Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Jan 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #151 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple has done it right this time.

The new aftermarket dock stations can output digital, if you have the current version of Nano, iPod classic, iTouch and iPhone, according to Apple.

Cheers. Ping

DLO announces iBoom JukeBox, HomeDock HD

Creative reveals Xdock HD upconverting iPod dock

The Wadia doesn't seem like such a good deal anymore, unless the above products don't actually output bit-perfect digital signals. It would be interesting to see how DLO and Creative acquire the digital signal if in fact they are extracting the raw data off the player.

Regardless, this is all extremely good news for audiophiles!

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #152 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by James /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Wadia doesn't seem like such a good deal anymore, unless the above products don't actually output bit-perfect digital signals. It would be interesting to see how DLO and Creative acquire the digital signal if in fact they are extracting the raw data off the player.

Competition is good!

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #153 of 428
The case alone is almost worth the purchase price. I don't even own an iPod, but this is likely my only chance of owning anything Wadia makes...
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #154 of 428
Quote:

Apple has done it right this time.

The new aftermarket dock stations can output digital, if you have the current version of Nano, iPod classic, iTouch and iPhone, according to Apple.

Cheers. Ping

DLO announces iBoom JukeBox, HomeDock HD

Creative reveals Xdock HD upconverting iPod dock

Quote:

Originally Posted by James /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, neither one actually mentions anything about bit-perfect audio output. Both seem more focused to video (the HD in both refers to video upconversion) although the Creative does pass DTS so maybe it does do bit-perfect. The MSRP for the Creative looks like it will be around $400, so IMO the Wadia still looks like a good deal if you already have an ipod.

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #155 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The case alone is almost worth the purchase price. I don't even own an iPod, but this is likely my only chance of owning anything Wadia makes...
biggrin.gif

agree. $350 to own a Wadia. Ping

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #156 of 428
Quote:

agree. $350 to own a Wadia. Ping

I'm susceptible to the Wadia allure too, but if for just $50 more I can also get HDMI output -- that seems like a pretty attractive package right there.

Waiting to see if Creative and/or DLO had to reverse-engineer the authentication process like Wadia did.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #157 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different people have different needs, and this product can cater to a specific market, you just aren't it. No need to be so condescending.

X2

Where's the happy vcoheda we've all come to know and love?

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #158 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is, why is Wadia (who we know makes some very expensive CD transports) only charging $349? I almost thought it was a typo! They claim "bit perfect" output from the iPod, and I just wonder why people would continue to spend the big $$$ on their transports if they can buy a 160GB iPod Classic for $349, fill it up with Lossless or WAV files, and then spend only another $349 to obtain a digital output to feed their dac. This is all assuming that their iTransport's digital output is very good quality of course, but I'm sure Wadia has that covered!

This would be a perfect companion to the traditional Wadia CDP or for anyone else who already has a quality DAC with digital inputs.

It also provides an attractive entry level-product to introduce a wider audience to Wadia, with the opportunity to upsell to Wadia DACs.

As far as the price, the case looks similar to the Shanling (sp?) units Meier Audio introduced about 2 years ago. The Meier product was engineered in Germany and made by Shanling in China. Again, this may or many not be the approach taken by Wadia.

As a long time Wadia fan, I'm very excited to see the introduction of this product.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #159 of 428
I would also suspect it's a marketing move, to introduce people to the line and give them something to move/sell.

The very high end audio biz is said to be DEAD numbers wise.

General consumer acceptance of the term digital representing the best, Bose as being incredible stuff and more recently Hi-Def covering most everything from 1024 X 768 to 1080p, has killed it. Even low bit rate downloads of Hi Def video materials are represented as top quality materials.

The marketing people have dumbed down the CE market.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #160 of 428
I am still super excited about this product. You mark my word, it WILL be the "most requested audio product of 2008" in Head-Fi (and probably on lots of other forums, too). It will allow me to move my entire headphone rig into my bedroom or living room and no longer have to use my noisy computer as a transport.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #161 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still super excited about this product. You mark my word, it WILL be the "most requested audio product of 2008" in Head-Fi (and probably on lots of other forums, too). It will allow me to move my entire headphone rig into my bedroom or living room and no longer have to use my noisy computer as a transport.

You could do that with a Squeezebox years ago.

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #162 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could do that with a Squeezebox years ago.

Sure ya could but without the cover art and the intuitive iPod interface.

Does the Squeezebox have the same quality digital output as the Transporter? I know the Transporter is said to have better quality, but I don't know if that's only referring to the DAC section or the digital output as well.

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #163 of 428
Quote:

Does the Squeezebox have the same quality digital output as the Transporter? I know the Transporter is said to have better quality, but I don't know if that's only referring to the DAC section or the digital output as well.

When I am just listening, I get cover art on my Nokia N800 and when I am listening and working I get cover art on my Asus tablet. If I'm not in the mood for cover art I can always use the supplied remote. In addition, SlimDevices/Logitech has just announced a dedicated color screen remote.

The squeezeboz DAC is nothing special, mid-grade at best. like the Wadia you need to run its digital output (coax or optical) into a good DAC. The transporter can stream up to 24/96, the squeezebox can only stream 24/48 max. So overall the transporter can do much better, and it sounds better. But it also costs 6+ times as much as a squeezebox.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #164 of 428
Quote:

Logitech just released a new squeezebox version at CES with a remote that has a display and cover art!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back