Waking up your GF
Feb 24, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #31 of 92
Yes, but is she convincing herself that she's only taking a nap? If not then it's not going to work, you have to mentally prepare yourself. Also, the 90 minute cycle thing works pretty well. She needs to plan for 1, 2, 3, etc. so that she's not trying to get up during deep sleep. The first few hours of sleep consist mostly of deep sleep (very difficult to wake up from) which progressively shortens the more cycles you sleep. As they shorten the length of REM sleep increases... Anyway, not the point really... The point is that she's got to plan in 90 min cycles instead of hours like most people do. If she trys to wake up in say 2 hours, she'll likely be smack in the middle of her 2nd sleep cycle and in deep sleep. She needs to plan for 90 minutes, 3 hours, 4-1/2 hours, etc.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yes, but is she convincing herself that she's only taking a nap? If not then it's not going to work, you have to mentally prepare yourself. Also, the 90 minute cycle thing works pretty well. She needs to plan for 1, 2, 3, etc. so that she's not trying to get up during deep sleep. The first few hours of sleep consist mostly of deep sleep (very difficult to do) which progressively shortens the more cycles you sleep. As they shorten the length of REM sleep increases... Anyway, not the point really... The point is that she's got to plan in 90 min cycles instead of hours like most people do. If she trys to wake up in say 2 hours, she'll likely be smack in the middle of her 2nd sleep cycle and in deep sleep. She needs to plan for 90 minutes, 3 hours, 4-1/2 hours, etc.

Very interesting. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the heads up.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
I half agree with you and I half don't. I don't think it's entirely her fault--maybe she's just wired different biologically and can't sleep. Maybe if she stayed up reading head-fi I would think differently, but she stays up reading text books for 6 hours. During the day she conducts meetings, plans events, tutors kids with me, etc. She's a responsible person. Now if she's got some sort of chemical imbalance causing her to have trouble sleeping, it's really out of her control now isn't it? I don't know that's the case, but I can't just turn the cold shoulder without knowing.

The responsibility isn't completely on me. If you ask my friends they'll all tell you that I'm great at helping people achieve their goals. I ask what a person wants, then I do everything I can to help them get it. This isn't the same thing as vicariously assuming responsibility for a person, it's just helping them. But in this case, you may be right... because I love her, so her troubles are mine also.

Well, from what you say, it just sounds like she has too much on her plate. Overwork obviously causes stress and sleeplessness. Ask her to back off on some of the activities, so she has a more time for things like sleep and classes. Being overworked, in the short term, it is easy to miss a class here-and-there, but that quickly mushrooms into a lot of missed classes and bad grades. Sounds like a focus and overwork issue here.

Hopefully you see that this issue is a lot bigger than "How do I wake my girlfriend up?". You need to work on the root problem. Could you go to the school counseling center and get some info on time management? You sound like a smart and nice guy, and none of us really know your situation in depth, so I'm sure you will find a way to work it out with your G/F.

Best of luck,
George

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 92
My suggestion is for next semester, help her to avoid taking any morning class as possible. I work full-time at grave yard shift and part time business (flexible hours) during the day. I came home around 7.30-8.30am and I always (if possible) made my appointment for part-time business at least at noon. Why? Because I will have to sleep from 8.30-11.30. It's easier when you have a routine schedule for your body. IMO, since most of the time she was sleeping at 10.30, that's why it's difficult for her to get up during that time. Her body are conditioned to sleep at that time.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
What's she gonna do without a BF like you? missing all her classes this semester?

Haha true. But what would you have done without your well-off parents? Or without your... headphones! That's a little irrelevant to the point.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #37 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
My suggestion is for next semester, help her to avoid taking any morning class as possible. I work full-time at grave yard shift and part time business (flexible hours) during the day. I came home around 7.30-8.30am and I always (if possible) made my appointment for part-time business at least at noon. Why? Because I will have to sleep from 8.30-11.30. It's easier when you have a routine schedule for your body. IMO, since most of the time she was sleeping at 10.30, that's why it's difficult for her to get up during that time. Her body are conditioned to sleep at that time.

Great suggestion, I will talk to her about it. Same goes for you gtp. Thank you all!

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #38 of 92
"Waking up your GF"

Put a foot in the rear end and slide off of bed...... Babe, you were pretty good last night. What did you say your name was? Call me sometime.....By!
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #39 of 92
Put a harmless snake in the bed...like a typical garden snake.
evil_smiley.gif
(Maybe the one-eyed variety might work, but then you'll probably end up in bed again yourself).

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #40 of 92
If she's deprived of sleep this much, even if she got up, do you think she will stay awake in class? I think it's better to have her miss the classes in bed than in classrooms.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #42 of 92
Have you tried water?

It's a lot of fun. You'll laugh and laugh and laugh. She might dump you, but it could be worth it.

Maybe she needs to be motivated. Talk with her.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #45 of 92
i find that when I'm really tired, the only way I'll get out of bed willingly is if there is already a hot shower or bath waiting for me. I can ease outta sleep in the shower quite easily, because the attraction to staying in bed is the warmth. Also have you tried giving her really flavorful foods in the morning? Spicey, sour, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back