WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #661 of 833
 Is that a 53ku  sorry eyes no good any more, if so must be very sweet never heard that rectifier cool..

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #662 of 833
Yes it is.They are not super expensive and they do show up every now and then.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #663 of 833
  Some more Solid State mucking around.

Tried one of these:

Sounded the same as the other Solid State rectifier which is really nice. However it had the same over heat issue where at 2 hours the whole amp gets very hot.

Then I got the Weber Copper Caps (ordered two).

This is the bomb. The best sound. Everything is better than the best tube rectifier I own (Takasuzuki 274B). Sweeter clearer treble which produced more detail. I heard things in my favorite tracks that I hadn't heard before. Alison Krauss's New Favorite. Her voice croaks on some high notes. Never heard that before. Noise level is extremely low. Just not there at all. I've always had one of my drive tubes (TS RP 6C8G) that on occasion got a little buzzy/hum sound. Not a bit of noise from it last night. I've noted some rectifiers work better with the other tubes in the amp. Solid State kept them all dead quiet. I would guess good clean voltage keeps the other tubes happy. Holographics and soundstage sounded as good as the TAK274B. Bass deeper and clearer. Speed was excellent. Not as quick as the other SS rectifiers but better than the TAK274B. I'm not too worried about speed. It sounded good enough and I don't listen to a lot of lightning fast music.
Music in general had more snap and sounded far more natural.

With the amp on for three hours the amp was warm. No heat issues. Normal tube rectifier makes the amp hotter.

I adore Weber's Copper Cap. May look odd however it sounds amazing.

Is there a reason you decided on the 5U4GB instead of the WS1?  Just looking on their site it looks like they recommend the WS1 for "hi-fi amps" and only recommend the 5U4GB for guitar amps. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #664 of 833
  Is there a reason you decided on the 5U4GB instead of the WS1?  Just looking on their site it looks like they recommend the WS1 for "hi-fi amps" and only recommend the 5U4GB for guitar amps. 

There is not much difference electronically between them. I went WU4G as it is closest to a 5U4GB which the WA22 circuit is designed for. WU4G has been said that it is closest to a tube sound as far as pacing/speed goes. WS1 will have a faster pace. More SS type of sound.
A slower more relaxed pace is more my taste.
If you contact Weber and ask they will also recommend WU4G. They designed it as a drop in replacement for 5U4GB.

Either will be a good choice.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #666 of 833
  We have a small supply of NOS (new old stock) Tung Sol 5998 on hand right now. Send an email to info@wooaudio.com if you're interested.

What price???

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #668 of 833

There is not much difference electronically between them. I went WU4G as it is closest to a 5U4GB which the WA22 circuit is designed for. WU4G has been said that it is closest to a tube sound as far as pacing/speed goes. WS1 will have a faster pace. More SS type of sound.
A slower more relaxed pace is more my taste.
If you contact Weber and ask they will also recommend WU4G. They designed it as a drop in replacement for 5U4GB.

Either will be a good choice.

Thanks Badas!
I ordered one, I'll post some impressions when I get my hands on it.  Currently using a Brimar 5Z4GY

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #671 of 833
I can echo badas's comments about the copper cap.  It is quite exquisite.  Definitely delivers music really effortlessly, with more detail than the Brimar I was using by far, and better instrument separation.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #672 of 833
I've not yet tried the Weber copper cap WU4G is this thing really worth giving a try? thanks..enjoy guys 

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #673 of 833
I've not yet tried the Weber copper cap WU4G is this thing really worth giving a try? thanks..enjoy guys 

Yeah it is.

Think 596 with more bass and better soundfield.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #675 of 833
Can anyone comment on WE422a vs. Tak 274b? What's the difference in SQ? Worth the upgrade? I really feel like I've maxed out my WA22. The sound from the WE422a/Sylvania metal base 6SN7/TS 5998/LCD-4 combo is straight up magic. I could live with this system indefinitely. But, greedy.:D Besides, when I step up to WA22-SE I can still use all my rectifiers and driver tubes. So yeah, what's that Tak 274b like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back