WA6SE or RSA Raptor
Apr 17, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #32 of 47
Owned no, but used them on multiple occasions yes. To know the answer to your question all you had to do was check my profile which is up to date. Now that I have answered your silly non-relevant question shut up and crawl back under the rock you came out of. Unless you have somthing meaningful to add that is. Darn, we seem to be surrounded by nincompoops.

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #33 of 47
As I recall from research of many posts, which date back several years:

WA6SE > Raptor (though the Raptor is highly regarded by most)
WA6SE = ZD (though ZD may be a hair better, not enough to justify the cost).

And... these may have been referring to the WA6SE(M).

Which is why I bought the WA6SE(M)

As far the expressions of opinion by "novices" - it would be more enlightening if they personalized their comments, and identified their experience - for example... "in my limited experience, I would guess amp A might be more to my taste, than amp B." This... in contrast to sweeping generalizations in absolute terms - based on limited experience and knowledge. Such sweeping generalizations, unfortunately, often can mislead other "novices," and are of no value, whatsoever (i.e. "aren't worth the screen they're printed on")... oh yes... "in my experience and in my humble opinion."

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6SE improves upon 6, and the pricing is justifiably so. If you are comparing raptor to 6SE, you might have a different thoughts.

With that said though, if you own HD800 and/or plan to, Ratpor + HD800 is match made in heaven. Sonnett is supposedly a very good match too.

That's nice to hear, since I have HD800s and have a Raptor on order (along with a QB-9 - supposedly I'm near the front of the line for the 192k model).

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owned no, but used them on multiple occasions yes. To know the answer to your question all you had to do was check my profile which is up to date. Now that I have answered your silly non-relevant question shut up and crawl back under the rock you came out of. Unless you have somthing meaningful to add that is. Darn, we seem to be surrounded by nincompoops.

Sorry to break it to you but I owned the WA6SE and the Raptor at the same time. The Raptor was troublesome and so was Ray. The Woo was a pleasure. Do you treat everyone this way? Seems to me your in the wrong thread since you never owned any of the amps in question.

Have a nice day Sir

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackBerry9000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to break it to you but I owned the WA6SE and the Raptor at the same time. The Raptor was troublesome and so was Ray. The Woo was a pleasure. Do you treat everyone this way? Seems to me your in the wrong thread since you never owned any of the amps in question.

Have a nice day Sir

No I only treat DA's in such a manner. As far as Ray he has been gentleman in all my transactions with him (owned at least 4 of his amps), my dealings with the Woo's has been limited to a few PM/Email's over the years and I would categorize them as neutral. Nonetheless I have listened to their amps on various occasions and with plenty of different headphones. BTW, welcome to my ignore list!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far the expressions of opinion by "novices" - it would be more enlightening if they personalized their comments, and identified their experience - for example... "in my limited experience, I would guess amp A might be more to my taste, than amp B." This... in contrast to sweeping generalizations in absolute terms - based on limited experience and knowledge. Such sweeping generalizations, unfortunately, often can mislead other "novices," and are of no value, whatsoever (i.e. "aren't worth the screen they're printed on")... oh yes... "in my experience and in my humble opinion."

Right on. Context is really important - we list our gear, not to show off but to give other people an idea of our experiences and preferences. Sweeping generalizations are a huge problem, especially if someone picks up, distorts and spreads them. Sure, at times head-fi is a lot like an oral tradition, or myth in the academic sense (as supposed to myth as falsehood), but evidence sorts out the good from the bad.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #40 of 47
I currently have a pair of HD800 with Little Dot mk4 SE (i know, not the greatest amp with HD800), and I often find the treble being too hot.
I've read that both the Raptor and WA6SE are great for HD800, but I'd like to know which one will tame the HD800's treble?
I listen to classical, jazz, vocals, and I'm looking for somewhat warm/forward mids.

Which one would suit me better? THanks!

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #41 of 47

Quote:
Quote:

The Raptor was troublesome and so was Ray.

I find that extremely surprising.  I have been dealing with Ray for over three years, and have found him an absolute delight to work with.

More to the point of the thread, I have not heard any Woo products, but I have owned the following: (1) Headroom Ultra Micro DAC and Amp; (2) Benchmark DAC-1 USB; and (3) my current setup, Ayre QB-9 and Raptor.  The current setup is head and shoulders better than the other two.  My only quibble with the Raptor is that with the wrong tubes, it can be kinda noisy.  I am currently running a RCA clear-top 12AU7 and Los Gatos (rebranded Tung-Sol?) 5687s, and it is dead quiet, but I have gotten noticeable amounts of noise with some highly coveted 12AU7s, including Mullards and black glass Tung-Sols.  But if you were fanatical about noise, you would be buying a solid state amp, wouldn't you?

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #42 of 47

Quote:
I currently have a pair of HD800 with Little Dot mk4 SE (i know, not the greatest amp with HD800), and I often find the treble being too hot.
I've read that both the Raptor and WA6SE are great for HD800, but I'd like to know which one will tame the HD800's treble?
I listen to classical, jazz, vocals, and I'm looking for somewhat warm/forward mids.

Which one would suit me better? THanks!

Which one would suit you better is a personal and subjective question that only you can answer, but I will tell you that I have no issues with overheated treble with the Raptor/HD800 combo.  Right now I am listening to Alina Ibragimova playing the Bach Partita No. 1 for solo violin, and there is no harshness at all, even in the highest registers.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #43 of 47
Unfortunately in Vancouver there's nowhere to try out these amps.. so I can only rely on people's impressions.
I find classical music fine, but with some rock songs, the cymbals are too bright, and with vocal tracks, there's pronounced sibilance. I guess i'm just looking for an overall warmer sound.
Quote:
Which one would suit you better is a personal and subjective question that only you can answer, but I will tell you that I have no issues with overheated treble with the Raptor/HD800 combo.  Right now I am listening to Alina Ibragimova playing the Bach Partita No. 1 for solo violin, and there is no harshness at all, even in the highest registers.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #44 of 47

Quote:

biggrin.gif
deadhorse.gif

Quote:
Don't do me any favors

Who would want to do you any favors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back