VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jul 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,066 of 1,164
I've taken an interest into this earphone. Where can I buy the VSD5S, since it's slowly becoming released? Aliexpress? The seller "Bright Audio" has the VSD5S in stock but I doubt his authenticity.

Also, I assume that the VSD5 is mostly superior to the GR07 in regards to having an analytical signature. I own a Havi B3 Pro 1 and I want something more revealing, less organic and more analytical.

I got mine from penon via ebay. I've only had them 2 days but consider them superior to the Havis.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,067 of 1,164
For those who have got it, would like a comparison with current VSD5, sounds like they are an improvement over VSD5.
gs1000.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,068 of 1,164
Very nice, forgot that Penon is distributing too. What do you consider superior from that to the Havi? And if I may also ask, have you tried the GR07 too (or can anyone else give impressions of this against GR07? I've heard a few saying that the VSD5 is superior, more knife edged and less organic.)?

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,069 of 1,164
Very nice, forgot that Penon is distributing too. What do you consider superior from that to the Havi? And if I may also ask, have you tried the GR07 too (or can anyone else give impressions of this against GR07? I've heard a few saying that the VSD5 is superior, more knife edged and less organic.)?

Sorry dont have GR07.

I loved the havi's soundstage and detail, but think they sometime sound a bit too polite. The VSD5s' have the detail and soundstage but are a touch more aggressive, bit more attack and defo more sub bass. Seem to be almost perfect lol. Since buying my first vsonics about a year ago, really like their sq and the VSD5s are the most refined of the bunch.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,070 of 1,164
Fo t

Sorry dont have GR07.

I loved the havi's soundstage and detail, but think they sometime sound a bit too polite. The VSD5s' have the detail and soundstage but are a touch more aggressive, bit more attack and defo more sub bass. Seem to be almost perfect lol. Since buying my first vsonics about a year ago, really like their sq and the VSD5s are the most refined of the bunch.

Do they really match up with the b3 soundstage?

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,072 of 1,164
Hello, everyone. I have lurked for years, now, through more than one pair of earbuds, including the fantastic vocal earbuds, the Klipsch Custom 3s. I am making this post because I decided to pull the trigger on the VSD5S, despite there being no reviews, because I figured that these are an update to the VSD5 earbuds. 
Having listened to them for a couple of days now, in multiple locations, including sitting on my by, jogging for 40 minutes, in my car on the way to work, and sitting at my desk when I arrived, I have a decent understanding of the sound.
I do not have the original VSD5 earbuds to compare; however, I think you will be interested, and possibly disappointed, to know that the VSD5S IEMs sound. . . exactly as everyone here has been describing the VSD5! 

Starting at the low end, the sub bass is not pronounced, but when it does appear, it is smooth and vibrant. Moving upward, the sub-bass is powerful, quick, punchy and ever-present; it colors every track, making electric guitars buzz and bass guitars slam quickly and disappear equally quickly, creating a lively, detailed sound for us metal-heads.

Moving onto the vocals, it is an area that disappoints, somewhat. When only vocals are there, or maybe vocals and another instrument like a piano, the vocals are strong, clear and detailed, so that you can hear the singer taking a breath and any endearing imperfections in his voice. Since I listen to power metal, whether a male or female is singing, I get a good dose of highs and lows in the voice, and the treble of these buds makes vocals sparkle in a particular way. Not bad, but I think a more forward mid-range for the vocals and guitars is critical for a powerful, high-quality sound. This is the area in which I am most disappointed.

Finally, the treble which is, just as others have described the VSD5 earbuds, sparkling and prominent, yet somehow it is never sibilant or piercing, irrespective of how loud I crank the volume. This is a pleasant surprise, as although it is clearly treble-heavy, the treble is never overpowering, unwelcome or painful. This is treble done well, and I have no complaints. 

Having done an analysis of the sound spectrum, I'd like to give some brief thoughts on other sound qualities. 

Soundstage: I don't notice, nor have I ever noticed on any earbuds, a significant soundstage. It all generally sounds like it's in my head with a left, center and right. That being said. . . 

. . . Separation: is extremely good. I listen to metal, but not just metal, I listen to power metal, which in my opinion is the ultimate test for earbuds because at any one time, you might have bass guitar, a kick-bass, two electric guitars, a vocalist and a keyboard all playing simultaneously. If a set is truly high quality, it should be able to reproduce all of these instruments together and still have separation and clarity. To that end, I feel as though the mid-bass doesn't make things muddy, but oddly, it can be too loud at times, not distorting but simply covering the other instruments! It's not on every track and it's not horrible, but I distinctly recall being annoyed by the mid-bass doing this. Other than that, usually every single instrument is clearly distinguishable from every other instrument, and the details of each instrument is generally good, though I have not yet been amazed.  This could simply be an untrained ear, but I consider myself somewhat of a critical listener, regarding music. (Not regarding school! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ) 

I definitely understand the "airy" sound that people are describing, or I like to call it "effortlessness," like each instrument is being reproduced without any trouble. The instruments appear, hit, and disappear with strength and authority.

As has been mentioned, the cable "guides" for the ears seem ridiculous. Why are they not permanently attached like the Klipsch customs, or why do they not have some sort of seal so that the wire does not slide out? I'm strongly considering just gluing them onto the cable. They're not even that useful, in my opinion, they just look cool so of course I must put them on! 

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,073 of 1,164
Fo t
Do they really match up with the b3 soundstage?

I think so yes. Very airy and 3d. I have spiral dot tips on mine which probably help. I think These revised vsonics have a good soundstage anyway but they've really nailed I with these VSD5s imo

If they match up with the b3 i think I will order a pais of them...

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,074 of 1,164
  Hello, everyone. I have lurked for years, now, through more than one pair of earbuds, including the fantastic vocal earbuds, the Klipsch Custom 3s. I am making this post because I decided to pull the trigger on the VSD5S, despite there being no reviews, because I figured that these are an update to the VSD5 earbuds. 
Having listened to them for a couple of days now, in multiple locations, including sitting on my by, jogging for 40 minutes, in my car on the way to work, and sitting at my desk when I arrived, I have a decent understanding of the sound.
I do not have the original VSD5 earbuds to compare; however, I think you will be interested, and possibly disappointed, to know that the VSD5S IEMs sound. . . exactly as everyone here has been describing the VSD5! 

Starting at the low end, the sub bass is not pronounced, but when it does appear, it is smooth and vibrant. Moving upward, the sub-bass is powerful, quick, punchy and ever-present; it colors every track, making electric guitars buzz and bass guitars slam quickly and disappear equally quickly, creating a lively, detailed sound for us metal-heads.

Moving onto the vocals, it is an area that disappoints, somewhat. When only vocals are there, or maybe vocals and another instrument like a piano, the vocals are strong, clear and detailed, so that you can hear the singer taking a breath and any endearing imperfections in his voice. Since I listen to power metal, whether a male or female is singing, I get a good dose of highs and lows in the voice, and the treble of these buds makes vocals sparkle in a particular way. Not bad, but I think a more forward mid-range for the vocals and guitars is critical for a powerful, high-quality sound. This is the area in which I am most disappointed.

Finally, the treble which is, just as others have described the VSD5 earbuds, sparkling and prominent, yet somehow it is never sibilant or piercing, irrespective of how loud I crank the volume. This is a pleasant surprise, as although it is clearly treble-heavy, the treble is never overpowering, unwelcome or painful. This is treble done well, and I have no complaints. 

Having done an analysis of the sound spectrum, I'd like to give some brief thoughts on other sound qualities. 

Soundstage: I don't notice, nor have I ever noticed on any earbuds, a significant soundstage. It all generally sounds like it's in my head with a left, center and right. That being said. . . 

. . . Separation: is extremely good. I listen to metal, but not just metal, I listen to power metal, which in my opinion is the ultimate test for earbuds because at any one time, you might have bass guitar, a kick-bass, two electric guitars, a vocalist and a keyboard all playing simultaneously. If a set is truly high quality, it should be able to reproduce all of these instruments together and still have separation and clarity. To that end, I feel as though the mid-bass doesn't make things muddy, but oddly, it can be too loud at times, not distorting but simply covering the other instruments! It's not on every track and it's not horrible, but I distinctly recall being annoyed by the mid-bass doing this. Other than that, usually every single instrument is clearly distinguishable from every other instrument, and the details of each instrument is generally good, though I have not yet been amazed.  This could simply be an untrained ear, but I consider myself somewhat of a critical listener, regarding music. (Not regarding school! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ) 

I definitely understand the "airy" sound that people are describing, or I like to call it "effortlessness," like each instrument is being reproduced without any trouble. The instruments appear, hit, and disappear with strength and authority.

As has been mentioned, the cable "guides" for the ears seem ridiculous. Why are they not permanently attached like the Klipsch customs, or why do they not have some sort of seal so that the wire does not slide out? I'm strongly considering just gluing them onto the cable. They're not even that useful, in my opinion, they just look cool so of course I must put them on! 

Regarding the earguides, if you can find tape that will adhere to the earguide material, you could probably place 2-3 thin strips of tape around the beginning and end of the tube to avoid the cable jumping out. I like Vsonic not permanently attaching the earguides, since you could replace it with another one if desired. :)

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,075 of 1,164
Regarding the earguides, if you can find tape that will adhere to the earguide material, you could probably place 2-3 thin strips of tape around the beginning and end of the tube to avoid the cable jumping out. I like Vsonic not permanently attaching the earguides, since you could replace it with another one if desired. :)

I wear mine down . No earguides needed!

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,076 of 1,164
my first vsonics was the gr07 classic....i loved the detail, balance and yet good bass impact.
i remember thinking 'wow what a fab bang for buck iem!' when i first heard them
(but could a bit sizzly at times with the treble and all that detail).

would be great to see a critical comparative review of the $100-250 or so iems.
do any punch above their weight etc

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #1,077 of 1,164
So the right speaker went completely out in only three or four days, guys. I didn't bang them on anything, there is no visible damage anywhere, nor perceptible stress points. The speaker simply ceased to make any noise whatsoever.

Despite this disappointing occurrence, I'm still going to purchase another pair because, as others have said, there is something addictive about the sound signature. That crystalline treble, combined with the powerful mid-bass, that makes so much of the music smash like the combined acoustic quality of a gunshot shattering a plate-glass tablet. 

Here's hoping my next pair last forever.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,079 of 1,164
So the right speaker went completely out in only three or four days, guys. I didn't bang them on anything, there is no visible damage anywhere, nor perceptible stress points. The speaker simply ceased to make any noise whatsoever.

Despite this disappointing occurrence, I'm still going to purchase another pair because, as others have said, there is something addictive about the sound signature. That crystalline treble, combined with the powerful mid-bass, that makes so much of the music smash like the combined acoustic quality of a gunshot shattering a plate-glass tablet. 

Here's hoping my next pair last forever.

Where did you buy them? May be you can get a replacement, should be in warranty?

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,080 of 1,164
Where did you buy them? May be you can get a replacement, should be in warranty?

Amazon.com. I actually already sent them back and received a refund. (Although the refund has not shown on my card, yet.) I am just waiting for the money to appear in my account so I can repurchase.

Edit: Also, how much bass should these earbuds have? I listen to power metal and the double-bass pummel seems to be non-existent, but I have no idea why. A quality set of buds should be able to at least moderately reproduce the 41Hz of a typical double-bass note.  According to LendMeUrEars, these have a Frequency Response of 10Hz ~ 28000Hz. 

Ten hertz is well below the 41 (or possibly, at lowest, 31Hz) required. I don't want the bass to be blasting, I just want to hear it, blast it! When a bass-guitar plays, the bass is barely audible, but clear and separate; still, it feels like it should be louder than it is. 
Perhaps I'll try using the slightly larger buds, next time, maybe moisten them a bit and then try to get them all the way into my ear canal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back