Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,586 of 3,631
I think F1 might be more even more powerful than F2?

These minis are not demanding but I do find they sound better amped.

Knob not turned far for sure though, but no channel inbalance to speak of.

Oh for sure the F1 is almost or at least sounds 3 times the v2, it drives my AKG 702's like crazy of course 553's and 668B's it'll blow your head off :rolling_eyes:

@BruceBanner , I've not tried AliEx in a while but you used to could get them there:thinking:

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #3,587 of 3,631
Oh for sure the F1 is almost or at least sounds 3 times the v2, it drives my AKG 702's like crazy of course 553's and 668B's it'll blow your head off :rolling_eyes:

@BruceBanner , I've not tried AliEx in a while but you used to could get them there:thinking:
Yeah seems only the F2 is there. What's the deal with the F2, it looks more like my original Walnut V2 with the Play buttons etc. Isn't the F1 a straight up Amp?

I'm really down at the moment :frowning2:

My Fiio A1 amp doesn't have enough battery life anymore, nor does the M-Audio amp. Both can't do more than 2-3hrs off a single charge. I LOVE screenless DAPs but all the ones I know of (Shozy, Walnut etc) I still feel need amped.
But with an amp I love to have some kind of treble or bass control, sadly all seem to have just Bass.

It seems too much to ask for a DAP that has enough power, a dedicated bass or EQ switch to toggle sound signatures etc. I'm back to my AP100 tho it too is low on battery life :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3,588 of 3,631
The F2 was supposed to be an upgrade to the V2S
I got two of them from AliX a year ago but none of the buttons were soldered on
You could stick a card in and it would play thru with no controls other than volume.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #3,589 of 3,631
The F2 was supposed to be an upgrade to the V2S
I got two of them from AliX a year ago but none of the buttons were soldered on
You could stick a card in and it would play thru with no controls other than volume.
Haha, that actually sounds like my ideal player. Did it auto resume from the last known point?

I really like the VS2, though there area few things that bug me.

1) turning off and on, it resumes track only and not where you were in the track
2) everytime I have to toggle to the EQ setting I want on startup
3) toggling EQ restarts the track! Grr...

The original V2 was great but my volume button got weird and turning it does that thing where only some music is coming into one ear or the other, like slight disconnection. It resumes from exact left off point which I love, but has no EQ.

Honestly I'd just love a REALLY nice amp, one with some kind of treble and bass knob to fine tune. I may have to try a replacement battery for the AP100, though I have no idea how to take one out and replace, hope its idiet proof.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #3,590 of 3,631
Looking to pick up a F1, where are they for sale currently, Penon shows out of stock.

The F1 has been discontinued for at least a year. I thought I had found a shop on AliExpress, and a different one, not on AliExpress, last Spring - but both of them replied back to me, saying that they couldn't get the amp any longer.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,591 of 3,631
20210216_154010.jpg

Picked up Walnut F2 to use in amp mode. It's quite, quite impressive off the bat.

Did some a/b testing between 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs: same IEM/cable- with and without 2.5F/3.5M ddhifi adapter. Single-ended 3.5mm is significantly better sounding to me, for sure. Must be due to four current opamps used in single-ended output (thank you @DBaldock9 for info).

From my understanding OPA2604 voltage opamp is rollable without soldering required. Any good options to roll here?

With 3.5mm output, F2 sounds a bit sweet whereas with 2.5mm it is very linear and almost neutral sounding. Gives a great option to enjoy IEMs with diverse signatures. This has become part of my mini-desktop setup as it saves me tons of monies and space without any compromise. :D

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3,593 of 3,631
so the F2 is cheap as hell and has those socketed op amps, what mods can I do to it and how? What can I improve on it without ruining the point in the cheap price tag?
I mostly use it as a dac, do different op amp chips improve sound on dac mode?

The F2 has a single socketed op-amp, which is very close to the control buttons.
The mod I did, was to assemble a low profile board with a socket, that moved the socket away from the buttons. This allows larger, discreet op-amps to be installed.
I also swapped the 4 op-amps that drive the Single-Ended Output, and the 2 differential line drivers for the Balanced Output (these are soldered on the bottom of the circuit board).
Another mod was to increase the value of the electrolytic capacitor, and reduce the value of the series resistors for the outputs.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3,594 of 3,631
The F2 has a single socketed op-amp, which is very close to the control buttons.
The mod I did, was to assemble a low profile board with a socket, that moved the socket away from the buttons. This allows larger, discreet op-amps to be installed.
I also swapped the 4 op-amps that drive the Single-Ended Output, and the 2 differential line drivers for the Balanced Output (these are soldered on the bottom of the circuit board).
Another mod was to increase the value of the electrolytic capacitor, and reduce the value of the series resistors for the outputs.
Can I replace the socketed opamp with a single version of burson v5i?

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,595 of 3,631
Can I replace the socketed opamp with a single version of burson v5i?

Yes, the V5i-D fits, with no mods, and the case should close, as well.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,597 of 3,631
anybody have walnut F2 power output specifically between 32-600 ohms?

You can calculate the approximate output of the of the F2, by knowing that the Single-Ended Outputs are being driven by:
L+ = ~140mA (35mA x 4 OPA2604 channels in parallel)
R+ = ~140mA (35mA x 4 OPA2604 channels in parallel)

The Balanced Outputs are being driven by:
L+/L- = ~50mA (DRV134 Line Driver)
R+/R- = ~50mA (DRV134 Line Driver)
Less current, but twice the voltage.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,598 of 3,631
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #3,600 of 3,631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back