VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #214 of 1,164
  Yeah there will only be 6000 VSD5.

In all honesty there will be plenty of them for a while.

But Vsonic CEO said it would be 2000, not 6000, or I'm crazy? 
confused.gif

Ops, I got crazy, sorry...

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #218 of 1,164
My VSD5s arrived yesterday from LMYE. I couldn't resist a quick first listen and initially wan't impressed - very bloated bass and a bit of sibilance. After 12 hours of burn-in things seems to improve a bit but still more bass than I would have liked but I will give them more time. 

I'm not sure yet if these would  be a good replacement for GR07 classic as initially they sound a bit more v-shaped. Maybe the Ostry KC06A would be nearer the mark - I'm still really impressed with these.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #220 of 1,164
  Hi to all. I read 15 pages and can't find a answer for my question. Can someone say if Vsonic VSD5 can be a good replased for GR07 Classic? 

For my tastes, the GR07 still has qualities that the VSD5 don't have. I still prefer the GR07 over the VSD5, and would perhaps not consider the VSD5 an absolute replacement.

The GR07 sounds more effortless, if that makes sense. It's more dynamically open throughout the register, and it has a slightly softer/more transparent lower range, making the VSD5 sound somewhat harder/tighter, but also a bit less dynamic and effortless in that area.

Treble detailing is similar I'd say, the VSD5 probably has a hair better perceived detailing at the very top, but the GR07 also puts more focus on lower treble than the highest area.

Overall, GR07 sounds "bigger", and more dynamically transparent and effortless, a bit softer and slightly more diffuse there aswell, but I prefer it to the VSD5.

Again, I'd use the guitar amplifier cabinet analogy. A smaller cabinet can sound really good, but the bigger cabinets with the larger drivers just have a deeper more authoritative tone, wider bass dynamics, and don't sound as tight or relatively somewhat compressed.

The one thing the VSD5 has over the GR07 is the perceived openness of the soundstage. The GR07 is more in your face, while VSD5 is slightly wider/deeper sounding, and the sound is presented slight further away from you. While listening to both of them, it is easier for me to imagine the VSD5 sound is originating from my desktop speakers. The GR07s aren't that open-sounding.

Best I can do comparison-wise right now. :) I'd say the GR07 is still a pretty safe bet for overall sound, in my opinion of course. Also I've used the GR07 for quite a while now so I am biased towards it just from long-term use.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #221 of 1,164

For my tastes, the GR07 still has qualities that the VSD5 don't have. I still prefer the GR07 over the VSD5, and would perhaps not consider the VSD5 an absolute replacement.

The GR07 sounds more effortless, if that makes sense. It's more dynamically open throughout the register, and it has a slightly softer/more transparent lower range, making the VSD5 sound somewhat harder/tighter, but also a bit less dynamic and effortless in that area.

Treble detailing is similar I'd say, the VSD5 probably has a hair better perceived detailing at the very top, but the GR07 also puts more focus on lower treble than the highest area.

Overall, GR07 sounds "bigger", and more dynamically transparent and effortless, a bit softer and slightly more diffuse there aswell, but I prefer it to the VSD5.

Again, I'd use the guitar amplifier cabinet analogy. A smaller cabinet can sound really good, but the bigger cabinets with the larger drivers just have a deeper more authoritative tone, wider bass dynamics, and don't sound as tight or relatively somewhat compressed.

The one thing the VSD5 has over the GR07 is the perceived openness of the soundstage. The GR07 is more in your face, while VSD5 is slightly wider/deeper sounding, and the sound is presented slight further away from you. While listening to both of them, it is easier for me to imagine the VSD5 sound is originating from my desktop speakers. The GR07s aren't that open-sounding.

Best I can do comparison-wise right now. :) I'd say the GR07 is still a pretty safe bet for overall sound, in my opinion of course. Also I've used the GR07 for quite a while now so I am biased towards it just from long-term use.

Could you please compare with SM E30 and VC1000?

Thanks! :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #222 of 1,164
  Could you please compare with SM E30 and VC1000?

Thanks! :)

They sound a bit like the VC1000 only with the more weighty punch of a dynamic driver behind it, lacking only some very slight sharpness in attack, and without the slightly nervous sound that seems to come from the TWFK driver and their weird-looking shaky impulse response. That's pretty high praise in my book.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #223 of 1,164

Thanks. :)

As for the SoundMagic E30, it's less detailed, not as clear and more weighted towards the lower half of the spectrum. It's more of a conventional Dynamic driver, warm, fairly bassy, pretty even FR but not close to the same detail and decay as the VSD5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back