W4S DAC-2 Versus PS Audio Digital Link III w/Cullen Stage 4 Mods
Apr 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mollymoo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Basically, would it be an upgrade from the PS Audio DL III (Stage IV) to the DAC2?  I do not use the USB and I only use it with my Squeezebox Touch for HD 24/96-192 tracks.

Also, I know the DL III upsamples but does the DAC2 do native with 24/96 and 24/192?

Thanks so much.

Molly

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Yes, Wyred4Sound says this is an upgrade due to new technology. And will do native 24/192 kHz Asynchronous USB Input. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the reply!

Does it do native without using USB?  Also, would it make more sense to just get the DAC1 if I am not going to use the USB and I already have a pre-amp.

Thanks again.

Molly

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:

Also, I know the DL III upsamples but does the DAC2 do native with 24/96 and 24/192?

Yes, and 88 and 176.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Does it do native without using USB?  Also, would it make more sense to just get the DAC1 if I am not going to use the USB and I already have a pre-amp.

Thanks again.

Molly

Yes, and save some $$$. I use Coax and/or Optical into my DAC-1. Which has an upgraded Digital board; Low ESR "Super Caps" found in the DAC-2. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Does it upsample 44/16 tracks ala the DLIII?

I believe it does, unless I misunderstand the following from the product page.

Automatic oversampling for precise output filtering

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Does it upsample 44/16 tracks ala the DLIII?

Quote:

I believe it does, unless I misunderstand the following from the product page.

Automatic oversampling for precise output filtering

The W4S DACs do not automatically "upsample" everything - 16/44.1 kHz will play as is unless your music player (software) is configured to upsample. DACs like the Cambridge DAC Magic will upsample everything. Also, I believe the DLIII downsampled everything first to 16/44.1 kHz before upsampling the tracks if your music player called for higher resolutions - not good.

The description "Automatic oversampling for precise output filtering" refers to the DAC's internal design and "Jitter" control. Hope this helps!

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the clarification SilentOne. When I had it, I was under the impression that it was not upsampling at all. But now that's gone and I had to check and I tripped over my buzzwords 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification SilentOne. When I had it, I was under the impression that it was not upsampling at all. But now that's gone and I had to check and I tripped over my buzzwords 
biggrin.gif

It's only my second DAC and we absolutely love it! Sure, there'll be another to come down the street... and me turn my head all the way around. But the current satisfaction is saving me money... I like money. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks so much for the informative replies. 

Very surprised to hear that the DLIII actually downsamples then upsamples!  Yikes. 

I just want something that will give me what my particular file is, nothing less.  I guess a W4S DAC-1 is in my future.

Thanks again!

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Thanks so much for the informative replies. 

Very surprised to hear that the DLIII actually downsamples then upsamples!  Yikes. 

I just want something that will give me what my particular file is, nothing less.  I guess a W4S DAC-1 is in my future.

Thanks again!

You're most welcome, mollymoo. Perhaps, you may already know that PS Audio, Cullen Circuits and Wyred4Sound all share the same family tree. Anyway, the DLIII is a fine piece of kit. It's just that at the time it hit the street, what customers could do or even wanted was a whole lot different. W4S gets that question a lot about the modded DACs versus today's generation DAC-1 &  DAC-2.  Wishing you all the best!
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks again.

Molly

Yes, and save some $$$. I use Coax and/or Optical into my DAC-1. Which has an upgraded Digital board; Low ESR "Super Caps" found in the DAC-2. 
wink_face.gif

Hi again,

I noticed you appear to have a modded Dac-1. Can I request these mods from Wyred as well? If so, how much do these mods cost?

Thanks again.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks again.

Molly

wink_face.gif

Hi again,

I noticed you appear to have a modded Dac-1. Can I request these mods from Wyred as well? If so, how much do these mods cost?

Thanks again.

Just a little late with this reply. 
rolleyes.gif
 Yes, the DAC is upgradeable. Can't remember the exact cost but perhaps $150. Ask Clint at Wyred4Sound, he's very helpful. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Funny, a little over a year ago when I was deciding to upgrade my PS DLIII to either the Cullen Modes or pick up the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, I called Wyred 4 Sound directly and talked to someone named "Rick". He mentioned that I should forget the DLIII with Cullen mods and go for the DAC-2. I then asked his last name (because I thought it might just be....) and it was as I thought....it was Rick Cullen from Cullen mods. 
eek.gif
 So even Rick Cullen says go for the DAC-2. BTW, he was a great guy to chat for a bit about audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back