Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,556 of 3,631
The $25 V2s is the screenless Walnut device that supports file formats other than 16-Bit/44.1/48-KHz WAV & MP3. You can play 24-Bit/192-KHz APE & FLAC files on the V2s.

The $70 V3 has a screen, and uses an AK4490 DAC chip - but there are reports of Firmware / Interface issues.

Thanks for that. No news on the grapevine of anything else new coming out from them then? I could probably hold off 6 months or so...

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #3,557 of 3,631
Oct 30, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #3,558 of 3,631
anyone ever figure out where the Walnuts came from, like who made them?
reminds me of my Nuansa P1
Don't know if its a generic design like the bud shells

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #3,559 of 3,631
Yes F1 would be ideal to power high Z earbuds, unfortunately it's not available anywhere anymore, F2 works as amp but not sure it has the same power, V2S has no amp function.

F3 seems to be a big "NO" from reviews, and the Zishan T1 is taking the same path, those resistive screens suck.

If you can do surface mount soldering, you could try replacing the 4x JRC4580 op-amps, which drive the Balanced output of the F2, with 4x MUSES8920E op-amps.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,560 of 3,631
Yes F1 would be ideal to power high Z earbuds, unfortunately it's not available anywhere anymore, F2 works as amp but not sure it has the same power, V2S has no amp function.

F3 seems to be a big "NO" from reviews, and the Zishan T1 is taking the same path, those resistive screens suck.

V2s does have an amp function, and its powerful - I pair mine with my F1. SOURCE -- The Contraptionist " You can even use it as an amp for another device should you not want to bother messing around with the DAP. If it were only an amp, the price would still be quite reasonable for the power this thing outputs" .See here for the review -- https://thecontraptionist.blog/2017/07/22/walnut-v2s-back-to-basics/

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #3,561 of 3,631

The v2s should have an amp function, mine does, and it's pretty powerful, I have mainly flat head high impedance buds, the nut opens them up fairly well

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,563 of 3,631
This is indeed a very helpful community. In my own newbie way I have gotten alot of enjoyment re-capping some of the great little screen-less chifi daps, swapping opamps etc, and enjoyment from the quality of sound that can be gotten or such small $.

Has anyone found soldering the zishan boards is easier the walnut ones? I only do through hole currently, moving on the trying smd with a hot air station, but not there yet. I found removing existing caps from the walnut quite awkward, whereas the first Zishan Z1 I tried when 100% right first time. I messed up one walnut, but will keep that board for practice. Just wondered if it was just me.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #3,564 of 3,631
The F2 sounds good as an Amp, but has a very limited file format support as a DAP - just MP3 or WAV tracks (16-Bit / 44.1-KHz or 48-KHz).
The V2S also supports FLAC and APE tracks, and High Res up to 24-Bit / 192-KHz - so when combined with the F1, you get High Res and Balanced Output.
I'm thinking of buying the F2 during 11.11 sale. Do you know what is the DAC inside? Can't seem to find this information anywhere. Can you also tell me if it supports shuffle play across all folders? Lastly, how would you describe the sq in reference to other Zishan/Walnut products you own? I used to have a Z1 and loved it.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #3,565 of 3,631
I'm thinking of buying the F2 during 11.11 sale. Do you know what is the DAC inside? Can't seem to find this information anywhere. Can you also tell me if it supports shuffle play across all folders? Lastly, how would you describe the sq in reference to other Zishan/Walnut products you own? I used to have a Z1 and loved it.
I don't have it, but I have the v2, v2s, f1
And if it's anything like those then the dac is a guarded secret, name has been sanded off, no one knows

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #3,566 of 3,631
I don't have it, but I have the v2, v2s, f1
And if it's anything like those then the dac is a guarded secret, name has been sanded off, no one knows
Wow, that's pretty crazy. Probably if it was a really good one, they would've mentioned it. Do the V2 and V2s support shuffle play? The fw on the F2 would be the same I guess.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,567 of 3,631

What's the F2? Got a link? :)

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,568 of 3,631
Wow, that's pretty crazy. Probably if it was a really good one, they would've mentioned it. Do the V2 and V2s support shuffle play? The fw on the F2 would be the same I guess.
The v2s does, the v2 doesn't, but there sound is actually very good " tube like" with focus on mids, so what ever dac they use, it is very good

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,569 of 3,631
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #3,570 of 3,631
There ya go: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/4LtZhrQZz
It's the latest Walnut DAP/DAC/amp with a balanced out. Basically a V2/V2s combined with F1.

I just got two Walnut F2 from a popular store on AliExpress about four weeks ago and all the buttons were not soldered on to the device so no controls.
You can turn it on but that's it.
I was kind of shocked when I opened the case after no matter how I pressed any of the buttons there was no response,
The vendor hasn't been helpful even after I sent them the video they requested.
The two Walnut V2s's worked just fine
I'm ordering four more Vzs's and 4 Zishan Z3 AK 4493s for 11/11.
These will all chrismas presents after I jack them up with new op amps, skins and add a good earbud and HiRes holiday and pop tunes on an SD card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back