Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #211 of 428
Quote:

If the iTransport could be connected to the Rotel unit what kind of cable would it connect with? PS. Could the iTransport be obsolete with the next generation iPod?

As I understand it, the iTransport offers SPDIF digital out over coax. The DLO HomeDock HD offers SPDIF digital out over optical Toslink. So pick whichever one matches the available inputs on your receiver.

Unlike previous video docks, I expect these will NOT be obsolete when future iPods are released, since Apple is taking the trouble to force mfrs to sign up for the "authorization chip." Of course, Jobs is a fickle god, so nothing is certain...

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #212 of 428
Quote:

If the iTransport could be connected to the Rotel unit what kind of cable would it connect with? PS. Could the iTransport be obsolete with the next generation iPod?

iTransport is coax. DLO HomeDock HD is optical. Pick whichever matches the available input on your receiver.

Unlike previous docks, I expect these will not be obsolete with future iPod generations, since Apple has gone to the trouble of forcing mfrs to sign up for the "authentication chip". But Jobs is a fickle god...

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #213 of 428
If I remember correctly from Stereophile's preview of the Wadia dock, the different models of the iPod behaved differently when docked, and not all existing iPods are compatible. Either the iPhone or the iTouch actually popped up a message saying this dock was not 'designed for' that particular model, but then continued to function. Also given Apple's history with docks and interfaces, I wouldn't count on forwards compatibility forever, although I have no doubt it will be usable with new models for a couple of years.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #214 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTransport is coax. DLO HomeDock HD is optical. Pick whichever matches the available input on your receiver.

Unlike previous docks, I expect these will not be obsolete with future iPod generations, since Apple has gone to the trouble of forcing mfrs to sign up for the "authentication chip". But Jobs is a fickle god...

Which is better? (...the iTransport or DLO HomeDock?)

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #215 of 428
[size=xx-large]*WARNING*[/size]

The iMod could break the iTransport or what you possibly connect to it. It uses the DAC in the iPod internally via lineout for analog output. This is VERY important to note, it could render the transport or amp that connects to it heavily damaged.

Read this article before buying if you have not! It lists compatibility and how it works. The iPod video will have its clickwheel incapacitated and only s-video out, no component. iPods MUST have the latest firmware and the iPod video is using extended interface mode which means no rockbox allowed.

Stereophile: Wadia Announces Launch of iPod Dock with S/PDIF Output

This is not a DAC, it only turns the iPod from a source into a transport. Squeeze box is much more viable in my case. I do know a way to make an adapter for the iMod to use the analog safely, however, it will no longer be sitting pretty as it would normally.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #217 of 428
Are they already taking orders? How/where did you get yours?

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #218 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they already taking orders? How/where did you get yours?

Email this dude:

jim@sounddecisionsinc.com

His name is Jim Clayton, and he was very helpful.

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #219 of 428
Thank you very much! I'll drop him a line.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #220 of 428
Dudes, why didn't Wadia give us I2S or USB output? Isn't S/PDIF the reason we don't see two-piece digital sources anymore? For $350 what quality should we expect of the clock?
Am I correct in assuming I can get superior result by docking the iPod into one USB port on a FIT PC running iTunes and output via another USB into DAC1? Plus I can use the FIT PC as a NAS too? And be future proof?
Am I missing anything?

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #221 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by fe3836 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dudes, why didn't Wadia give us I2S or USB output?

Is there a standalone player out there (i.e. non-PC) that provides USB output? Moreover as far as I know no DAC's USB input has been able to exceed S/PDIF's performance, in fact in most cases it's far worse, particularly in terms of jitter rejection, which seems to be your main concern.

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming I can get superior result by docking the iPod into one USB port on a FIT PC running iTunes and output via another USB into DAC1? Plus I can use the FIT PC as a NAS too? And be future proof?
Am I missing anything?

Well, it sorta kills the convenience of it all, don't you think? In my case, I could have an iTransport feeding my Bel Canto DAC3. That would be just two power cables and one digital cable. In your case it would require four power cables, two USB cables, a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse ... really I think it's pretty obvious, no?

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #222 of 428
After reading 23 pages of this thread, I still don't know that this thing is used for. Is it a way to get your wav. and lossless files from the ipod to your a/v reciever?
I'm getting a Onkyo TX-SR805 and will have a aperion 3.1 set up. So is this the best way to hook my ipod video up to the onkyo reciever for pure bit 4 bit playback?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #223 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading 23 pages of this thread, I still don't know that this thing is used for. Is it a way to get your wav. and lossless files from the ipod to your a/v reciever?
I'm getting a Onkyo TX-SR805 and will have a aperion 3.1 set up. So is this the best way to hook my ipod video up to the onkyo reciever for pure bit 4 bit playback?

Your receiver has two digital inputs which will take the output of the Wadia and allow you control over your audio train as you want to use it. This device allows your hard drive in you iPod to be your ultimate source for your files. Everything else in the iPod is bypassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back