Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Jan 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #166 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, yes.

No it doesn't. unless you think a max 24/48 (squeezebox) is the same quality as a max 24/96 (transporter). However, I do not think I have seen a direct comparison of the squeezbox and transporter using the same quality files.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #169 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good find, Stefaan! We finally get to see a real image of it.

$349 for anything Wadia is a freakin' steal. I can't wait.

Even better:

2183993340_d762696ddd.jpg

- High resolution: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/...62696ddd_b.jpg

- Picture taken by this user at Flickr.com: Flickr: highend_cc

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #171 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YouTube - CES 2008 Las Vegas full coverage part 3

@ 2:53 you can see the wadia iTransport at CES

According to the Wadia Rep in the video, the Video (S, Composit or component) are just a pass through from the ipod. There is no improved signals from the itransport. However, he didn't say much about how the itransport get the digital signal out from the Ipod. Didn't some body promise a review from CES? It is over now, where is the info?

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #172 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the Wadia Rep in the video, the Video (S, Composit or component) are just a pass through from the ipod. There is no improved signals from the itransport. However, he didn't say much about how the itransport get the digital signal out from the Ipod. Didn't some body promise a review from CES? It is over now, where is the info?

The current iPods *can* output raw digital audio and video data if you use the Apple "authentification chip" under license in your dock device.

I'm 99% sure the Apple's current iPod docks already have one of these chips inside, which means one of the HeadFi DIY'er should be able to hack into one and pull out spdif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #173 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The current iPods *can* output raw digital audio and video data if you use the Apple "authentification chip" under license in your dock device.

I'm 99% sure the Apple's current iPod docks already have one of these chips inside, which means one of the HeadFi DIY'er should be able to hack into one and pull out spdif
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless maybe that the auth chip generates some sort of CRC code that the chip on a system (OS) is able to recognize and verify. Which would explain why RockBox isn't out for the classic; due to code encryption.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #174 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And please tell me they aren't only making it available in white!! They need a black one too, as well as an aluminum finish.

x2
biggrin.gif

If this thing works out well, then my next DAP will definitely be an iPod. Right now, I'm clinging to my iRiver H140, and I use it regularly with my outboard DAC at home and at my office.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #175 of 428
headed to work so I cant do a lot of looking into this yet (and I'll forget later) but will the Wadia work w/ a modded Ipod be it Vinnie or DIY ?

sorry if this has been extensivley covered will look into it later
thx

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #176 of 428
I'm getting one of these and putting the stream through a Pace-Car reclocker just like I do AirPort Express. The clock on the iPod still has significant jitter and this docking station does not fix it. If they only had an external clock input.... The video iPod that I took apart had only a 12MHz clock. Does not help. Even with reclocking, it still only does 16/44.1. For those that want all of their music on a handheld device, this is really nice though.

A more interesting thing to do is get an iPod Touch and then control iTunes from it and drive USB out of a Mac at 24/96 to a USB DAC. The 24/96 files will have to reside on the MAC or it wil do the upsampling though. Heres how you do that:
Best method for iTunes

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #177 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

What makes you 99% sure? Sounds like Wadia paid a license fee to do this.

Steve N.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #178 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting one of these and putting the stream through a Pace-Car reclocker just like I do AirPort Express. The clock on the iPod still has significant jitter and this docking station does not fix it.
Steve N.
Empirical Audio

if that's true, wouldn't all computer based sources using an external dac suffer from the same fault.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #179 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That all depends on the DAC that's fed from it
wink.gif

Funny. If this thing can get digital from the iPod dock connector I guess anyone can. While I'd like to get this (and I probably will anyway), I wish they made it smaller, allowed for battery power, and didn't waste their time and space inside the device for video circuitry. Can audio manufacturers please stick to making audio products? I know there is a huge wad of cash out there in video but I wish they'd cater to the Home Theater types with a whole new line aimed at them and leave us audiophiles alone with traditional products. I don't need component out from an iPod.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #180 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headed to work so I cant do a lot of looking into this yet (and I'll forget later) but will the Wadia work w/ a modded Ipod be it Vinnie or DIY ?

sorry if this has been extensivley covered will look into it later
thx

I imagine it would. I don't think he modifies anything on the digital end. If he did, you wouldn't be able to load your iPod on your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back