Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #541 of 3,631
Ok thanks I set mine up with folders and seemed to work also - but was a little glitchy - probably due to ID3Tags/Metadata - I haven't stripped the data yet.

But I will go to flat files or full album que rips.

Any preferred/suggested Micro SD card size? - Cheers

I have mine setup with folders and the tags are stripped, no glitches or issues! I images just like Colorfly, Alien etc, if it's FAT32 you can use whatever size you want. I have thrown in a 64gb with no issue.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #542 of 3,631
I've started using a 64GB as well but your post made me remember I didn't post about it!

Also, for those of you with metadata woes, don't forget foobar2000 is 100% freeware and does the job perfectly and quickly. Select your tracks, right  click, Properties, tools, remove tags, "OK" !

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #544 of 3,631
  I wonder how much should we care about the turn off device/no relay thing? Is it only for sensitive Iem or high impedance headphones are concerned as well?

Even with a thousand-dollars amp with relays, the risk still exists, so it's always advised to unplug before turning off.

The biggest problem I've found, rather, is the "pop" when you plug your headphones in. It  could have been solved with a relay but there is none in the Walnut design as is. My "trick" for this is, when I have them around, to plug some  junk headphones I hate in.  because the "pop" on plug in only happens to the first set plugged in after power on. So I plug in a bad set of headphones, those get the "pop", and then I switch to different headphones and never is a pop.

I worked this method out after one too many times with my headphones already on, plugged them into the Walnut and got the unpleasant sound. Plus it can't be good for headphones either.

Will  the Walnut destroy your headphones?  You'd probably have to try pretty hard...

(It is also nice to have these junk headphones around for DIY work, because when building amps you don't always want to plug in a nice set of headphones if you only need to know if it works or not, and don't mind if something is way too loud or otherwise sending harmful signals to the phones...)

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #545 of 3,631
  Even with a thousand-dollars amp with relays, the risk still exists, so it's always advised to unplug before turning off.

The biggest problem I've found, rather, is the "pop" when you plug your headphones in. It  could have been solved with a relay but there is none in the Walnut design as is. My "trick" for this is, when I have them around, to plug some  junk headphones I hate in.  because the "pop" on plug in only happens to the first set plugged in after power on. So I plug in a bad set of headphones, those get the "pop", and then I switch to different headphones and never is a pop.

I worked this method out after one too many times with my headphones already on, plugged them into the Walnut and got the unpleasant sound. Plus it can't be good for headphones either.

Will  the Walnut destroy your headphones?  You'd probably have to try pretty hard...

(It is also nice to have these junk headphones around for DIY work, because when building amps you don't always want to plug in a nice set of headphones if you only need to know if it works or not, and don't mind if something is way too loud or otherwise sending harmful signals to the phones...)

My ears hurt just reading this.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #547 of 3,631
added some measurements of my Walnut V2 in RMAA thread, if anyone interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087

(also added GAD miniA1 amplifier measurements:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107386 )

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #548 of 3,631
Very sad and lonely brand new LME49860 opamp...

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #550 of 3,631

My "trick" for this is, when I have them around, to plug some  junk headphones I hate in.  because the "pop" on plug in only happens to the first set plugged in after power on. So I plug in a bad set of headphones, those get the "pop", and then I switch to different headphones and never is a pop.

Let's see... I think I have some portapro's lying around somewhere....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Ha ha just kidding! I know exactly where they are - on my head! I quite like them and use them fairly often.

Well, they are sportapro drivers or ksc75 drives (depending on my mood) on parts express headband, but that's close enough :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #551 of 3,631

Let's see... I think I have some portapro's lying around somewhere....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Ha ha just kidding! I know exactly where they are - on my head! I quite like them and use them fairly often.

Well, they are sportapro drivers or ksc75 drives (depending on my mood) on parts express headband, but that's close enough :)

Slightly OT but I was thinking about getting some of those PE headbands. I like the PP/SP drivers more because of the better bass response. How's the sportapro drivers on the PE headband compare to real Portapro sound?

added some measurements of my Walnut V2 in RMAA thread, if anyone interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087

I'll add this to the Walnut FAQ. Just curious why you think your own measurements are inaccurate though?

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #552 of 3,631
  Slightly OT but I was thinking about getting some of those PE headbands. I like the PP/SP drivers more because of the better bass response. How's the sportapro drivers on the PE headband compare to real Portapro sound?

I listen to the PP/SP drivers more as well for the same reason. I like them on the PE headband because compared to the portapro/sportapro headband, they sit lightly on the ears, thus calming down the bass which I felt was a bit elevated/bloomy at times. 

Edit: I also did these mods to the sportapro drivers:
https://youtu.be/XMFGuNa2WEM

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #553 of 3,631
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #554 of 3,631
  I'll add this to the Walnut FAQ. Just curious why you think your own measurements are inaccurate though?

Thanks.
Because I've started measuring things recently, and I'm not sure 100% everything I do is all right :p
Thanks again to @Samueru Sama, who shows an infinite patience when teaching me, and to @HiFiChris, @castleofargh, @bartzky, etc., for spreading great valuable knowledge along many threads.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #555 of 3,631
The pop of the walnut is not very strong to me, it isn't annoying even with sensitive iem's, the d200 dap though, that thing has a wicked pop, almost painful to the ears, but nothing you can't tough out. I doubt you would damage your iem's unless there was a fault in your dap. Personally I like that there is no relay's in these daps as that's one less thing in the analog signal path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back