Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Nov 11, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #3,571 of 3,631
I just got two Walnut F2 from a popular store on AliExpress about four weeks ago and all the buttons were not soldered on to the device so no controls.
You can turn it on but that's it.
I was kind of shocked when I opened the case after no matter how I pressed any of the buttons there was no response,
The vendor hasn't been helpful even after I sent them the video they requested.
The two Walnut V2s's worked just fine
I'm ordering four more Vzs's and 4 Zishan Z3 AK 4493s for 11/11.
These will all chrismas presents after I jack them up with new op amps, skins and add a good earbud and HiRes holiday and pop tunes on an SD card
Talk about bad luck. Did you get it to work?

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,572 of 3,631
Talk about bad luck. Did you get it to work?

Nope
you can just turn them on and they'll play whatever is on the card until its done
the volume dial works
I guess you could use it as that kind of player
or as a DAC or Amp but that's it

Still waiting for the vendor to come thru
no luck so far
too bad since I also bought 8 Walnut V2s from them
You'd think they'd send me F2 replacements for just that

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #3,573 of 3,631
Hi @DBaldock9 , I read your F2 review on AliExpress. Are these the LME49710HA op-amps you mention - https://bit.ly/2rCDHYL?
You installed two of them instead of one stock OPA2604AP if I understood correctly? How'd you do that?
Sorry for the silly questions, I'm completely oblivious to this kind of moding.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,574 of 3,631
Hi @DBaldock9 , I read your F2 review on AliExpress. Are these the LME49710HA op-amps you mention - https://bit.ly/2rCDHYL?
You installed two of them instead of one stock OPA2604AP if I understood correctly? How'd you do that?
Sorry for the silly questions, I'm completely oblivious to this kind of moding.

I bought some LME49710HA op-amps from a vendor in the USA - but they all seem to be Out of Stock now, since it's a Discontinued item.
And, since they're discontinued, I wonder whether the ones available on AliExpress are genuine, or not.
To make a Dual op-amp for the F2, I mounted two on a BrownDog (P/N: 111001) adapter (which I special ordered with low profile, shoulderless pins installed - contact them by email) - https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/browndog-111001-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,575 of 3,631
I bought some LME49710HA op-amps from a vendor in the USA - but they all seem to be Out of Stock now, since it's a Discontinued item.
And, since they're discontinued, I wonder whether the ones available on AliExpress are genuine, or not.
To make a Dual op-amp for the F2, I mounted two on a BrownDog (P/N: 111001) adapter (which I special ordered with low profile, shoulderless pins installed - contact them by email) - https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/browndog-111001-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter
Thanks a lot for the thorough response! I guess I'll wait for the F2 to arrive, and then I'll try some more conventional op amp swapping :wink:

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #3,576 of 3,631
Nov 26, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #3,577 of 3,631
Hey peeps.

I'm wondering if you can help.

My Walnut (normal one, not V2S) is starting to die, or at least the headphone jack is. In conjunction with this my Fiio A1 is really struggling to hold a charge. It does ok if fully charged, but even 1 day after fully charging and not using it immediately upon charge it'll die within 1hr of use.

I have found the two together to be a decent pairing, I use that combo with the PFE 232 and Yamaha EPH100's. You can see I also pair my A1 with my Alien Shozy as well;

46899499711_efd8024f69_h.jpg

I really like the Walnut for its recall feature, where you last stopped the track (or turned the unit off), that's actually really really handy, in combination with it's fast turn on time it's what makes me reach for it over the Shozy. So does the V2S Walnut also have resume from last position like the earlier Walnuts did?

And what new amplifier could I seek out to replace the A1 with? It must have a Bass Boost feature (as I used that frequently as I often 'Shuffle All' and have an eclectic taste in music), the amplifier must be fairly compact/light however, no bigger than a V2S or Alien Shozy. Affordable is also good.

Basically just wondering what rigs people are using with their current V2S's :)

TIA

BB

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #3,578 of 3,631
Nope
you can just turn them on and they'll play whatever is on the card until its done
the volume dial works
I guess you could use it as that kind of player
or as a DAC or Amp but that's it

Still waiting for the vendor to come thru
no luck so far
too bad since I also bought 8 Walnut V2s from them
You'd think they'd send me F2 replacements for just that

If you'd be interested to sell it, I'd be keen to pay. That's just how I interact with my V2, I seldom hit skip, stop or next, I just turn it on and off :D

You'd have to let me know just one thing. When turning on and off, is the resume exactly like the V2 and it picks up mid song and not the start of the track like the V2S does? This is important to me because I tend to make a single 4gb WAV file for the sd card with crossfade, and so I just turn it on and off via the volume knob and it makes a great player in that regard, something to pickup where you last left off etc.

I just bought a V2S and I love the EQ Classical when paired with the M-Audio amp, but the lack of resume mid song is killing me, as well as the fact I have to toggle the EQ each time I switch on the player to Classical! Urgh... is there a way to disable some of this via an extreme hack?

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #3,579 of 3,631
If you'd be interested to sell it, I'd be keen to pay. That's just how I interact with my V2, I seldom hit skip, stop or next, I just turn it on and off :D

You'd have to let me know just one thing. When turning on and off, is the resume exactly like the V2 and it picks up mid song and not the start of the track like the V2S does? This is important to me because I tend to make a single 4gb WAV file for the sd card with crossfade, and so I just turn it on and off via the volume knob and it makes a great player in that regard, something to pickup where you last left off etc.

I just bought a V2S and I love the EQ Classical when paired with the M-Audio amp, but the lack of resume mid song is killing me, as well as the fact I have to toggle the EQ each time I switch on the player to Classical! Urgh... is there a way to disable some of this via an extreme hack?

The walnut V2s has the resume feature
I know because I bought 8 for xmas and prestaged them to play a specific xmas track when turned on
It was set to play through a folder of christmas tunes I loaded onto a 16GB card

PM me an address and I'll send you both F2s if you are in the US
All I ask if you can find a way to fix them (like soldering the buttons back on and getting them to work)
is to send me back one and you can keep the other

I have a couple more V2s's lying around too
But the've been "Christmasfied" which means I've skinned them and added an acrylic top clip as well as plopped in some new OpAmp

waze2a.jpg

75226326_926902211014979_1724829763375202304_n.jpg

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #3,580 of 3,631
anyone in the US where I can mail via usps a small flat rate box interested in a broken F2 (buttons need to be re-attached/soldered )
send me a PM

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #3,582 of 3,631
20210216_154010.jpg

Picked up Walnut F2 to use in amp mode. It's quite, quite impressive off the bat.

Did some a/b testing between 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs: same IEM/cable- with and without 2.5F/3.5M ddhifi adapter. Single-ended 3.5mm is significantly better sounding to me, for sure. Must be due to four current opamps used in single-ended output (thank you @DBaldock9 for info).

From my understanding OPA2604 voltage opamp is rollable without soldering required. Any good options to roll here?

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,583 of 3,631
20210216_154010.jpg

Picked up Walnut F2 to use in amp mode. It's quite, quite impressive off the bat.

Did some a/b testing between 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs: same IEM/cable- with and without 2.5F/3.5M ddhifi adapter. Single-ended 3.5mm is significantly better sounding to me, for sure. Must be due to four current opamps used in single-ended output (thank you @DBaldock9 for info).

From my understanding OPA2604 voltage opamp is rollable without soldering required. Any good options to roll here?

Can't imagine you can turn that volume more than 1/4 for those A6 minis, mine can drive many of my full size cans and the F1 can drive just about anything! I pretty much never use the F1 stack with iem's cause I can barely turn the VU up at all except for maybe these old things :wink:

Havi Nutz.JPG

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #3,584 of 3,631
Can't imagine you can turn that volume more than 1/4 for those A6 minis, mine can drive many of my full size cans and the F1 can drive just about anything! I pretty much never use the F1 stack with iem's cause I can barely turn the VU up at all except for maybe these old things :wink:

Havi Nutz.JPG
I think F1 might be more even more powerful than F2?

These minis are not demanding but I do find they sound better amped.

Knob not turned far for sure though, but no channel inbalance to speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back