Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 228
I'm quite new in this topic, but I think the AKG has got 3 options for the new model:
- "K703" - the difference between the K701 and the new model will by really small, the worst option for all of us, I think
- "K801" - they'll do exactly the same what Sennheiser has done with HD600 and HD650 - release a new model from the slightly higher price range (IMHO, unfortunately, that's the most possible option, especially since that the AKG-guy in the mail wrote about the successor of K701, not K1000)
- "K2000" - the successor of K1000, as we all want them to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, you're new, so I'll go easy.

If you haven't read the threads, the K-701/2 is actively disliked by a lot of us. I think AKG made a New Coke/Edsel sized misstep by dumping the truly excellent K-1000 and "replacing" it with the K-701. For me, the K-701 was unlistenable and compares poorly to every high-end headphone AKG has made.

If anything, a new model should be an apology for the K-701/2 and a humble attempt to match the quality of the K-1000.

And, yes, I am still a fan of AKG. One bad product will not turn me away from a company. I would be pleased to buy a new AKG flagship if it sounds good.

While a lot of us do in fact seem to dislike the K702s (an opinion which I attribute more towards a predisposed tendency to bloated and artificial sound stages), they are equally well liked by a large number of members here, I'll think you'll find.

I am also surprised that you think the K701/2s are a "replacement" for the K1000. They obviously are not. Both headphones are worlds apart in both sonics and build quality. AKG surely envisioned a different customer base for the K700s.

More to the point, I don't think AKG needs to apologize for anything. They made a fantastic product, but comparing it to some of the best ear speakers ever made is setting yourself up for disappointment.

At this point, I think it is unlikely a K703-esque product will be released. Too much time has elapsed to allow minor changes with any semblance of those made to the K702s.

I find it equally unlikely that anything like the K1000s will be released, at least for some time.

My 2 cents

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 228
I want a turnaround nothing like k701. Something with just outstanding SQ and aspects that AKG had and did well. No basing off previous products. Something entirely new. I fear even the Beyer T1 will just be a suped up 880 or something. K1000 was VERY different from other cans so do something equally amazing. It would work!

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #19 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope it's not another in their long line of painted and renamed K401's...
biggrin.gif

Precisely... in my opinion the progression from K501 to K701 is not a hopeful one. The K501 has very good presence, liveliness, but is compressed dynamically. The K601 is much higher-resolution and dynamic, but loses presence. The K701 is just weird, very far from tonally neutral and highly fatiguing. Let's hope for something more like the K1000 than like the K701.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #20 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely... in my opinion the progression from K501 to K701 is not a hopeful one. The K501 has very good presence, liveliness, but is compressed dynamically. The K601 is much higher-resolution and dynamic, but loses presence. The K701 is just weird, very far from tonally neutral and highly fatiguing. Let's hope for something more like the K1000 than like the K701.

The only time that my K702 sound weird was with tubes, they are not a good combo with tubes. Compare any hps that you have to the K702 on a Phonitor amp and maybe you'll change your mind

But even on DNA Sonet the K702 sound way much balance and natural then the DT-880
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #22 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time that my K702 sound weird was with tubes, they are not a good combo with tubes. Compare any hps that you have to the K702 on a Phonitor amp and maybe you'll change your mind

But even on DNA Sonet the K702 sound way much balance and natural then the DT-880
wink.gif

I paired the K701 with a Phoenix which is a solid state amp and I pretty much agree with what Mike said.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #23 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with you there. Even if you don't think that the K400 is better than the 30 years of tweaks to this model that would follow, you have to admit it's kind of pathetic for 30 years...

I really hope they move back toward their amazing vocals- (I think some of AKG's phones do vocals better than any other headphone) but work on not sacrificing the rest of the spectrum, which they always seem to do, whether it's bass (ex k501) or treble (ex sextett) or something else

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 228
Quote:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting AKG and for your friendly words about our K 1000.
We plan to launch a successor of the K 701 in foreseeable time, possibly CES 2010.

Kind regards

Horst Werner
AKG hotline
hotline@akg.com

So it seems that '10 CES is no longer a possibility.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #26 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wish for a future AKG flagship headphone would be something quite close to the K1000.
Surprise, surprise...
wink.gif
k1000smile.gif

Pretty much keep all the pros from the K1000:
* Midrange
* Treble
* Sound stage
* Air
* Fully open design
* Speaker amplifier requirement
* 4-pin XLR termination

...but improve the:
* Bass extension

i would like to revise one item: No need speaker amplifier. the best is can be boost by portable amp.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #28 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whys that? there are still 2 more days of CES...

Because apparently Harman doesn't even have a booth there. I just looked it up after reading this, and whilst they are listed on the CES site, they don't have a booth number assigned like the majority of exhibitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back