WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Apr 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #706 of 833
Oh my poor wallet.

I just traded e-mails with the guys at Woo with a question about the WE 274A rectifier. Mike sent me a gorgeous photo on one mounted on a WA33 (Head-Fi won't let me post photos or I'd share). It turns out that Jack has a small box of them (NOS) plus adapters. They are not cheap, but are a true Holy Grail.

Anyone have an impression of these?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #708 of 833
I know this thread isn't so active these days, but I had one of those life changing listening sessions last night with the LCD-4s/WA22 and I wanted to thank all you guys that gave me advice on my current nirvana tube combo of WE422A, Sylvania metal base chrome top 6SN7s, and TS5998s. I tried to think hard while listening if there's anything soundwise that I could possibly want more and I'm stumped. Together with the Hugo 2 and Alo Audio reference cable, what I heard last night was probably 8/10 as good as what I heard from my 4s and the WA33/EMM Labs DA2 dac at CanJam to my ears. That WA33 combo with the new Abyss Phi was the best I've ever heard from a headphone. For my tastes it beat the Sennheiser HE-1 by a decent margin. Anyway, I couldn't have this experience without you guys so again, thank you!

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #709 of 833
I know this thread isn't so active these days, but I had one of those life changing listening sessions last night with the LCD-4s/WA22 and I wanted to thank all you guys that gave me advice on my current nirvana tube combo of WE422A, Sylvania metal base chrome top 6SN7s, and TS5998s. I tried to think hard while listening if there's anything soundwise that I could possibly want more and I'm stumped. Together with the Hugo 2 and Alo Audio reference cable, what I heard last night was probably 8/10 as good as what I heard from my 4s and the WA33/EMM Labs DA2 dac at CanJam to my ears. That WA33 combo with the new Abyss Phi was the best I've ever heard from a headphone. For my tastes it beat the Sennheiser HE-1 by a decent margin. Anyway, I couldn't have this experience without you guys so again, thank you!

Nice post.

I haven't been the nicest critic to the WA22 in the past. Sometimes for good reason. My amp new buzzed, spitted and hummed like mad. Tube changes made it sound nicer signature wise but all the buzzing and humming frankly pissed me off.

In the past 3-4 months I don't know what happened??? It's like it has turned over a new leaf or something. It has been amazing. I don't know if it needed stacks of hours to burn in or if my tubes have settled. Hard to tell. If I was going to guess I would say it's the transformers that need tons of hours on them. They have been getting steadily quieter and that makes a huge difference.

Anyhow. A while back I was seriously concidering kickin the WA22 to the curb with disgust.
Now I see it as a important part of my system. I have new respect for it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #710 of 833

I have that setup, but with the USAF 596 tube instead. Definitely think it approaches the WA33, but not quite as powerful or holographic. Still really awesome, and better than almost any other tube setup I have ever heard.

The WA33 should be getting to me in a month or two and I can't wait to A/B it with the WA22 :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #711 of 833
Nice post.

I haven't been the nicest critic to the WA22 in the past. Sometimes for good reason. My amp new buzzed, spitted and hummed like mad. Tube changes made it sound nicer signature wise but all the buzzing and humming frankly pissed me off.

In the past 3-4 months I don't know what happened??? It's like it has turned over a new leaf or something. It has been amazing. I don't know if it needed stacks of hours to burn in or if my tubes have settled. Hard to tell. If I was going to guess I would say it's the transformers that need tons of hours on them. They have been getting steadily quieter and that makes a huge difference.

Anyhow. A while back I was seriously concidering kickin the WA22 to the curb with disgust.
Now I see it as a important part of my system. I have new respect for it.

I agree. I've had love/hate moments over this course of 15 months owning the WA22, but I feel like I believed in it and it's paying off in spades now. Oh hey finally had a listen to that V281 you have with AQ Nightowls. Long story short, I could count on one hand how many systems I didn't want to stop listening to at CanJam and that was one of them. So smooth, musical, and addictive. One of very few solid state amps I actually liked.

I have that setup, but with the USAF 596 tube instead. Definitely think it approaches the WA33, but not quite as powerful or holographic. Still really awesome, and better than almost any other tube setup I have ever heard.

The WA33 should be getting to me in a month or two and I can't wait to A/B it with the WA22 :)

I'm curious about that USAF 596 rectifier. I've read some reviews and impressions about it that are all positive, but I'm not sure it would fit my tastes the way the 422a does. What are your impressions of it?

And yeah you nailed it..that's exactly what I thought regarding our upgraded WA22s vs. WA33. More power and holographics with WA33 which was expected, but not by as much as I thought. Omg I'm so jealous you're getting a WA33. Did you order any other 2A3s with it? I'd go for it too, but I'm sidelining headphone system upgrades for a while to work on the living room rig.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #712 of 833
I'm curious about that USAF 596 rectifier. I've read some reviews and impressions about it that are all positive, but I'm not sure it would fit my tastes the way the 422a does. What are your impressions of it?

And yeah you nailed it..that's exactly what I thought regarding our upgraded WA22s vs. WA33. More power and holographics with WA33 which was expected, but not by as much as I thought. Omg I'm so jealous you're getting a WA33. Did you order any other 2A3s with it? I'd go for it too, but I'm sidelining headphone system upgrades for a while to work on the living room rig.

The USAF 596 is awesome. I don't have a WE422A, so I don't know how much better or worse it is than the 596. But compared to the Sophia Electric, PS Vane 422B replica, and Brimar 5Z4GY tubes, it has superior soundstage and bass definition. The most complete sounding of all of my rectifiers, if that makes sense. All of the others had some issues (Princess: thin low end but pretty, PS Vane: slightly weak bass and rolled off treble, Brimar: too slow and romantic overall), but the 596 is a winner. I use a custom made Glenn adapter to make it fit.

The WA33 is incredible. I had no intention of upgrading until I heard it at CanJam LA. I ordered the KR audio tubes as well--those were what was on the demo model. I haven't heard the Elite edition yet. Not sure I would want to pay that much extra money to improve something that already sounds glorious. I'm gonna use the WA33 as a preamp to feed a NuForce STA200 speaker amplifier and KEF LS50 speakers as well.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #713 of 833
Oops

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #714 of 833
The USAF 596 is awesome. I don't have a WE422A, so I don't know how much better or worse it is than the 596. But compared to the Sophia Electric, PS Vane 422B replica, and Brimar 5Z4GY tubes, it has superior soundstage and bass definition. The most complete sounding of all of my rectifiers, if that makes sense. All of the others had some issues (Princess: thin low end but pretty, PS Vane: slightly weak bass and rolled off treble, Brimar: too slow and romantic overall), but the 596 is a winner. I use a custom made Glenn adapter to make it fit.

The WA33 is incredible. I had no intention of upgrading until I heard it at CanJam LA. I ordered the KR audio tubes as well--those were what was on the demo model. I haven't heard the Elite edition yet. Not sure I would want to pay that much extra money to improve something that already sounds glorious. I'm gonna use the WA33 as a preamp to feed a NuForce STA200 speaker amplifier and KEF LS50 speakers as well.

Interesting. I think I'm gonna have to find a 596 then. I have all those rectifiers you mentioned and yup spot on with their weaknesses. 422a probably isn't quite as fast as 596, but it makes up for it in overwhelmingly beautiful tonality and holographics. I really thought I was nuts for spending that much on one tube but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Especially since WA33 will take it and eventually I'm gonna have to have that. But yeah once you get yours would you mind sharing what differences you hear with the KRs? I feel like I'd wanna keep the Sovtek 6C45 drivers in there instead of EH gold pins. Never liked those in my WA7tp..too flat sounding.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #715 of 833
Hi

Im looking to upgrade the stock tubes on my WA22 and need some recommendations.

I would like to have some more Warmth and Bass Impact, i got so much Clarity Already :)

The only one i changed so far is the Rectifier, and replaced it with Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B

Im now looking at some Power Tubes and Driver Tubes. Is this any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6AS7G-RC...d757d7a4c:g:MmQAAOSwDuJWuFFH&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Cod...373681?hash=item238cc1e8f1:g:DP8AAOSwR29ZCUxS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NOS-NIB-V...50486?hash=item4d599a0f56:g:o8MAAOSwlY1ZE~mr#

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #716 of 833
The RCA's are way over priced you can get a mullard 6080 for about 38. each and way better sounding than the 6as7's. As far as the RCA 6080 again the mullard from Langrex.com beats them in sq by a big way. 6as7ga's are very plain sounding, also take a look at the 6BL7's are very nice..enjoy

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #717 of 833
Hi

Im looking to upgrade the stock tubes on my WA22 and need some recommendations.

I would like to have some more Warmth and Bass Impact, i got so much Clarity Already :)

The only one i changed so far is the Rectifier, and replaced it with Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B

Im now looking at some Power Tubes and Driver Tubes. Is this any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6AS7G-RC...d757d7a4c:g:MmQAAOSwDuJWuFFH&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Cod...373681?hash=item238cc1e8f1:g:DP8AAOSwR29ZCUxS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NOS-NIB-V...50486?hash=item4d599a0f56:g:o8MAAOSwlY1ZE~mr#

Oh I got this. First of all what headphones are you using? Secondly, get the Tung Sol 5998 power tubes. They’re about $300, but way worth it. Higher gain and more bass impact with more warmth and rich sound than stock but still very detailed. Ditch that Sophia unless you wanna show off the looks of it to friends. Save up and get a Western Electric 422a rectifier. There’s some that get close, but if you like a similar sound signature as I do(warm, detailed, 3D, impactful)just get the 422a and be done with it. I use Sylvania chrome top 6SN7s and they’re fantastic as far as midrange tonality and texture, but they’re super expensive at around $450/pair. So yeah, there’s plenty of cheaper alternatives that get the job done, but honestly I’d rather just get the good stuff and be done with it. With my tubes and Hugo 2 as dac, I’ve only heard a few systems that sound better as far as my preferences. Good luck!

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #718 of 833
I'd agree the 5998's are excellent my favorites, also I didn't know the Sylvania chrome top 6SN7s are that high priced now wow I got 2 pair of them can't remember what I paid not 450. that's for sure, Tube prices are indeed going up..enjoy

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #719 of 833
Oh I got this. First of all what headphones are you using? Secondly, get the Tung Sol 5998 power tubes. They’re about $300, but way worth it. Higher gain and more bass impact with more warmth and rich sound than stock but still very detailed. Ditch that Sophia unless you wanna show off the looks of it to friends. Save up and get a Western Electric 422a rectifier. There’s some that get close, but if you like a similar sound signature as I do(warm, detailed, 3D, impactful)just get the 422a and be done with it. I use Sylvania chrome top 6SN7s and they’re fantastic as far as midrange tonality and texture, but they’re super expensive at around $450/pair. So yeah, there’s plenty of cheaper alternatives that get the job done, but honestly I’d rather just get the good stuff and be done with it. With my tubes and Hugo 2 as dac, I’ve only heard a few systems that sound better as far as my preferences. Good luck!

I'm using Sennheiser HD 800S

I just bought 2x SYLVANIA 6SN7GTB CHROME TOP from ebay and paid $44 + shipping hope they are good ^^ How come you paid $450/pair ? that's a high price are mine not the same Chrome Top? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-USA-SYLVANIA-6SN7GTB-CHROME-TOP-TUBES-The-same-batch/152683822699?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The price for a Western Electric 422a is just Insane! what would be a good price to pay for one?

What about the PSVANE, are they any good or just New Hyped Stuff? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Psvane-...899702?hash=item2eea26b076:g:nOwAAOSwKtlWi3DB

Same goes for http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Matche...313270?hash=item3612b87836:g:LhwAAOSw2gxYoI94

What about this Sopia? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sophia-Elec...886661?hash=item25e02dc805:g:6sEAAOSwEzxYeShi

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #720 of 833
Is there any Huge difference in tonal sound performance between 6080 vs 6AS7, the design is totally different looking and i tend to like big cool looking tubes, my vote goes to 6AS7^^

Woo Audio did go for 6080 so i am just curious why :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back