WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Mar 30, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #676 of 833
I have heard both but didn't get enough time to really figure out the differences. Also, there were other variations in regards to DAC, Power and Driver tubes.

In saying that I would say that the Tak 274b is a very very good tube. You won't go wrong with it. It would be a minuscule upgrade from a WE422a. Although the WE422a does require an adapter (PM Glenn2359).

With the LCD-X I prefer using WE422a but with my speakers and running the WA22 in preamp mode I prefer using the GZ34 metal base. Power tubes are 6BL7 and 6su7gty are drivers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #677 of 833
I have heard both but didn't get enough time to really figure out the differences. Also, there were other variations in regards to DAC, Power and Driver tubes.

In saying that I would say that the Tak 274b is a very very good tube. You won't go wrong with it. It would be a minuscule upgrade from a WE422a. Although the WE422a does require an adapter (PM Glenn2359).

With the LCD-X I prefer using WE422a but with my speakers and running the WA22 in preamp mode I prefer using the GZ34 metal base. Power tubes are 6BL7 and 6su7gty are drivers.

Ahhh ok roger that. Not gonna pay that much for a minuscule upgrade. DAC upgrade is happening next weekend. Mojo to Hugo 2. I can hardly even imagine better sound than Mojo through the WA22 with my NOS tubes. Going from a $500 dac to a $2200 one might actually make me go crosseyed whilst listening. As Samuel L. Jackson so eloquently put it in Jurassic Park, "Hold on to ya butts." :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #678 of 833
Is the Hugo 2 balanced? There's also the Kitsune Holo 3 Spring DAC which is getting a lot of attention lately.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #679 of 833
Is the Hugo 2 balanced? There's also the Kitsune Holo 3 Spring DAC which is getting a lot of attention lately.

Nope, it's SE. That Kitsune looks awesome but it's too big. I need Hugo 2 for its small footprint to fit on my nightstand where the WA22 and LCD-4s live as well. Balanced isn't in the cards this round of upgrades unfortunately, but I doubt Hugo 2 is gonna suck from lacking that feature.

I'm a little bummed though cuz my 4s came with a dual 3 pin Alo Audio reference cable I've been dying to test out. I'll probably bring it to CanJam next weekend and plug it into somebody's balanced rig.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #680 of 833
I'm a head-fi and WA22 newbie.  I read this post on the Head-Fi "The Reference 6SN7 Thread" re the RCA gray glass 6SN7GT.  This thread is from 2005-6.

RCA produced a grey glass 6SN7GT with side micas straight through from 1942 until at least 1956, and there is a great deal of sonic variation among tubes within that period. None are bad. But the early one sound far better. This is one of my favorite 6SN7's, but let's face it - it is very warm and lush, has a huge soundstage and huge bloom - not for Cary owners (for example) whose amps are already tubby sounding. In a good, neutral tube amp - which is what a good tube amp is, actually - this tube is a king. But be VERY careful about the vintage. Early ones have the magic. Later ones are good but no moondust.”

So I had to go find some.  In the mail to me are a pair of 1943 tubes.  Can't wait. I'll post my impressions.

This will be my first "tube roll." 

Anyone have experience with these?    

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #681 of 833
I'm a head-fi and WA22 newbie.  I read this post on the Head-Fi "The Reference 6SN7 Thread" re the RCA gray glass 6SN7GT.  This thread is from 2005-6.

RCA produced a grey glass 6SN7GT with side micas straight through from 1942 until at least 1956, and there is a great deal of sonic variation among tubes within that period. None are bad. But the early one sound far better. This is one of my favorite 6SN7's, but let's face it - it is very warm and lush, has a huge soundstage and huge bloom - not for Cary owners (for example) whose amps are already tubby sounding. In a good, neutral tube amp - which is what a good tube amp is, actually - this tube is a king. But be VERY careful about the vintage. Early ones have the magic. Later ones are good but no moondust.”

So I had to go find some.  In the mail to me are a pair of 1943 tubes.  Can't wait. I'll post my impressions.

Haven't heard em but you've piqued my interest with the characteristics you say they have. I'm beyond happy with my Sylvania metal base 6SN7's, but tube rolling is so fun and interesting. So yeah let us know asap how they perform :)

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #682 of 833

Awesome & congrats on your new headamp, I've had the rca gray glass 6sn7gt's very nice sounding when you can be sure to give a try to say some mullards ecc31's32,33,35's just the finest sounding driver tubes $ can buy..enjoy 

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #683 of 833
I have the ECC31 and using adapters to use in the WA22.  But the right tube flashes from time to time and pops.  Bad tube perhaps?

I am in love at the moment with the GZ34 metal base, TS 6SU7GTY black glass and 6BL7.  Absolutely beautiful sounding.  Detailed yet very Euphonic.  This is a better pairing than the WE422, TS 6SU7GTY and 5998, IMO.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #684 of 833
i think it would be interesting to see what tubes with adapters have you guys been using in your WA22 .as  power tubes,  rectifier  or drivers ?

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #685 of 833
i think it would be interesting to see what tubes with adapters have you guys been using in your WA22 .as  power tubes,  rectifier  or drivers ?

You probably wanna talk to @badas about that.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #686 of 833
You probably wanna talk to @badas about that.

I've only tried 6SN7 to 6F8G driver adapters and twin 6BL7's in the power.

I haven't tried and rectifier or exotic driver adapters.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #687 of 833

1943 RCA Gray Glass tubes arrived.  Swapped out the Sylvania 6SN7GT drivers that were the Woo upgrade.  The 2005 quote above is spot on.  The soundstage was awesome.  The bass through my Senn. 800S has never sounded more present and correct.  The treble gets compressed a bit and the not so precise but it's all good. 

I like horn bands like Tower of Power and modern music with orchestral instrument accompaniment and these tubes delivered the "tube" sound I was looking for out of he Woo.  Now I get the  tube rolling" thing.  I was as relaxed as if I was lying on a velvet couch in a New Orleans bawdy house. 

The Sylvania is a better tube in terms of detail, but these are gonna make me smile for years with their warmth and soundstage.

-Bill

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #688 of 833
Just heard the Tung Sol 5998 POWER tubes at the Woo Audio room at Can Jam SoCal. That may have been the best driver tube I have ever heard. I ordered a pair from Jack Wu on the spot. This should hold me over until I get a WA33 :)

Edit: I meant POWER tubes, not driver tubes.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #689 of 833
I do agree these are one of my favorites..

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #690 of 833
Just heard the Tung Sol 5998 driver tubes at the Woo Audio room at Can Jam SoCal. That may have been the best driver tube I have ever heard. I ordered a pair from Jack Wu on the spot. This should hold me over until I get a WA33 :)

Yeah those are legit. How bout that WA33 though?! I mean, it had holy grail tubes installed and an insane dac hooked up to it along with many other pricey upgrades, but honestly..to my ears..I think it sounded better than the Sennheiser HE-1 system. Granted at the end of the day both systems were within +\- $4k of eachother but IMO the Woo x Abyss phi combo wins hands down. Incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back