Want another pair of headphones to complement my D2000s--possibly Grado sr325?
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilcaz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

About two and a half years ago, by recommendation of this forum, I bought some Denon AH-D2000 headphones, and I have been extremely happy with them ever since. About a year ago, also by Head-Fi recommendation, I got a Hifiman EF2a amp and it's been great as well. 

I think it's time for new headphones, though. I have been listening to my buddy's Grado sr225s and my girlfriend's sr60s and I really dig the Grado sound. Much brighter and livelier than my D2000s, though not the excellent low end. As someone who listens to a lot of different types of music, I find the D2000s ideal for electronic music, jazz and hip-hop, but for rock the Grados are clearly better. 

I'm not too knowledgable about how to describe the headphone sound in technical terms, but basically I want a good pair of headphones that complements the D2000s in the way I am trying to describe--an open headphone with a nice bright midrangey sound that is suited well for rock music. My instincts (and some research) tell me I should get the Grado sr325s, but I think the AKG K701s might be nice as well, and I'm sure you all have other recommendations. So what do you think?

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Well..owning both...at the moment I prefer the 325's by a long shot. The mids and highs are fantastic and with a simple vent mod the bass is brought up to an appropriate level to better much the upper ranges. IMO they really need a warm amp though. I don't know anything about the amp you have other than it being a tube amp or a hybrid I guess like my LD...that's good. If you don't have warm tubes you might want to consider rolling some warm tubes in for the Grados.

The K701's...to me they are meh...but I also don't have a proper amp to push them. My LD1+ is fatastic with the Grados but the tubes and warmth don't mesh well with the 701's. I am getting a solid state amp when tax money comes in so I am hoping that really improves the AKG's a lot, otherwise, as they are now, they're not keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back