Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,651 of 3,631
I haven't burned my Walnut in yet, but I have to say or sounds really rough (not refined). I mean, that's OK for a dap that cost $30 shipped. I was expecting more from the posts here, though. I'll keep playing with it and see if it suits my tastes better as it burns in or if I swap out for different opamps.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,652 of 3,631
Yeah man i am aware of the holiday season its just that Rose Electronics store hasnt reply yet to my message to them in my order which was placed 4 days ago
I got V2 for 32$ including shipping fees i allready have C3 and i am currently waiting for Colorfly C200 to arrive from PENON AUDIO
I am just anxioust to try walnut with C3 thats all
Being a customer of Fiio products for too long and getting C3 just a few months back really been amazed by C3's esque and have been reading recently some pretty interesting stuff about C3 and V2 synergy...
Have you any experience in topping NX1 sound qualities?

topping nx1 is a very neutral and extended (tonally) amplifier, and it is enough clean. but it only reaches 2Vrms (low distortion, at 64Ω). http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/75#post_12994430
so it is very useful to boost low powerful DAPs (which deliver less than 1.5Vrms, like Sansas, Benjie S5, some AGPTek, etc. -0.5Vrms-) to feed hungry phones.

but it also can be used for other purposes.. for example, with the walnut V2. nx1 (2Vrms) doesn't boost the walnut (3.3Vrms at 64Ω, low distortion, in headphones out). but it does boost the line-out of the walnut (0.33Vrms), which have better response than its headphones out. you get less power than walnut's phones out, but also an output impedance of 0.1Ω (instead of walnut's 100Ω) and wider and flatter frequency response. so it can be better paired with low_impedance/high_sensitivity phones, which doesn't need more than 2Vrms power.
check the tonal differences in this graph; note the extra bass roll-off of gr07, due to the 47uF output caps, and the general highs roll-off of walnut's phones out. compare it to the walnut's line-out + nx1 frequency response, which is not altered by adding **** ues (lower impedance than gr07).

(anyway, i prefer to use a sansa or benjie with nx1 rather than using walnut this way..)

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,653 of 3,631
I haven't burned my Walnut in yet, but I have to say or sounds really rough (not refined). I mean, that's OK for a dap that cost $30 shipped. I was expecting more from the posts here, though. I'll keep playing with it and see if it suits my tastes better as it burns in or if I swap out for different opamps.

It can not be emphasized enough how big of a difference swapping opamps actually makes. The initial burn in is very important too IMO, but swapping opamps changes the tone so much you'll be shocked it's the same player.

Hit me up if you want a free OPA or AD opamp. I'll help you decide which is most to your tastes and send it for free.

As for burning it, i say plug it into some headphones and let it play until it dies a few times.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,655 of 3,631
  i have some opamps in transit. when they arrive, i'll measure the tonal response to compare it to stock opamp response.

Thanks, I also think the cheap power cap should be changed because that will have a large impact on the sound. I think replacing it with a nicer cap would improve measurements as well. 

I expect to see very differently results when different opamps are applied. It changes the sound so much.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #1,658 of 3,631
It can not be emphasized enough how big of a difference swapping opamps actually makes. The initial burn in is very important too IMO, but swapping opamps changes the tone so much you'll be shocked it's the same player.

Hit me up if you want a free OPA or AD opamp. I'll help you decide which is most to your tastes and send it for free.

As for burning it, i say plug it into some headphones and let it play until it dies a few times.

I've got several opamps laying around. I'll try some, but I'm honestly not expecting magic. Perhaps my expectations will be exceeded, though. I'll keep an open mind and move forward!

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,660 of 3,631
NX1 increases dynamic range of the C3 but that's all, no coloring that I can tell. This is very helpful for the C3 as the signature if great! I put my C3 with Walnut some but honestly haven't spent time with it. I have been using only my Walnut recently. From what I recall the Pot doesn't do much in "amp" mode which would make the NX1 preferable IMO.

Thats great to hear man i am so in love with C3's signature that any type of coloration wouldnt be welcomed here
So as far as i can understand you are satisfied with C3 & topping NX1 as a combo?

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,661 of 3,631
topping nx1 is a very neutral and extended (tonally) amplifier, and it is enough clean. but it only reaches 2Vrms (low distortion, at 64Ω). http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/75#post_12994430
so it is very useful to boost low powerful DAPs (which deliver less than 1.5Vrms, like Sansas, Benjie S5, some AGPTek, etc. -0.5Vrms-) to feed hungry phones.

but it also can be used for other purposes.. for example, with the walnut V2. nx1 (2Vrms) doesn't boost the walnut (3.3Vrms at 64Ω, low distortion, in headphones out). but it does boost the line-out of the walnut (0.33Vrms), which have better response than its headphones out. you get less power than walnut's phones out, but also an output impedance of 0.1Ω (instead of walnut's 100Ω) and wider and flatter frequency response. so it can be better paired with low_impedance/high_sensitivity phones, which doesn't need more than 2Vrms power.

check the tonal differences in this graph; note the extra bass roll-off of gr07, due to the 47uF output caps, and the general highs roll-off of walnut's phones out. compare it to the walnut's line-out + nx1 frequency response, which is not altered by adding **** ues (lower impedance than gr07).

(anyway, i prefer to use a sansa or benjie with nx1 rather than using walnut this way..)

Thanks for the insight info there though i m not familiar with tech info i can distinct the roll of in both areas and just wonder in my case using the C3 as a source which one would be a better choise as an amp paired with C3,
Topping NX1 or Walnut V2?
P.S.
I use sansa clip + as a dap on the go and i got recently Trinity PM4 strangely enough between Fiio X3ii,C3 and Sansa plus the last one pairs the better with PM4 cant see why though...

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #1,662 of 3,631
I have noticed there are a few amp pairings where the walnut does not sound as good as directly out of the device being amped. It seems a different headphone could make it sound better again, so maybe the synergy question is difficult with the Walnut. Last night with a certain pair of earbuds i was finding i preferred the unamped Xduoo x3 to being amped with the Walnut. But when i changed headphones it was the opposite...

C3 & Walnut as an amp?
Could those two pair well together?
(I am using mostly as a combo right now
C3 with Fidue A73 or Dunu 2000)

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,664 of 3,631
Sry to break the discussion but today i just tried for the first time using the Walnut as an amp and boy i must say it does its job really well! Though the KZ ZST still doesnt sound good with the Walnut.

All my earbuds sound better with the Walnut and each has a distinct sound signature which i cant differentiate when i use it straight off my desktop. Makes me wanna buy another unit and switch the opamp to make the ZST sound better
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,665 of 3,631
yep, i'll also change those 47uF caps with 470uF 16V 8x12mm ones (i guess it's the biggest size which fits). the extra bass roll-off (depending of impedance) will get minimized this way for sure.

Oooooh subbed! I am interested in all mods that will improve bass without affecting anything else on the walnut. And waiting for Vapman to find that holy grail opamp for ultimate sub bass haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back