Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #766 of 3,631
  I have had bad luck with PNY myself but plenty here have had good luck. I do use either Samsung or Micro Center microSD, most often Micro Center brand, which definitely is something else cheap rebranded.

These are the same microSD cards that I use in all my DAPs though.  Well see if the other brands make a difference over time with the Walnut.  I have all types of microSD cards to try. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #767 of 3,631

These are the same microSD cards that I use in all my DAPs though.  Well see if the other brands make a difference over time with the Walnut.  I have all types of microSD cards to try. 

It does sound like an issue with the player itself. It is possible it's something weird and temperamental like a weak solder joint. I remember someone in the Zishan thread had that problem and fixed it by redoing the solder on one part. Might be tricky to spot if this is the case. If you have trouble figuring it out, I know you have some good cameras 
wink.gif
 so take a nice high-res photo and slap it up here.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #768 of 3,631
if it is a card reader joint you might have to take bottom-of-pcb shots :)

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #769 of 3,631
  It does sound like an issue with the player itself. It is possible it's something weird and temperamental like a weak solder joint. I remember someone in the Zishan thread had that problem and fixed it by redoing the solder on one part. Might be tricky to spot if this is the case. If you have trouble figuring it out, I know you have some good cameras 
wink.gif
 so take a nice high-res photo and slap it up here.

I will keep you updated as things progress.

BTW, the microSD card I just threw in there had only MP3s, it is playing clean so far, with no pops or anything between tracks, even with the Tags still on there.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #771 of 3,631
It's here :-D I've fought through the layers of packing tape and it's now charging!

I thought I'd missed out on the microSD but it was already in the player. Packed separately are the charge cable, 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and microSD to USB converter gadget. Great package, insane considering the price.

The Walnut itself looks way nicer than I thought it would... just waiting for that light to change colour so I can give it a go, as the listening is what really counts. Hovering over it like a maniac. What's the saying, 'a watched Walnut never charges?'

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #772 of 3,631
It's here :-D I've fought through the layers of packing tape and it's now charging!

I thought I'd missed out on the microSD but it was already in the player. Packed separately are the charge cable, 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and microSD to USB converter gadget. Great package, insane considering the price.

The Walnut itself looks way nicer than I thought it would... just waiting for that light to change colour so I can give it a go, as the listening is what really counts. Hovering over it like a maniac. What's the saying, 'a watched Walnut never charges?'

Congratulations,still waiting for mine.The postman must forgot where i live :grin:

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #774 of 3,631
me too, mines already 6 days in the country!! Still not delivered and the postman's already been here today.
Enjoy the anticipation because based on my initial listening, I think you're going to like it :-D

So far I've tried briefly with the Monk+ buds and my Superlux HD681's (over ears), and tried it as an amp from my Hidizs AP60 (again with the Monks).

VERY initial impressions, please bear that in mind, it's only been charged up for an hour or so! Also I have absolutely no high-end stuff to compare with, and I've not listened to an album straight through yet, maximum a couple of tracks from each!! Lastly, I'm not that great on describing this kind of stuff. Right that's the small print :wink:

- Loving how it sounds with the Monks so far. Tried a bit of Delain (Moonbathers album), plus some of the last Blind Guardian album, and a spot of Eagles (Hell Freezes Over). Delain sounded wonderful. First track of the Blind Guardian album is quite a messy production and can be hard listening I've found, it can sound cluttered and unengaging through the wrong setup. It sounds best on earbuds to me. On the Walnut / Monk+ combo, it sounds as good as I've heard it. The Eagles album sounds nice as well (although thats such a good production I've never heard it sound otherwise).

- The Hidizs AP60 isn't reputed to be a powerful player in itself and has no line out, so I had to use the earphone socket. On minimum volume on the Walnut, I could only have the Hidizs on less than half volume before I felt I was safe to have the Monks in my ears, so line out would be scary anyway! This thing has some power. This makes me optimistic for when my TY HP650 and Zen2 arrive, as otherwise I have nothing to really drive these to potential.

- It drives the HD681's with ease and I don't want to say too much too soon, but it's the first time I've really liked how the 681's sound. With tracks from Kasabian, Magnum, Justin Timberlake and Manowar (ok my tastes vary!) it sounds totally addictive. Would be interested for someone else to try this combo to see what they think, as that would be a hell of a cheap budget setup for someone who prefers over-ears, as would the Walnut/Monk+ combo for earbud fans.

I can honestly say so far, that @vapman appears to have recommended a bit of a gem here.

Edit addition, about an hour later: PWEI if anyone remembers them from the late 80s / very early 90s (singer was Clint Mansell who now does film soundtrack stuff). Just listening to the Cure for Sanity album. This is another tricky production, can vary wildly depending on setup, and is sounding very nice indeed! I'm recalling the 90s with my Technics amp and Mission speakers. To me, that's a good thing :-D

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #775 of 3,631
Looks like mine is leaving Malaysia today. Heavy sigh.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #776 of 3,631
Hope you get yours soon groucho! And yes I agree the Walnut is spectactular with both VE Monks and pretty much any hard to drive headphones I try on it. I almost wish I had some HE-400 again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back