VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Mar 10, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,771 of 2,003

You can find them firmly implanted in my ears every night while I'm sleeping. But I have weapons in my bedroom, so don't get any ideas 
wink.gif

lol
biggrin.gif
I gotta find my plate mail armor and consider this again.
  First, headphoniaks had them but sold them all out and then Bigbargainonline had them but only a very limited quantity - there's a reason it's called a Limited edition.
Actually the last time I saw a VSD1LE for sale was probably a month or so ago - a single unit sold on bid by bigbargainonline. 
As far as the bass it's a very small difference between VSD1 and VSD1S - I actually prefer the VSD1S for the gym because its bass is a bit harder hitting than VSD1's even though VSD1 has a slightly bigger mid-bass slam.

Ok mate, thanks a lot really you have been extremely helpful. If I can't find the LE version, it is not the end of the world either, I will use it in the gym only, for general listening I have SE5way. I will do my reading more about the differences in VSD1 and VSD1S then order one of them most probably. Again, thanks a lot, great help
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,772 of 2,003
I received today the VSD1S. Sound quality is definitely good, but I was not impressed as I expected. Basses are a bit too dry and prickly, mids all-too-present (giving a slight sense of flatness to the sound), and especially high hissing when someone utters an "S", the effect is quite annoying.

However, not perfect but excellent value for money. Waiting to try the Xiaomi Pistons 2.0.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,775 of 2,003
  I received today the VSD1S. Sound quality is definitely good, but I was not impressed as I expected. Basses are a bit too dry and prickly, mids all-too-present (giving a slight sense of flatness to the sound), and especially high hissing when someone utters an "S", the effect is quite annoying.

However, not perfect but excellent value for money. Waiting to try the Xiaomi Pistons 2.0.

You say it like its a bad thing ;p

I've got both, while the sound quality of the Pistons (2.0) are good, the tuning is far to V shaped for me. 
Excellent sub-bass, but too prominent. Mids are barely there, which gives me the idea I'm missing detail.
The Vsd1s ones sound technically superior to my ears, maybe because of the present mids.  

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,776 of 2,003
  You say it like its a bad thing ;p

I've got both, while the sound quality of the Pistons (2.0) are good, the tuning is far to V shaped for me. 
Excellent sub-bass, but too prominent. Mids are barely there, which gives me the idea I'm missing detail.
The Vsd1s ones sound technically superior to my ears, maybe because of the present mids.  

Since I'm also among some IEMs and VSD1 has always been on my watch list, I'm afraid of the sibilance that some of the owners are complaining for. Do you feel that the warm Pistons are better in that area compared to Vsonic?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,778 of 2,003
Since I'm also among some IEMs and VSD1 has always been on my watch list, I'm afraid of the sibilance that some of the owners are complaining for. Do you feel that the warm Pistons are better in that area compared to Vsonic?

The vs1ds do not have any added edge or sibilance. Never heard the vs1d, but the former are not offensive at all in the female vocal range. I would look more at the source if you experience sibilance with the vs1ds.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,779 of 2,003

I haven't spend that much time with the VSD1 but I don't think they are sibilant, the highs are prominent, but nothing I didn't love. The VSD1S are not sibilant at all, they're smooth at the top. 
The Pistons are more "true to source" on the highs. Where cymbals/high-hats sound smooth and round on the VSD1S, the Pistons sound like they would do live. 
I've got to say the highs are excellent on the Piston, but where the VSD1 (not the VS1S) provide a lively V sound, the Pistons are more U shaped.
It all depends on personal preference and music genre. To me, Johnny Marr - The Messenger sounded very alive and active on the VSD1, but on the Pistons, The bass was too prominent for my liking and the guitars were not as powerful. On the hand, the piston are amazing for Urban/Electronic music, Kevin Coshner - The Joker really shines on the Pistons with its mouthwatering sub-bass and wide soundstage. (I use them with the Sony MH1C tips.)

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,780 of 2,003
stupid me, i put my vsd1s into the wash even though i checked my hoodie pockets. Either i didn't check them properly or it was in my jeans (unlikely). If the sound changes for the worst, should i buy a replacement, try the VSD1, or get a totally different IEM?

Overall, i'm not unhappy with the sound of the VSD1s

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,781 of 2,003
  I haven't spend that much time with the VSD1 but I don't think they are sibilant, the highs are prominent, but nothing I didn't love. The VSD1S are not sibilant at all, they're smooth at the top.
The Pistons are more "true to source" on the highs. Where cymbals/high-hats sound smooth and round on the VSD1S, the Pistons sound like they would do live.
I've got to say the highs are excellent on the Piston, but where the VSD1 (not the VS1S) provide a lively V sound, the Pistons are more U shaped.
It all depends on personal preference and music genre. To me, Johnny Marr - The Messenger sounded very alive and active on the VSD1, but on the Pistons, The bass was too prominent for my liking and the guitars were not as powerful. On the hand, the piston are amazing for Urban/Electronic music, Kevin Coshner - The Joker really shines on the Pistons with its mouthwatering sub-bass and wide soundstage. (I use them with the Sony MH1C tips.)

Thanks for the A/B comparison, since my preferences are definitely closer to Johnny Marr (funny thing to say since I've never been a Smiths fan) probably VSD1 is better choice over Pistons. I never listen to Electronic music so that genre doesn't interest me at all. Could you please give me an input on Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen for sibilance and bass? Certainly it is not a lo-fi or badly mastered song but I'm wondering on the multiple "S" and the 80s sound overall that usually causes problem to my IEMs.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,782 of 2,003
There is no sibilance either on the pistons or vsd1s out of my desktop with integrated sound card. The pistones offer a more relaxed presentation with a lower extension on bass departement, Stevie's voice sounds good and clear, but if you want all the details of her voice in your face you want to go with the Vsonic's. Her voice is more forwarded and you can clearly hear and feel all inflections. There are points where it become a bit offensive, but this is how her voice is. So yeah, I stand to the fact that vsd1s has some harshness on upper mids/lower treble to my ears, or maybe is more true to the source. That is not a bad thing in general, maybe I'm a bit sensitive to that and I prefare a bit relaxed sound of the pistons. There are 2 different sound signatures for sure.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,783 of 2,003
  Thanks for the A/B comparison, since my preferences are definitely closer to Johnny Marr (funny thing to say since I've never been a Smiths fan) probably VSD1 is better choice over Pistons. I never listen to Electronic music so that genre doesn't interest me at all. Could you please give me an input on Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen for sibilance and bass? Certainly it is not a lo-fi or badly mastered song but I'm wondering on the multiple "S" and the 80s sound overall that usually causes problem to my IEMs.

Here is some input.  This re-recording is sibilant as all get out.  And the cymbals are a small crashing mess.  
How could they mess this song up so bad is beyond me.  If you don't hear lots of bad high end and sibilance in this track at least on the you tube mp3 then think about replacing your cans.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,785 of 2,003
Sorry on not reading a whole thread, but can Shure olives be good fit on vsd1? Also is sandisk fuze work with same? Thnx in advance!

I have shure SE215s and the stock tips will not fit on my VSD1S, so I think the Olives would be the same. As for the
Sansa Fuze I do not see why it would not work, it does not require much power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back