Walnut F2

Dolly Driver

New Head-Fier
Walnut F2
Pros: Great sound
Easy to try different opamps
3.5 se and 2.5mm balanced output
Metal build
Cheap
Cons: Nothing to complain about for the price of this player
I am a self appointed audiophile extraordinaire and a self appointed football expert⚽ 👍😂
I bought my Walnut F2 on AliExpress for £23.29.

The supplied charging cable stopped working after 2 charges. That went straight in the bin🗑️.

On first use there was a crackling sound audible in-between tracks. This has turned into a humming noise after a few weeks use. This noise may be unique to my unit as another owner on head-fi told me that he does not hear any noise on his F2. The noise doesn’t annoy me as such. I just know that its there. I listen out for it now😂

The sound from the player is great. The sound is warm with nice bass.

I have tried a few different opamps. OPA2604 is the original. I have tried OPA1612 and NJM5532D. Both seem to have improved the sound. I am enjoying hearing the different sounds that different opamps offer. The opamp can be easily accessed by removing the 4 Allen screws on the top of the device and lifting the top of the unit off. I have replaced all of the Allen bolts with M2 2x8mm bolts with Phillips heads for ease of removal.

The F2 only plays wav or MP3 files. There is no screen.

I love this player for the music quality 🎶and the fun factor. I have many different music players but I am finding myself reaching for the F2 every time that I want to listen to music.

Highly recommended.
Last edited:
LaughMoreDaily
I just put the OPA627 in my F2. I quite like the sound as it's bright and sparkly vs the dark AD825 (but I think it may sound better). I look forward to hearing your favorite combo soon. I'm curious, do you know any portable music players/cell phones with the same sound as the DIY Walnut F2?
DBaldock9
DBaldock9
I didn't really listen to the F2 very much, before modifying it.
The F2, and the previous F1, both use TI DRV134 single-ended to differential line driver chips, for the Balanced 2.5mm output - so they may sound a bit different than devices that use regular op-amp.
LaughMoreDaily
The F1 slipped through my grasp and I never bought one... :frowning2: These Zishan's and Walnut's are so challenging to make sound good when I could easily listen to a Shanling M0 or Fiio M3K and be pleased. The Walnut V2 and V2S are great inventions. The F2 is a bit harder to figure out (get perfect) despite it's better sound.