VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #436 of 2,003
Quote:
Well, the bass can get a tad boomy at times but nothing like the mh1c. As far as sibilance it's less than the gr07 coz the VSD1's treble is smoother and is not hot in the lower treble as its big brother. And as I said before I like it more than the mh1c - the bass is less boomy and a touch more controlled, the mids are more neutral and the the highs are more pronounced as the mh1c's treble is a bit too smooth for my liking and sounds dull on some occasions.

So are you saying that the bass will get more controlled because I just received mine and the one thing that i've noticed is that the bass needs some tightening up. Does that fix overtime with burn in?

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #437 of 2,003
Quote:
So are you saying that the bass will get more controlled because I just received mine and the one thing that i've noticed is that the bass needs some tightening up. Does that fix overtime with burn in?

Well, slightly. You can also use different tips to tame the bass a bit. Of course a portable amp can also add some control to the bass region.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #438 of 2,003
Well, slightly. You can also use different tips to tame the bass a bit. Of course a portable amp can also add some control to the bass region.

What Kova4a said. All of those will help, but it's not going to be a drastic change, just incremental.

I digress. I found that an almost too deep insertion with tri-flange tips (after burn-in) had a crazy effect, but I don't recommend it. Was uncomfortable and dangerous IMO.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #440 of 2,003
Quote:
I'll get there eventually lol

Could resist buying some wooden Xears, plus LMUE still haven't replied to my email.

These are significantly more capable than anything I've heard from Xears (which is most of them).

Quote:
Well, the bass can get a tad boomy at times but nothing like the mh1c. As far as sibilance it's less than the gr07 coz the VSD1's treble is smoother and is not hot in the lower treble as its big brother. And as I said before I like it more than the mh1c - the bass is less boomy and a touch more controlled, the mids are more neutral and the the highs are more pronounced as the mh1c's treble is a bit too smooth for my liking and sounds dull on some occasions.

I don't find the MH1Cs bass at all boomy, though it is more enhanced / boosted than my preference, as well as a little loose. I agree with your signature comparison against the VSD1, as well VSD1s relative smoothness up top, compared to the GR07. 

My experience of all three phones (GR07, VSD1 and MH1C) is no doubt affected significantly by use of a descent amp, which tightens up the bottom end, so take my impressions with a pinch of salt. I do agree that the MH1C can sound overly smooth, or dull, if not fed adequate juice. 

Quote:
I was enjoying the stock tips, but now they're making my ear quite sore. Time to play around with some different ones. Which tips are you guys using?

I found no use for any of the stock tips, opting instead for Jays Silicon single flange - a tip which works perfectly for me on almost all mid-range dynamics. That's just me. I'd encourage others to use other popular favorites such as Sony Hybrids, Meelec double flange, UE single flange, reversed or modded Comply TS-400, Addiem etc. It might also be worth trimming or reversing the stock foams. 

The VSD1 have good soundstage proportions and excellent separation. I'm liking these much more than the GR06. I they appear to perform at at a similar level whilst having a more versatile / likable signature. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #441 of 2,003
Quote:

These are significantly more capable than anything I've heard from Xears (which is most of them).

I'll find out soon enough how capable those Wood Force Xears are. :wink:

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #442 of 2,003
Quote:

I don't find the MH1Cs bass at all boomy, though it is more enhanced / boosted than my preference, as well as a little loose. I agree with your signature comparison against the VSD1, as well VSD1s relative smoothness up top, compared to the GR07. 

My experience of all three phones (GR07, VSD1 and MH1C) is no doubt affected significantly by use of a descent amp, which tightens up the bottom end, so take my impressions with a pinch of salt. I do agree that the MH1C can sound overly smooth, or dull, if not fed adequate juice. 

Well, the mh1c's bass is pretty slow and when you add to that the fact that is quite boosted and for me it is pretty boomy at times. I don't mean that is too much out of control but didn't like its speed at all. And yeah, the mh1c was better for me with an amp. On the other hand, the gr07 is one of the iems that I find to benefit the least from amping. It didn't particularly need added control to the bass as it's pretty tight and fast. Actually, the gr07 has a pretty fast bass for a dynamic driver iem and the decay was pretty much spot-on.

As far as tips, I already mentioned my favorites - the mh1c's tips and also sony hybrids. The stock single-flange VSD1's tips are decent but they make the sound a bit congested for me.

And, yeah I like the VSD1 more than gr06 too. As I said before the gr04 flagship holds its ground but it has a quite different presentation

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #443 of 2,003
Quote:
Well, the mh1c's bass is pretty slow and when you add to that the fact that is quite boosted and for me it is pretty boomy at times. I don't mean that is too much out of control but didn't like its speed at all. And yeah, the mh1c was better for me with an amp. On the other hand, the gr07 is one of the iems that I find to benefit the least from amping. It didn't particularly need added control to the bass as it's pretty tight and fast. Actually, the gr07 has a pretty fast bass for a dynamic driver iem and the decay was pretty much spot-on.

As far as tips, I already mentioned my favorites - the mh1c's tips and also sony hybrids. The stock single-flange VSD1's tips are decent but they make the sound a bit congested for me.

And, yeah I like the VSD1 more than gr06 too. As I said before the gr04 flagship holds its ground but it has a quite different presentation

Agreed. The GR07s bass is hard to beat at it's pricepoint. The balance between speed and decay is nigh on perfect.

I've not heard the GR04, but if you think it's performance is comparable to the VSD1, I'm interested to hear it! In what way do their presentations differ? (apologies if you've already said) 

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #444 of 2,003
Quote:

Agreed. The GR07s bass is hard to beat at it's pricepoint. The balance between speed and decay is nigh on perfect.

I've not heard the GR04, but if you think it's performance is comparable to the VSD1, I'm interested to hear it! In what way do their presentations differ? (apologies if you've already said) 

Well, I did a brief comparison a while ago http://www.head-fi.org/t/663709/vsonic-vsd1-vsd1s-reviews-impression-thread/315#post_9512206 . I've also have some more comprisons between the gr04 flagship and the gr07, gr06 and gr02be on several other threads but I'm too lazy to look for them now. It never got to ride on the hype train which was a shame, especially after it was discounted for getting discontinued as it was around $100-110 at launch and was 50 bucks for months but now it will be really hard to find one.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #445 of 2,003
made a little cable to reverse the channels so i can wear them over the ear :D

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #447 of 2,003
Was using the Sony hybrids. Much more comfortable.

But now the are packed up and ready to sale.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #448 of 2,003
Quote:

Fwiw, my favorites with the VSD1 aare the GR07 blue hybrid (non-foam) tips. Bass, mids, treble... all perfect for me with those tips, and they are also very comfortable.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #449 of 2,003
Quote:

Fwiw, my favorites with the VSD1 aare the GR07 blue hybrid (non-foam) tips. Bass, mids, treble... all perfect for me with those tips, and they are also very comfortable.

Well, they are hybrid clones, so yeah, they are good and would be my choice if I didn't have the sony tips. Oh, and the blue ones are the ones that fit me best too. I have no idea why vsonic didn't include them in the package instead of these stupid foam tips.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #450 of 2,003
Quote:
Well, they are hybrid clones, so yeah, they are good and would be my choice if I didn't have the sony tips. Oh, and the blue ones are the ones that fit me best too. I have no idea why vsonic didn't include them in the package instead of these stupid foam tips.

Those stupid foam tips are dead to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back