Want to buy headphones/amp...really confused!
Mar 15, 2008 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keregioz

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I really need some help with this guys, it's driving my mad!
I consider myself a newb in this area, I own a pair of senn. HD590. I've had it for a few years now, no headphone amp just straight to my hifi system. I don't have any experience with other headphones.
So recently they started coming up with some audio breaking and I thought maybe it's time to get a new better pair of headphones. Right now my choices are the AKG K701 and senn. HD600.
My initial intention was to get a very cheap amp (50-100euros) since I will be giving most of my money to the actual headphones. However after reading alot of posts in these forums I got the impression that there no point in getting a good pair of headphones unless I'm willing to spent some serious money for an amp. Especially for the AKGs. It seems like maybe I should just not buy anything and stay with the hd590...

Isn't there any cheap amp (that can be shipped in greece) that will let me enjoy those better quality phones? I'm willing to go a little further with the price... maybe something like a Little Dot MK 2 II which is about 200$ ?

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Here is a great little amp that's for sale in the head-fi for sale forum that fit's your wants and budget:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...s-pics-306543/

I was tempted to buy it myself but alas I have a headamp GS-1 on order and it would be overkill. Check the specks out at headamp.com...I've read great things about the AE2 but can't say I've heard it. Check out the reviews by doing a search...I know the great Asr head-fier did a great review on it!

Good Luck!

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by keregioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I really need some help with this guys, it's driving my mad!
I consider myself a newb in this area, I own a pair of senn. HD590. I've had it for a few years now, no headphone amp just straight to my hifi system. I don't have any experience with other headphones.
So recently they started coming up with some audio breaking and I thought maybe it's time to get a new better pair of headphones. Right now my choices are the AKG K701 and senn. HD600.
My initial intention was to get a very cheap amp (50-100euros) since I will be giving most of my money to the actual headphones. However after reading alot of posts in these forums I got the impression that there no point in getting a good pair of headphones unless I'm willing to spent some serious money for an amp. Especially for the AKGs. It seems like maybe I should just not buy anything and stay with the hd590...

Isn't there any cheap amp (that can be shipped in greece) that will let me enjoy those better quality phones? I'm willing to go a little further with the price... maybe something like a Little Dot MK 2 II which is about 200$ ?

Yes, the MKII would do great for you. You could try it with your existing headphones and get newer ones later (or sooner if you feel the need).
It is always nice to have a "new" tube amp as your first tube amp. Not only do you get the latest designs and components, but you have a warranty in case something goes wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Good Luck, my friend and please do let us all know what you think...and the k701 is a great headphone!

You're in for a treat!

Blue Jeans ICs are very reasonable if you need from a cdp rca to the AE2....or from mini to RCA.

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good Luck, my friend and please do let us all know what you think...and the k701 is a great headphone!

You're in for a treat!

Blue Jeans ICs are very reasonable if you need from a cdp rca to the AE2....or from mini to RCA.

Thanks...

I went to the blue jeans cable web page but I got lost...I can't figure out how to order a 2xRCA to mini cable...there's not an option to choose what kind of connectors you want in each end.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Hope this helps....it's from #post2143484
To sum up the following...it's not on their website but send them an email request or call them...here is a link...Blue Jeans Cable Contact Information

Drumonrom

here's another choice:

Qables.com*»*WHAT'S NEW

EightyOne
Head-Fi'er

For anyone who cares to know, I got a reply from one of the reps:

We have just introduced a solution for the 3.5mm (1/8") stereo to (2) RCA
connectors market.

It isn't on our website yet, so I've included directions below for placing a
custom order.

We build the cable out of Belden 1509C and the price is $25 plus $2 per foot
(so a 3 foot cable is $31.00. Shipping is charged according to our schedule
at: Blue Jeans Cable Ordering/Shipping Information.

Because 1509C is a miniature, paired audio cable, it is not as well shielded
as audio interconnects we offer like Belden 1505F. This was a necessary
compromise to be able to use the Canare solder-on 1/8" stereo connector.
Because of this, if you are interested in a length over 15 feet or using it
in an environment where is will be subject to a lot of low-frequency noise,
I would recommend you purchase an adapter (we don't have one at this time)
and a stereo audio pair instead. Specs for 1509C are available on the
Belden.com website.

To order the 1509C, you can use our custom item page at
Blue Jeans Cable--Custom Item order page. Be sure to specify cable type,
length and connectors in the description field or in the notes field during
checkout.

If you want a mono mini to RCA cable, we can build this in Belden 1505F for
the same cost as an RCA/RCA cable in 1505F plus $5.00. Use the custom item
link above to order this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back