Walnut F2

General Information

Walnut F2 Professional Lossless HiFi Music MP3 Player Max Support 64GB TF Card Expansion USB Sound Card Balance OUT

Audio interface: standard 3.5mm headphone jack, 2.5mm balanced headphone ja
Op amp chip: OPA2604*1, JRC4580
Maximum memory card capacity: 64
Storage medium: TF ca
Charging voltage:
Sound style: Focus on vocals, sweeter.

Latest reviews

Dolly Driver

New Head-Fier
Walnut F2
Pros: Great sound
Easy to try different opamps
3.5 se and 2.5mm balanced output
Metal build
Cheap
Cons: Nothing to complain about for the price of this player
I am a self appointed audiophile extraordinaire and a self appointed football expert⚽ 👍😂
I bought my Walnut F2 on AliExpress for £23.29.

The supplied charging cable stopped working after 2 charges. That went straight in the bin🗑️.

On first use there was a crackling sound audible in-between tracks. This has turned into a humming noise after a few weeks use. This noise may be unique to my unit as another owner on head-fi told me that he does not hear any noise on his F2. The noise doesn’t annoy me as such. I just know that its there. I listen out for it now😂

The sound from the player is great. The sound is warm with nice bass.

I have tried a few different opamps. OPA2604 is the original. I have tried OPA1612 and NJM5532D. Both seem to have improved the sound. I am enjoying hearing the different sounds that different opamps offer. The opamp can be easily accessed by removing the 4 Allen screws on the top of the device and lifting the top of the unit off. I have replaced all of the Allen bolts with M2 2x8mm bolts with Phillips heads for ease of removal.

The F2 only plays wav or MP3 files. There is no screen.

I love this player for the music quality 🎶and the fun factor. I have many different music players but I am finding myself reaching for the F2 every time that I want to listen to music.

Highly recommended.
Last edited:
DBaldock9
I purchased some small Philips Screws (I think they're 2.5mm x 8mm), and installed them on the top four corners, to make it easier to remove the top of the case.
LaughMoreDaily
LaughMoreDaily
I own those screws already and the opamp you recommended, but I'll figure out how to take out the existing allan screws eventually? If I remember correctly I read somewhere that you use the OPA604 with yours, or? I also heard the Muses02 works great with the F2?
DBaldock9
Not the OPA604, but I do have a few other OPA op-amps that I've used in the F2.
The MUSES02 does sound good in the F2, but mine is already fairly warm sounding, due to installing 4x MUSES8920E to drive the 3.5mm output.
Probably my overall favorite is the Dual OPA627AU on a DIP-8 header (but that's ~$62 :astonished: ).
Currently, I've got Dual LME49710HA (TO-99 round metal case) on a DIP-8 header - but since it's so wide, I had to swing the upgraded C21 up out of the way, and the top of the case won't go on.

Comments

DBaldock9

Headphoneus Supremus
One interesting thing about the F2 - If you connect it as a USB DAC (16-Bit / 48-KHz) to a Windows 10 PC, pressing the Play/Pause button will Play & Pause YouTube music in the Chrome browser. It may also work with other music players, and other OS's, but I haven't tried them.