Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 9, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #1,172 of 3,631
Long story: I bought my Walnut from Taobao (because it was cheap - my mistake!). I didn't realize that it was going to be shipped to a 3rd party shipping company that wanted more money to get it shipped to me (at least, I think that's what they wanted). I couldn't find out how much that was going to be. There were no links to get to them.  The seller doesn't speak English, so he wasn't much help. I tried online chat, and they sent me to the forwarding company's online help, but they don't speak English, so we just clucked at each other like chickens. They wanted me to phone them in China, which I couldn't do. The online taobao girl (I presume) named Dada helped me over the course of a few nights to get the "return from warehouse to seller" page filled in (with seller's chinese address etc), so I think it's now on it's way back to the seller, who will in theory provide me with a refund. All in all I've probably spent 4 hours dealing with this. I was close to donating my walnut to the shipping company lol!

Short story: so, where should I buy a Walnut from lol?

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #1,173 of 3,631
  Gearbest definitely seems on top of the world as for running their company. Shipping is almost immediate. It's amazing!

Careful, don't choose the Nertherland Post for their free shipping, that mean surface mail. I am still waiting for my stuffs, shipped off gestbest on the 24.11.16, ordered on 22.11.16,(fast processing) till now the shipment still have not arrived here. Yes they have tracking- it just said -on transport to the country of destination. I email them, they confirmed international surface mail. that was my mistake.
Aliexpress or Fasttech.com free shipping is much better 12-15 days most 20 days.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,174 of 3,631
  Got the Walnut today, nice - could not resist to compare the
effects of different op amps, so I just started the

Walnut amp rolling madness  
L3000.gif

I really enjoy the muses02 with the walnut!

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,177 of 3,631
  Hey, I finally received my walnut...and it definitely sounds great with my 1993 HD 580s :)  

But I wasn't sure if I had an issue with the volume pot.  I am using it in amp mode....the first few mm of the knob, the music sounds scratchy and gets muted.  It actually then gets slightly quieter before the amp suddenly seems to fully turn on, with a loud wonderful sound.  But the rest of the half of the knob seems to do nothing after getting excessively loud at the point the sound fully turns on.

Does this sound normal?  It seems to only be usable at a volume louder than I would like most times, in amp mode.  Hopefully someone can help me..

used as an amp, when amplifying a 1.874Vrms signal: starts at1.30h, 0.18Vrms at 2h, 0.4Vrms at 2.30h; 3Vrms at 3h, 5Vrms at 4h, 5.8Vrms at 5h, and 6.1 to 6.4Vrms from 6h to 10h); but there is clipping above 4.2Vrms, so suitable volumes are from 2h to 3.30h; impossible to fine adjust the volume. and very big imbalance, due to the volume potentiometer (bigger at first ticks).

the postman finally arrived, and now I have my walnut v2!

I first charged it up like a good boy and then went straight to try out some RMAA unloaded charting.

disclaimer: all DAPs have EQ off, and their volume roughly at 80%, and laptop mic-in at 100%

first up, Walnut V2 with volume pot at 12 o clock position (assuming off is at or close to 6 o clock position), this is so loud that I had to adjust my laptop's mic-in volume to 20% from 100% to avoid clipping.

next, Walnut V2 with volume pot at 9 o clock position (mic-in volume back to 100%), does this mean I get a channel imbalance at 9 o clock position?  however, I am not hearing any channel imbalance like the chart shows.  and as a reference, the 'nut at 9 o clock is same loudness as my Fiio X3ii volume at 60 mark.

in regards to the Walnut's roll off, unfortunately, I have to say that at comparable volume, and bass quantity and quality aside as I am still not very good at describing sounds yet, my Fiio X3ii has more bass than the 'nut =(  
edit: some1 please help me with attachments?

thank you very much for your measurements. you were fast! they confirm my walnut is "ok".

use the save button in these windows to save the pic as a file. then you can attach the files to your post (no window, only the graph).

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,178 of 3,631
Tried both Muses01/02, both sound well and detailed, the 02 with significant more bass.

But - Lo and behold - the cheapo AD825 gives a wider sound stage in the Walnut and is a tad more musical. The Muses show better details but their price point compared the the cost of the Walnut itself is bordering insanity. The 825 is pure fun in the Walnut.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,179 of 3,631
Tried both Muses01/02, both sound well and detailed, the 02 with significant more bass.

But - Lo and behold - the cheapo AD825 gives a wider sound stage in the Walnut and is a tad more musical. The Muses show better details but their price point compared the the cost of the Walnut itself is bordering insanity. The 825 is pure fun in the Walnut.
which site did you get yours

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #1,180 of 3,631
BTW, I wonder if anyone had a chance to try Walnut with Shozy Zero? How does it sound?

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,182 of 3,631
I really enjoy the muses02 with the walnut!

Nice. I've got MUSES01 and MUSES02. I'll give them a try!

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,183 of 3,631
the postman finally arrived, and now I have my walnut v2!

I first charged it up like a good boy and then went straight to try out some RMAA unloaded charting.

disclaimer: all DAPs have EQ off, and their volume roughly at 80%, and laptop mic-in at 100%

first up, Walnut V2 with volume pot at 12 o clock position (assuming off is at or close to 6 o clock position), this is so loud that I had to adjust my laptop's mic-in volume to 20% from 100% to avoid clipping.

next, Walnut V2 with volume pot at 9 o clock position (mic-in volume back to 100%), does this mean I get a channel imbalance at 9 o clock position?  however, I am not hearing any channel imbalance like the chart shows.  and as a reference, the 'nut at 9 o clock is same loudness as my Fiio X3ii volume at 60 mark.

next up, Fiio X3ii, volume at 85 mark and laptop mic-in at 100%

next up, AGPTek M20 (aka Benjie S5), volume at 18 and laptop mic-in at 100%

finally, Ruizi X02 (aka AGPTek A02), volume at 3/4 of that full circle, laptop mic-in at 100%

in regards to the Walnut's roll off, unfortunately, I have to say that at comparable volume, and bass quantity and quality aside as I am still not very good at describing sounds yet, my Fiio X3ii has more bass than the 'nut =(

edit: some1 please help me with attachments?

That is funny, I've always thought that the ruizu has a huge bass roll off since all my bassy earphones sounded much better with it. Perhaps I've got a newer/ older model than you have though

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,184 of 3,631

Quote:
I am wondering if those sold on ebay good or not. I know mouser sells those kind of products but their shipping rate are too expensive

I bought off ebay, delivery was fast but volume knob appears little bit hooked. And sometimes strange background noises appear. I`m going to write to seller. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back