Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #753 of 3,631
Congratulations.
This seem to be a music player that will last many years to come.
Will be really good if we can change the volume knob with a high quality one like ALPS.
What headphones and cable is that?

It is the TY Hi-Z HP-650 [http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/earbuds/TY-Hi-Z-HP-650].  I have a review of it coming out, I hope this week.  

--

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #755 of 3,631
Dont forget about the digital volume control by holding back or next down. Combine that with the analog knob to get a nice precise level
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to play with that, thanks!  I have a lot to learn and I want to find some time to better understand how to use it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #756 of 3,631
yay, very excited for those ppl receiving their Walnut V2, cant wait for more comparison/impression, especially against Fiio X1, Xduoo X3/Fiio X3ii, Xduoo X10 and Zishan DSD!

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #757 of 3,631
Dont forget about the digital volume control by holding back or next down. Combine that with the analog knob to get a nice precise level
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to play with that, thanks!  I have a lot to learn and I want to find some time to better understand how to use it.

@vapman, I wish I could like your posts a thousand times. 

You've been such an amazing help to us Walnut owners.

I've been playing with digital volumes and it does help a bit with the balance. 

The only other issue I have been having is the 8GB card that came with the Walnut seems to freeze the device from time to time.  I am not noticing any issues with my own 64GB card though.  EDIT, my 64GB card is starting to do some weird skipping things as well now.  Hmm....

--

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #758 of 3,631
Hmmm... That is strange and it is unfortunate that yours is the first report of a freezing/skipping Walnut. Is your 64gb freshly formatted?If you have any other microSD to try out, I would give it a shot.... hope we can figure out why it's happening.

The walnut reads from the card in realtime so it could be an error in the WAV stream causing it to hang but it is suspicious that it happens with either card.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #759 of 3,631
  Hmmm... That is strange and it is unfortunate that yours is the first report of a freezing/skipping Walnut. Is your 64gb freshly formatted?If you have any other microSD to try out, I would give it a shot.... hope we can figure out why it's happening.

The walnut reads from the card in realtime so it could be an error in the WAV stream causing it to hang but it is suspicious that it happens with either card.

I will try out a few other microSD cards when I get a chance.  But a little problematic that both cards are having this issue.  It JUST happened again while I was typing this....  I was not even touching it at the time.  :frowning2:

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #760 of 3,631

I will try out a few other microSD cards when I get a chance.  But a little problematic that both cards are having this issue.  It JUST happened again while I was typing this....  I was not even touching it at the time.  :frowning2:

Perhaps you could open it up and verify nothing is loose/wiggly/any questionable solder joints?

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #761 of 3,631

Mine has done that a couple times as well. I am using cheapo uSD card in it...maybe that's the issue. I may buy a good Samsung if I feel inclined or just reuse the uSD it came with.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #762 of 3,631
  Mine has done that a couple times as well. I am using cheapo uSD card in it...maybe that's the issue. I may buy a good Samsung if I feel inclined or just reuse the uSD it came with.

I'm was using a decent 64GB FAT32 PNY microSD card with only clean WAV.  Now I am testing it out now with an ADATA 32GB card with only MP3s to see what happens.

--

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #763 of 3,631
  Perhaps you could open it up and verify nothing is loose/wiggly/any questionable solder joints?

I'll try and tear it open later tonight.  Though seems like a few of us might be having the same issue now...

--

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #764 of 3,631

I'll try and tear it open later tonight.  Though seems like a few of us might be having the same issue now...

--

I have had bad luck with PNY myself but plenty here have had good luck. I do use either Samsung or Micro Center microSD, most often Micro Center brand, which definitely is something else cheap rebranded.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #765 of 3,631
Making use of my free hotel time I was doing some freq measurements with my Walnut vs. C3/NX1. I use Foobar2k so I decided to do a little EQ-processing during the conversion process and I'm really enjoying the outcome! This thing has some dynamic range! Also, I confirmed Walnut reads time-stamp not Alpha-numeric.

Pre-EQed pink noise

​Post-EQed pink noise

​Applied EQ curve via Foobar2k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back