Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Jan 17, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #196 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we know if the dock actually gets a bitstream out of the iPod, or does it access the internal filesystem directly?

Based on what I've read, my take is that they are getting bit perfect from the iPod -- without direct access to file system.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #198 of 428
The Krell unit only has analog output (no digital). It has both single-ended and balanced analog outs. It apparently is "the first product of its kind to utilize the fully differential output of the internal DAC for iPod-devices."

Is "differential output" the same as balanced? Does the iPod really have a balanced DAC internally?

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #199 of 428
Well, yesterday afternoon, I drove over to Wadia's HQ and picked up one of the few working iTransport pre-production units to borrow for a few days. (I believe Tone Audio is also getting one to play with for a bit, so I'll be watching Tone Audio for an iTransport review at some point in the near future.)

The first thing I did when I got to my main rig was to hook the iTransport's S/PDIF output up to an MSB Gold Link III / PowerBase DAC setup with a CablePro Tracer v.2 Digital Coaxial Cable. The MSB DAC is currently feeding a Ray Samuels Audio Raptor, which I use to drive my Sennheiser HD650 and Grado GS-1000.

From an iPod Classic 160GB (firmware v1.0.3), I played files encoded using 320 AAC, Apple Lossless and straight WAV, using the MSB to upsample to 24/132.3. The results (especially with Apple Lossless and WAV, but even with 320 AAC to a lesser degree) were awesome. Awesome. Bypassing the iPod's DAC completely (and using a good outboard DAC instead) completely changes what the iPod is, turning it into a nice transport and media server. In short, the iPod becomes main-rig-worthy as a transport, if you've got a good outboard DAC.

As for video: One of my out-of-state co-workers is staying at my house for a work visit, and we watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (purchased from iTunes), using the iTransport's component video outputs and analog audio pass-through outputs, hooked up to a 57" HDTV. Using the TV's so-so up-converter, we were able to get a pretty good picture.

I see the video output as bonus. As a Head-Fi'er, it's the audio quality that one can get with a good DAC, using the iTransport's bit-perfect S/PDIF output (thus bypassing the iPod's internal DAC completely), that excites me the most.

I'll say more about the iTransport later. This is, in my opinion, a very important piece of gear.

b.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #200 of 428
Thanks for the comments, jude. I think that given the price point and the opportunities that it opens up the iTransport (bad name aside
smily_headphones1.gif
) could be a very important portal for the ipod crowd to the world of high-end audio. Looking forward to more detailed impressions.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #201 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments, jude. I think that given the price point and the opportunities that it opens up the iTransport (bad name aside
smily_headphones1.gif
) could be a very important portal for the ipod crowd to the world of high-end audio. Looking forward to more detailed impressions.

x2

Jude, have you by any chance used the MSB iLink?

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #202 of 428
I think this has been mentioned in other threads, but there is now at least one other dock that offers digital audio output (this time optical SPDIF) from the current gen iPods, the DLO HomeDock HD (coming in Spring).

The exciting news is that it will be $250 ($100 less than Wadia). Assuming an outboard DA converter with good reclocking/jitter rejection, this might be a good alternative to the Wadia, for less money.
DLO HomeDock HD w digital audio output

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #203 of 428
The DLO HomeDock HD's main attraction is its ability to upsample video to 720p or 1080i. However, the Wadia is a Wadia afterall
tongue.gif
I'm a sucker for brand names
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #204 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this has been mentioned in other threads, but there is now at least one other dock that offers digital audio output (this time optical SPDIF) from the current gen iPods, the DLO HomeDock HD (coming in Spring).

The exciting news is that it will be $250 ($100 less than Wadia). Assuming an outboard DA converter with good reclocking/jitter rejection, this might be a good alternative to the Wadia, for less money.
DLO HomeDock HD w digital audio output

it's an interesting device, for sure. i just worry what an upconverted 320x2XX source video will look like on a 720 or 1080 tv
eek.gif

i do, however, like the optical signal output, which plays nicer with most of my equipment...i'm just excited that more and more of these devices will be coming out in the near future...

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #205 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's an interesting device, for sure. i just worry what an upconverted 320x2XX source video will look like on a 720 or 1080 tv
eek.gif

i do, however, like the optical signal output, which plays nicer with most of my equipment...i'm just excited that more and more of these devices will be coming out in the near future...

iTunes music store movies and TV shows are 640x480, not 320x240. The iPod "down"-converts the material for it's own screen, but the native 640x480 is still there.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #207 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Video of Wadia iTransport at CES 08.
YouTube - AudiogoN @ CES: Wadia highend iPod transport digital output

I watched the video and have been following this thread since the Wadia iTransport unit was announced. I am very interested in getting one. I just purchased a new Rotel surround-sound receiver and the Wadia iTransport sounds like what I need to properly integrate my iPod. (...I think) I'm confused as to what I need in addition to the Wadia to get the best sound out of the iPod. Would I have to purchase an outboard DAC, or would the iTransport work by simply just hooking it up to my Rotel unit? I love good sound, however I am technically challenged with specs and with understanding much of what I've read in this thread...help! TIA
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #208 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I watched the video and have been following this thread since the Wadia iTransport unit was announced. I am very interested in getting one. I just purchased a new Rotel surround-sound receiver and the Wadia iTransport sounds like what I need to properly integrate my iPod. (...I think) I'm confused as to what I need in addition to the Wadia to get the best sound out of the iPod. Would I have to purchase an outboard DAC, or would the iTransport work by simply just hooking it up to my Rotel unit? I love good sound, however I am technically challenged with specs and with understanding much of what I've read in this thread...help! TIA
confused.gif

Your Rotel is more than likely equipped with a D/A convertor, whether or not it sounds good enough to you is sort of hard to predict not knowing the model number or any relevant information about it.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #209 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your Rotel is more than likely equipped with a D/A convertor, whether or not it sounds good enough to you is sort of hard to predict not knowing the model number or any relevant information about it.

The Rotel Receiver is an RSX-1058. If the iTransport could be connected to the Rotel unit what kind of cable would it connect with? PS. Could the iTransport be obsolete with the next generation iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back