WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #31 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by yilmaz196 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can we buy these tubes? Is there a good website selling these tubes worlwide?

Just keep eyes on ebay. There is no better way to do it. Most the time I have good luck. Twice tubes arrived dead.

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #34 of 833
My HF-2s are definitely my second string headphones, but I quite enjoy them through the WA22, currently using EML 5U4G mesh, CV181-Z and Sylvania 7236. They're still too forward to be my favourite cans, but are quite a nice antidote to my usual HD800s if you know what I mean. What is it you're hearing (or not) with the RS-1/WA22 combo?

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #35 of 833
Compare with HD650, RS-1 got no soul. Sound dry not engaging, tone base not as solid as HD650. there is disconnection between mid range and bass. My DT880 sound better than that.

How do you like your CV181-Z? Is that Shuguang?

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like your CV181-Z? Is that Shuguang?

Yes, they are the Shuguang. They're fine, but I struggle to hear any difference over the stock Motorola 6SN7s. So far, I don't hear any reason to spend the (big) money on them.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #38 of 833
For me, the tube is suited for each individual's taste. I don't think there is THE tube for any particular setup. If it suits you, all the better. However, your setup may not be THE setup for others.

Just a thought.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #39 of 833
I have not find a person that do not like GEC 6AS7G compare with other 6AS7. No one would say GZ34 is very warm. Sometimes something is universal. You get my point.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #40 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the tube is suited for each individual's taste. I don't think there is THE tube for any particular setup. If it suits you, all the better. However, your setup may not be THE setup for others.

Just a thought.

^ Agreed.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 833
I know pedalhead's amp can do much better than his current tube set-up. I am just to help here.

OK, I quit. Do where ever you want people.

I feel really wast my time to write those reviews.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #42 of 833
Your reviews are helpful, and it's especially great when someone is trying to find the tube that meets his taste. My point is, while the great soundstage and impact is what you are after, it's not something that I or someone else is after.. You might like the detail and bass hit, but that's hardly what I like... You get the point?

It'd be great to read your reviews on more objective manner and what they are good at and lacks. Not whether it's the best suited for you or someone else. That's ours to make.

Just my $0.02.

Regards

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #43 of 833
Like I said Sometimes something is universal that everyone will love. Stock WA22 Vs. tubed-up WA22 just like Bose Vs. a nice pair of Tannoy. I take Tannoy anytime. Only using stock tubes with WA22, you really have no idea what you have missed, or you already missed everything.

I don't think when Jack and his father created WA22, to expect to sound this good. I did not expect this good for $2350 (preamp) or $1900 either. That is why I tried 12AU7 to find out what was their design goal, what they were trying to achieve, and tonal reference was. Larry tested the prototype which used 12AU7 with very good result. But after tube rolling, I can tell WA22 got new life. I am not a bass head by any mean. The "impact" thing is very hard to explain for a person use English as 3rd language. It makes you "feel" the music...... Someone help me here?

When I did my reviews, I did have everybody else tast in mind.

When you get your own WA22 on hands, and find out what's going on, then you will owe me an apology. Remember that.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #44 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On offence, I could tell form your tube set-up is far from ideal with WA22.

No offence taken mate, everyone's ears are different, but you're doing a lot of legwork so the rest of us don't have to, and that is appreciated. As I mentioned in the other thread, I have a few tubes coming based on your recommendations & looking foward to hearing the results.

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #45 of 833
What apologies do I have to make for sharing my thoughts? Like I said, I appreciate your doing this so rest of us have a head start. However, I still believe that every tube have their strength and weakness and while I agree that certain tubes excel than the other, the combo may not sound their best to one's ear than yours.

In any rate, I will have to try out different things when my WA22 arrives at my door. That's still 4+ weeks away for me unfortunately. It's great though that you have such a high praise for this amp. What tube amp have you tried before WA22?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back