VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Mar 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,786 of 2,003
The bad news is that there is one less VSD1 LE functioning in the world right now. It appears that they finally succumbed to the abuse that results from me using them while sleeping every night. The right driver now fades in and out, gets crackly etc. So sad.

The good news is that I have a pair of VSD1's which are now filling the role. But now I'm nervous not having a backup VSD1* backup pair around. Might be time to snag a VSD1S!

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,787 of 2,003
  The bad news is that there is one less VSD1 LE functioning in the world right now. It appears that they finally succumbed to the abuse that results from me using them while sleeping every night. The right driver now fades in and out, gets crackly etc. So sad.

The good news is that I have a pair of VSD1's which are now filling the role. But now I'm nervous not having a backup VSD1* backup pair around. Might be time to snag a VSD1S!

I love my VSD1S 
ksc75smile.gif

But after ljokerl's review of the Fidue A63... they might just be my 50$ replacement(although they have a diff sig), should my VSD1S go belly up. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,788 of 2,003
  I love my VSD1S 
ksc75smile.gif

But after ljokerl's review of the Fidue A63... they might just be my 50$ replacement(although they have a diff sig), should my VSD1S go belly up. 

I'll read his review of them. I just saw pics of them, and what I need for sleeping are very flush iems like the vsd1's. I'm not sure that I could sleep while using the A63's, but they look interesting for sure!

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,789 of 2,003

I'll read his review of them. I just saw pics of them, and what I need for sleeping are very flush iems like the vsd1's. I'm not sure that I could sleep while using the A63's, but they look interesting for sure!

Ah...I apologize. I didn't think about how comfortable they would be for sleeping. Not very, I would presume, looking at the housing design. But a "mid forward:punchy bass:smooth treble" sig is very rare in that price range.
Quoting his comparison with the VSD1S:
VSonic VSD1S ($45)

Like so many of the best-performing budget sets, the VSD1S emphasizes both its bass and treble for a lively, v-shaped sound. It has more bass impact than the A63 and presents a warmer tonal character and more full-bodied sound. The A63 has less bass and more prominent mids, which at times give vocals greater intelligibility compared to the VSonics. The VSD1S is brighter and more sibilant compared to the A63, which has smoother, less prominent treble. Both earphones impress on the soundstage front and are as spacious and well-layered as anything I’ve heard in the price bracket.

The Vsonics seem so rugged, Im surprised they've died on you. That must require considerable rolling and tossing around 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,790 of 2,003
  Ah...I apologize. I didn't think about how comfortable they would be for sleeping. Not very, I would presume, looking at the housing design. But a "mid forward:punchy bass:smooth treble" sig is very rare in that price range.
Quoting his comparison with the VSD1S:

Yup, those A63's do sound great for the price!

The Vsonics seem so rugged, Im surprised they've died on you. That must require considerable rolling and tossing around 
rolleyes.gif

They doubled as ear plugs, so I'd wear them all night, and worn over ears so that they don't get accidentally tugged out. So yeah, they got abused and I'm surprised actually that they lasted this long. They are my preferred iems for biking with as well, so another reason I'm happy to still have the vsd1's.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,791 of 2,003
Thanks for the A/B comparison, since my preferences are definitely closer to Johnny Marr (funny thing to say since I've never been a Smiths fan) probably VSD1 is better choice over Pistons. I never listen to Electronic music so that genre doesn't interest me at all. Could you please give me an input on Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen for sibilance and bass? Certainly it is not a lo-fi or badly mastered song but I'm wondering on the multiple "S" and the 80s sound overall that usually causes problem to my IEMs.

I believe the VSD1S will be the best choice for this kind of music. 80s music has always excelled on the VSD1S. I will definitely A/B them when I find the time.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,792 of 2,003
I be live you would be happy with the VSD1s especially for female vocals. They don't have a whole lot less bass than the VSD1. I listen to a lot of older music as well, as I'm older. You can't go wrong for 45.00 dollars, I would be surprised if you can find anything close even at 100 dollars.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,793 of 2,003
  Here is some input.  This re-recording is sibilant as all get out.  And the cymbals are a small crashing mess.  
How could they mess this song up so bad is beyond me.  If you don't hear lots of bad high end and sibilance in this track at least on the you tube mp3 then think about replacing your cans.

I would agree with you, this Youtube upload is totally messed up. I know that this is a generally sibilant song (at least for my tastes) and the uploader really put it in an other dimension. I've just chose that as a reference and now that I heard it with my Delta's I understood how bad it is!

I believe the VSD1S will be the best choice for this kind of music. 80s music has always excelled on the VSD1S. I will definitely A/B them when I find the time.

Thank you Pastapipo I'm leaning towards the VSD1 to be honest since I don't want to loose soundstage and bass but I'm still hearing any suggestion from users that have them both!

There is no sibilance either on the pistons or vsd1s out of my desktop with integrated sound card. The pistones offer a more relaxed presentation with a lower extension on bass departement, Stevie's voice sounds good and clear, but if you want all the details of her voice in your face you want to go with the Vsonic's. Her voice is more forwarded and you can clearly hear and feel all inflections. There are points where it become a bit offensive, but this is how her voice is. So yeah, I stand to the fact that vsd1s has some harshness on upper mids/lower treble to my ears, or maybe is more true to the source. That is not a bad thing in general, maybe I'm a bit sensitive to that and I prefare a bit relaxed sound of the pistons. There are 2 different sound signatures for sure.

Thank you very much for that detailed comparison! I think that the VSD1S offer the kind of sound I'm looking for then. I don't really like relaxed presentation I prefer that "in your face" impact with a touch of soundstage when this is possible. It is exactly that offensive part of her voice that I'm missing with my other IEMs I need that clear harshness (I know it's oddly expressed) but I don't want to miss Stevie's light hoarseness of her voice. I don't mind when the VSD1, by being true to the source, becomes inevitably harsh, I just hate if it adds more sibilance to what already exists. I also hate when the IEM is trying to round up everything just not to "offend" me.

I be live you would be happy with the VSD1s especially for female vocals. They don't have a whole lot less bass than the VSD1. I listen to a lot of older music as well, as I'm older. You can't go wrong for 45.00 dollars, I would be surprised if you can find anything close even at 100 dollars.

Do you think that VSD1S have the same "fun" and soundstage as the VSD1? I don't mind for a tad more bass since I like Classic Rock and I love the drums impact.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,794 of 2,003

Quick question: how does LE compared to S? LE sounds better? I have the LE and wondering in what ways they both differ...

«TY»

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,795 of 2,003

Thank you Pastapipo I'm leaning towards the VSD1 to be honest since I don't want to loose soundstage and bass but I'm still hearing any suggestion from users that have them both!

I returned to the headphone store to compare the VSD1 with the VSD1S. I downloaded the song you provided (the youtube version was bad).

The VSD1 has got a more prominent treble, which is the reason the VSD1 may sound sibilant in comparison, but in reality they are not sibilant.
Having said that, the VSD1S sounded more appropriate for the song, having a better overall balance. The treble is toned down, and the midrange brings out the detail of the song (i.e. the intro).
Given the bass of the VSD1 is heavier, but the song doesn't emphasise on the baseline, which made its advantage neglectable.
Then I listened to Coyote Kisses - Six Shooter, which was more active and had a bigger impact with the VSD1. But it wasn't flat sounding on the VSD1S either, just more balanced.
Bohemian Like You sounded better on the VSD1S in my experience, the guitars have more body, the drums sound more detailed. I assume this is due to the more prominent midrange. Still the VSD1 offered a more "fun" sound.
These differences are small and both are excellent, its obvious these two are brothers, one is wearing an hoody, the other a pullover.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,800 of 2,003
obviously you're looking for opinions check my review in my signature

Nice review! It almost made me spontaneously buy the vsd1s lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back