VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,847 of 2,003
So the left channel went out on my VSD1, approximately 7 days after the warranty period. I shot vsonic an email hoping for some sympathy, but no reply came back. 

I'm enjoy playing around with electronics so I decided to try and fix the issue myself. I first checked the cable for any signs of breakage, there was only one area that seemed a bit kinked but I didn't seriously suspect it of being the point of failure. My guess was a weak solder joint. A pick tool I had made cracking the case open pretty simple.

Unfortunately, the solder joints looked fine... 

Note the beige-yellow glue on the driver. Also note the copper coil on the speaker "cone" section (not attached to the headphone cable). The copper coil on the cone looks to be wound with a single thin wire, and then connect to the driver somewhere under the yellow glue. This seems to be the most likely point of failure, as I noticed the driver separated from the cone with no effort on the left side, and was attached via glue and the aforementioned copper wire. Unfortunately, the glue and the incredibly thin wire made it impossible to fix. 

Lesson learned: if you have a channel go out on the VSD1 there is a good chance you won't be able to repair it. 

Very unfortunate, as these were awesome for the short time I had with them. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,849 of 2,003
Lesson learned: if you have a channel go out on the VSD1 there is a good chance you won't be able to repair it

Very unfortunate, as these were awesome for the short time I had with them. 

Did you try checking the continuity of 3.5mm jack to see if theres any short between the 3 poles(R,L & G)?

It could be the jack, so try wiggling the strain relief of the jack ,gently.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,850 of 2,003
Pistons 2.0s are really amazing for the price. I can't believe these are only $29.  After I've read the thread  I also mode mine. I removed the grill and the filters then put RE0 filters on it. Now I like what I'm hearing it even more 
etysmile.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,851 of 2,003
Sorry wrong thread.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,853 of 2,003
VSD1S first impressions out of the box
I'm having some trouble finding the best fit, I think that Medium olives work the best. Unfortunately double olives seem a bit large for me. Haven't tried yet foam tips since I never like the feeling of them.
0 burn-in
Sounds really muffled not as detailed as I expected guitars "struggle" to fit in the spectrum. Pretty good bass quantity for my tastes not at all boring or flat signature.
I think everything will go better after burn-in! Does anyone know what is the suggested time for burn them good?

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,855 of 2,003
They need at least 100 hours to sound great. For me Sony hybrids are working best for sound and fit.

Sent from my Nokia 820 using Tapatalk

Yeah I will try that, although I already feel that they sound better and I must say once more that they have plenty of bass for those who aren't bassheads, that was my main fear. If the bass becomes more punchy after the burn in then I'm just fine in that area. Do you recommend any particular music for faster results?

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,856 of 2,003
  VSD1S first impressions out of the box
I'm having some trouble finding the best fit, I think that Medium olives work the best. Unfortunately double olives seem a bit large for me. Haven't tried yet foam tips since I never like the feeling of them.
0 burn-in
Sounds really muffled not as detailed as I expected guitars "struggle" to fit in the spectrum. Pretty good bass quantity for my tastes not at all boring or flat signature.
I think everything will go better after burn-in! Does anyone know what is the suggested time for burn them good?

Did you try another source? Maybe your EQ is still on a preset?
The VSD1S are among the clearest and most detailed I've heard. Maybe you'll indeed need the burn in...

You could use this site to burn them in overnight: http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in

May 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,857 of 2,003

Did you try another source? Maybe your EQ is still on a preset?
The VSD1S are among the clearest and most detailed I've heard. Maybe you'll indeed need the burn in...

You could use this site to burn them in overnight: http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in

I think that now they sound much better even without burn-in. I should do it in the following days since in more complex songs they still sound kinda muffled. Thanks for the link!

May 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,859 of 2,003
After only two months of use the right channel of my VSD1S stopped working. I want to say that it plays at very low volume, as if something had stumbled. What do?

take off the tip and see if wax is blocking.  If not were you sweating the last time you used them.  If so give them some time to dry completely.  Other than that not sure what else would cause a volume drop.

The sweat thing happened all the time with my Westones.

May 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,860 of 2,003
If nothing helped out.....from what bixby suggested,warranty claim is the only solution. That depends our personal likings as it involves intl shipping charges to send the defective to seller/agent/distributer/mfr unless you bought them locally.
Btw,it happened all of a sudden one fine day or just progressively declined the volume on the channel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back