feeling them too much. Plus if you use the foam tips the isolation is extremely good- plus sound quality is fantastic.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Last time, promise. Well, it seems I'm coming down to Shure SE 315's and Etymotic Research ER6i for noise cancelling. I hedged on the Goldrings, but ultimately it's the SE315 and ER6i. Note: I listen to alot of classical, so bad bass is not an issue. I can't decide.  

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I guess you'll be happy with something like this
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back