Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #556 of 3,631
What exactly do C1 and C2 do in there , the tiny 10uf ones?

Going to keep the Elna 1000uf filter in the one, and swap out the Chenbin in the other(s)
I did find some blue higher end Panasonic 2200uf that are the right size for the Chenbin swap ( unsure exact series AARRRGH only 6.3 volt rated). 
=Are there solid Oscon in that large a value even? I suppose I could chain a few together they are low profile enough :)
 Elna Cerafine 2200uf I have here from a previous order are much too big sadly.
Can't even see how they would fit even with extensions to place it elsewhere in there.

Anyhow I'm ordering some other things from Solen so will see what they have that works.
Fun stuff!

Will likely use 3 Oscon SEPC 470uf 16V together ( in parallel )per unit to get at least up around 1400uf for Chenbin swappage , it should all fit with some messing around I checked with one of different value here for size. I used those SEPC in another thing they seem to be clean with extremely good specs.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #558 of 3,631
^6.3v is low for the filter imo, low ESR is key here so I'm using Pana FM 1500uf 25v, Oscon's would also be great here alos, but I like to keep things sleek, chaining caps together is not my style.

I talked to the walnut creator and he said upping the capacitance of the filter wouldn't have a big effect, it is just the stored energy for the rest of the circuit, and bass takes the biggest toll on this storage, but he says that 1000uf is sufficient for good bass etc, but I'm pretty sure increasing the headroom will have benefits if the walnut is capable of resolving them, like tighter bass and better separation from the rest of the frequencies.

I'm going to ask him if the 10uf input caps are bypassed when not used in amp mode.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #559 of 3,631
So I'm ignoring my family and doing some testing;
This is by no means super accurate but the captures below were made similarly. I had my iPhone 6 with RTA software on a towel with PortaPros about a half-inch from the mic. I used the same uSD card with Pink Noise and just changed between Walnut, C3/NX1, Alien.

Walnut;

C3/NX1;

Alien;

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #562 of 3,631
just realized not much point in  swapping the big single one with 3 Oscon I'll use something else there,  will replace the two 100's with those Oscon instead.
 Easier also and likely more noticeable.

Anyhow enough blabbing orderin' time.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #563 of 3,631
  I should put some stickers / art on mine! No idea what those earbuds are, but they look cool......

Looks like they changed out the volume knob as well.  And stickers make everything look better. 

--

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #564 of 3,631

Looks like they changed out the volume knob as well.  And stickers make everything look better. 

--

They didn't say with which part, did they? I'd be extremely interested to know as it would save me a good amount of measuring and trying to find a compatible part, if anyone's found one. An improved volume knob would be an easy way to get better sound quality, not to mention the stock one feels a little rough. But, can't complain for the price.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #565 of 3,631
  They didn't say with which part, did they? I'd be extremely interested to know as it would save me a good amount of measuring and trying to find a compatible part, if anyone's found one. An improved volume knob would be an easy way to get better sound quality, not to mention the stock one feels a little rough. But, can't complain for the price.

They did not say. 

Dude, you just need to get on Facebook...  haa... lots of cool earbuds, amps and DAPs out there!  That is actually where I saw the Walnut V2 first, on Facebook.

--

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #568 of 3,631
What's the size rated at 12.5 wide?

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #569 of 3,631
  What's the size rated at 12.5 wide?

Yeah the 25v is 12.5, the 16v is 10.

Very interesting is that the noise with the stock opamp is GONE, now with 8 ohm IT03 I can comfortably use NE5532.

Also very interesting is that now LM6172 becomes unusable! Sound is just distortion and grain, LM6172 sounds very nice in stock walnut, but it has bad noise level like NE5532, but now with new filter cap the LM6172 becomes unusable, strange!

I am thinking the cap just needs time to settle and things will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back