WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Nov 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #16 of 833
Well, I was rolling only 6sn7 tubes.

Power : Sylvania 7236
Rectifier : Sophia Princess 274B
listen through cryoed OCC copper balanced cable + HD800

Here is my 6sn7 top list.
1.Tungsol 6sn7 RP
2.ECC32 Mullard
3.Sylvania 6sn7w metal base
4.Sylvania 6sn7w black base short bottle
5.5692 RCA redbase

I also try sylvania 6sn7gt (chrome top), tungsol micky-mouse ears, sylvania 6sn7gt badboy, kenrad vt231 (clear glass), tungsol 6sn7gtb, rca 6sn7gt (grey glass), sophia 6sn7 (made by TJ Full music).

Wanna try brimar 6sn7 , ECC33 mullard , shuguang treasure cv181-z but not now.

picture :
img0082z.jpg

img0109y.jpg

img0112vx.jpg

img0110r.jpg

img0111wn.jpg

img0108t.jpg

img0119h.jpg

img0130h.jpg

img0163ln.jpg

img0169o.jpg

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #17 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Raytheons sure seem like something I'd like to try once it comes time to start tube rolling.

My experience with the Raytheons is that they are very, very quiet. On a balanced rig, I felt it lowered the noise floor even more, making the listening experience better. Can't stand the russian and CN tubes. No life at all. But YMMV

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 833
To follow up on Rurika's post, my top 6SN7's are:

Raytheon VT-231
RCA 6SN7GT flat plates
Sylvania 6SN7GTB angled T-plates
Tungsol 6SN7GT T-plates
CBS 5692

You should try equivalents using adapters. These are electrically equivalent so should not affect the amp in any way:

7N7
6F8G
6CG7

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 833
shuguang treasure cv181 maybe wast of money. brimar 6sn7 are very very good amount of 6SN7.

Raytheon 6F8G and Amperex (US) 6CG7 are better than US made 6SN7's. Beside they are super cheap compare to 6SN7

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by rurika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was rolling only 6sn7 tubes.

Power : Sylvania 7236
Rectifier : Sophia Princess 274B
listen through cryoed OCC copper balanced cable + HD800

Here is my 6sn7 top list.
1.Tungsol 6sn7 RP
2.ECC32 Mullard
3.Sylvania 6sn7w metal base
4.Sylvania 6sn7w black base short bottle
5.5692 RCA redbase

I also try sylvania 6sn7gt (chrome top), tungsol micky-mouse ears, sylvania 6sn7gt badboy, kenrad vt231 (clear glass), tungsol 6sn7gtb, rca 6sn7gt (grey glass), sophia 6sn7 (made by TJ Full music).

Wanna try brimar 6sn7 , ECC33 mullard , shuguang treasure cv181-z but not now.

How do you compare between those 6SN7 you have?

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #22 of 833
Ordered WA22 today. I guess I will be re-read your review and start to get these tubes before it arrives. i got a long way, so I have a lot of lead time... Good or bad. :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 833
Quote:

How do you compare between those 6SN7 you have?

Well, actually I compared them with my use(listen) time.
(but not for the sylvania metal base cause their life are short so I don't want to let them die quickly)

I found that I like to use Tungsol RP more than other tubes.( I rolling tubes every 3-4 days or week / time) & I bought them a second pair for backup.
I like the sound of mullard. It's very musical to me.

Price of tubes is not my subject.
In my tubes list the mullard are expensive than other tubes , the badboy are little expensive than the RCA redbase, the sophia are expensive than badboy & RCA redbase & 6sn7w (short bottle).

So, my top list is my FAV tubes that I like to use.
That's it, nothing more than that.

For the tubes that not in my top list, they are good tubes but compare to my FAV tubes they aren't good enough IMO.

I can't explain about sound well cause English is not my main language.(even in my nature language I can't explain well)

well , I like to try 6F8G too.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #24 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered WA22 today. I guess I will be re-read your review and start to get these tubes before it arrives. i got a long way, so I have a lot of lead time... Good or bad. :frowning2:

Other people did homework for you, I guess it is good in your case. ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually I compared them with my use(listen) time.
(but not for the sylvania metal base cause their life are short so I don't want to let them die quickly)

I found that I like to use Tungsol RP more than other tubes.( I rolling tubes every 3-4 days or week / time) & I bought them a second pair for backup.
I like the sound of mullard. It's very musical to me.

Price of tubes is not my subject.
In my tubes list the mullard are expensive than other tubes , the badboy are little expensive than the RCA redbase, the sophia are expensive than badboy & RCA redbase & 6sn7w (short bottle).

So, my top list is my FAV tubes that I like to use.
That's it, nothing more than that.

For the tubes that not in my top list, they are good tubes but compare to my FAV tubes they aren't good enough IMO.

I can't explain about sound well cause English is not my main language.(even in my nature language I can't explain well)

well , I like to try 6F8G too.

what is FAV tubes?

Make sure ask Glenn for red wire otherwise you get green in defalt

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 833
Does WA22 output all headphone jacks? Meaning, if I have several headphone with different connector types, would it drive them all with sufficient power?

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 833
I would like to try the Sophia Electric 6SN7 in a Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE but it seems you all do not like them much. Currently I am using a pair of Raytheon 6SN7-GTB as the power tubes and they sound superb driven by a Tungsol 6BL7-GT.

I have a second pair of Raytheon 6SN7-GTB from the 50's. In your opinion should I sell them to get a pair of the Sophia Electric 6SN7?

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 833
Quote:

Does WA22 output all headphone jacks? Meaning, if I have several headphone with different connector types, would it drive them all with sufficient power?

It'll certainly drive the single-ended output along with the 2x3-pin balanced. I can't test the 4-pin balanced output as I don't have any of those. It's got bags of power, to the point where I actually unplug my balanced hd800s when listening to my HF-2s as they could easily get driven too loud.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 833
Quote:

All headphone outputs on WA22 will drive 2~3 headphones at same time. BUT they are not driven to their best performance, which means the sound will degrade.
Test:
WA22 on high with HD650, plug in RS-1, sound degraded.
WA22 on Low with RS-1, plug in HD650, sound degraded.
WA22 on high with HD650, plug the preamp thing, sound degraded
WA22 on Low with RS-1, plug the preamp thing, sound degraded.
In both case both headphones are still listenable. It took aways about 5%~8% of WA22's sound quality.
The preamp thing is a headphone similator that jack made to creat a feak headphone load. If you use WA22 as preamp, you must either leave a pair headphone on the amp or the "thing" at the SE 1/4" headpone output. Otherwise will over load the transformers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to try the Sophia Electric 6SN7 in a Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE but it seems you all do not like them much. Currently I am using a pair of Raytheon 6SN7-GTB as the power tubes and they sound superb driven by a Tungsol 6BL7-GT.

I have a second pair of Raytheon 6SN7-GTB from the 50's. In your opinion should I sell them to get a pair of the Sophia Electric 6SN7?

"6SN7 Specification is identical to GE 6SN7 and RCA 5692" on Sophia website.
Why not give it one shot for all, get CV1988, Brimar 6SN7GT, etc. The best 6SN7 type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back