Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,411 of 3,631
Don't worry, I don't think one review is like reading the Bible. I just mentioned it. But it has to have some range of truth.

Does it really, I mean other than personal preference?

It's hardly a review either, if it was I would probably agree that it had to have some substance to it. Just to throw out it's not good means nothing to me as long as one doesn't even bother to elaborate on why but that's probably just me.

I've also got the AP60 and I know which I prefer based on sq only so as always YMMV (although that seems to be a abbreviation many people don't understand the meaning, or the concept, of).

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,412 of 3,631
  Serious? That sounds depressing. Out of the Fiio 1II, Shanming M1 and the AP60, one review said the AP60 had the worst sound, and if this thing sounds worse... :frowning2: Why are people going Bananas over it? Weird.

My impressions are strictly AP60 vs Walnut. I haven't heard the X1 ii or the Shanling M1. Have heard X1 1st gen and remember it sounding gooey but still not as unrefined as the walnut at least.
However try it yourself. It's only $25. Unfortunately for me it's a Lofi sounding player. 
Headphones used - Sennheiser HD650
Earphones - Auglamour RX1

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,413 of 3,631
Does it really, I mean other than personal preference?

It's hardly a review either, if it was I would probably agree that it had to have some substance to it. Just to throw out it's not good means nothing to me as long as one doesn't even bother to elaborate on why but that's probably just me.

I've also got the AP60 and I know which I prefer based on sq only so as always YMMV (although that seems to be a abbreviation many people don't understand the meaning, or the concept, of).

I did mention WHY I didn't like it. What else do you want me to elaborate?
Again, It's too unrefined and crap midrange. Vocals have no body and all that I heard was some grainy upper midrange/lower treble.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #1,414 of 3,631
I did mention WHY I didn't like it. What else do you want me to elaborate?
Again, It's too unrefined and crap midrange. Vocals have no body and all that I heard was some grainy upper midrange/lower treble.

I think you just did, thanks :wink:

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,415 of 3,631
Vocals have no body

This is the opposite of what I hear.

Both male (Marillion, Eagles, Peter Gabriel, Dio era Rainbow, Justin Timberlake) and female vocals (Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos, Delain) excel on mine to my ears and don't lack body whatsoever.

I'm not going to compare in full to the Hidizs as I like that as well, far more than the full review I've read on HeadFi. However I can't say the Hidizs has better vocals than the Walnut. I do prefer vocals on the Walnut to the XDuoo X3. And the Walnut gives me the opportunity to use the Zen 2, which the Hidizs may struggle with, certainly unamplified, and which really excels with vocals.

Both the above players by the way sound well above the league of budget £20 players (again to my ears and music preferences, and taking a typical budget player as a Ruizu or Benjie, which are decent in their own right).

I have nothing higher end than the Hidizs / Xduoo to compare with.

I also don't have the Auglamour unfortunately (I have no luck with metal earbuds! My ears can't hold the weight) else I'd give it a try.

So, different tastes / sound preferences / music etc I guess, provided there isn't a fault on your Walnut, and you haven't indicated one.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,417 of 3,631
Speaking of different op amps: do they affect the output impedance in any way? Curious to know if there's any good choice for low-impedance IEMs specifically.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,418 of 3,631
  Speaking of different op amps: do they affect the output impedance in any way? Curious to know if there's any good choice for low-impedance IEMs specifically.

Someone would have to measure it to be certain of this. The opamp has more influence on the output signal than most amps, so i would advise re-checking it with different opamps. They can make the background hiss and even on/off pop disappear.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #1,419 of 3,631
Need confirmation, the volume drop slightly with the LME49860NA op amp in the walnut. I have to turn it to 10.00 -11.00 position on TY Hi Z 32 ohm earbud. Normally at 9.00 -10.00 position. Is this normal. Are there any loudness different between the op amps beside SQ different. If there is a different in loudness what are the spec we should watch out for.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #1,420 of 3,631
Not in my book, I had the AP60 and gave it away because it's sound signature was thin and live-less for my taste. It's a great transport but nothing else.

Yep, midrange onwards AP60 is indeed a little thin but flatter than the Walnut.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,422 of 3,631
  Need confirmation, the volume drop slightly with the LME49860NA op amp in the walnut. I have to turn it to 10.00 -11.00 position on TY Hi Z 32 ohm earbud. Normally at 9.00 -10.00 position. Is this normal. Are there any loudness different between the op amps beside SQ different. If there is a different in loudness what are the spec we should watch out for.

They will vary slightly. I have a couple opamps that are a little louder than the NE5532 and my OPA's are slightly quieter than it. A little variation in overall volume is to be expected.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,423 of 3,631
Op amps rolling are fun and addictive, off to RS components to get me some more. I'll be more happier listen to the different SQ of the op amps than comparing the walnut to other DAPs.
I have a Fiio X5ii after 10 months the SQ is still the same and I can't DIY anything to it cos of retaining the resale value. 
As a newbie, I welcome more update on op amps SQ, recommendations and PM from the experience members. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,424 of 3,631

Many opamps including the stock opamp already has dead low output impedance, but the walnut's circuit does not seem to have low output impedance by way of the direct output coupling with no feedback, so the walnut will never be a low impedance machine. But no feedback circuit has some sonic advantages even though it also has technical cons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back