VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,901 of 7,982
Quote:
Thanks eke!
I'll hold onto them for another week or so as I have another Cowon player (C2) coming hopefully this week I want to try with my GR07. The fit on EX is very fiddly I imagine for some. If people thought TF10 was bad wait until they try a EX600. Luckily I don't have any problems and my listening station is laying down with no movement. Surprisingly they sound quite a lot like each other in tone, both natural and neutral but GR07 having more treble sparkle and slightly punchier bass. It's really a matter if I can justify keeping both at this time because the imaging and channel separation is winning me over quickly. The soundstage is something really special on EX600, a lot of space, width with decent depth. 

here's a few tracks to help you decide: 

1) http://soundcloud.com/eken-1/alice-deejay-better-off-alone ... this is a remix of one of my favorite house songs of all time
(original:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB5Q06dxIrs)

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j526fXDhBLc&feature=related ...watch/listen in 720p...amazing!

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p53DokEXMo&hd=1 ...I think the EX600 will win in this one due to its better portrayal of space 

Have fun!

Quote:
Even making my TF10 sound too artificial to me now.

rolleyes.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #3,902 of 7,982
Posted this on the tips thread but maybe more people will see it here:

I just got my GR07s last week, and I've been very impressed with the sound - I'm pretty sure I like it more than any other earphone I've heard.  I get a very comfortable fit and great sound with the stock conical tips - but I get very poor isolation.  What tips would be recommended that would block out outside noise better?  I've tried the Meelec tri-flanges before on another earphone and found them much too big for my ears, so I can't use those.  Has anyone gotten custom tips made for the GR07s?

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,903 of 7,982
hi guys,
I have been using them since March. They are great, only thing is that the cable is already very bent and I can't figure out how to get it straight. When I try it just becomes worse and worse... any tips how to straighten it?
My GR07 are with the new box, but are not MKII.

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,904 of 7,982
Quote:
Posted this on the tips thread but maybe more people will see it here:

I just got my GR07s last week, and I've been very impressed with the sound - I'm pretty sure I like it more than any other earphone I've heard.  I get a very comfortable fit and great sound with the stock conical tips - but I get very poor isolation.  What tips would be recommended that would block out outside noise better?  I've tried the Meelec tri-flanges before on another earphone and found them much too big for my ears, so I can't use those.  Has anyone gotten custom tips made for the GR07s?

Thanks!

Have you tried the stock dual-flanges? They don't offer incredible isolation, but quite a bit better than the single-flange conical ones you mention. You should put those on and see if you find them comfortable. If not, I'd advise you check out some foam tips that fit the GR07 (others can help you with that one; I don't use foamies) or some other brands' dual-flange and tri-flange tips to see if you get better comfort and isolation from one of them.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #3,905 of 7,982
Quote:
Have you tried the stock dual-flanges? They don't offer incredible isolation, but quite a bit better than the single-flange conical ones you mention. You should put those on and see if you find them comfortable. If not, I'd advise you check out some foam tips that fit the GR07 (others can help you with that one; I don't use foamies) or some other brands' dual-flange and tri-flange tips to see if you get better comfort and isolation from one of them.

Actually the stock dual-flanges were the first tips I tried - they are unfortunately very uncomfortable for me.  I'll give some Meelec double-flanges a try next (they have several different kinds), but it seems that most deep-seating tips are very uncomfortable for me - the single-flange conical tips being a pleasant exception.  I'll probably give foam a try at some point, just worried about the impact it'll have on the sound.

Thanks for the advice!

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,906 of 7,982
After a few days, I don't think an iem could get better than the the GR07 MKII when it comes to just being natural. Sure, it might not be close to the best in terms of overall sound staging and imaging, but listening to it now on this track (courtesy of music_4321) really showcases what it's capable of. The extra treble extension and presence in the upper mids really push it over the edge for me, making it the best I've heard in this regard.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,910 of 7,982
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,911 of 7,982
I've been pondering between GR07 MK2 and EX600 these past few days.

Between each listen I'm falling in love with EX600 more than I did with GR07.

There's slightly less bass amount on the Sony reacting a little calmer over GR07 which has roughly the same attack but loses out in some decay by a smidgen to EX. Bass quality on EX600 is rather soothing and exceptionally well layered. Punch is quite even though I feel the Sony's can bring better dynamic levels and impact at lower volume, however at lower volumes I also feel I could use a little more bass quantity from Sony. GRO7 have the amounts fairly even,though when you bring EX600 volume levels up it really starts to even out.

The soundstage width and imaging is where EX600 steam ahead, I find different sonic cue's firing around my head which makes music a joy, almost like a new toy to play with. Most genres it's honestly all over the place (in a good way) width is a decent amount wider than GRO7 and of course there's depth and height which GR07 doesn't perceive as well. But that placement! Best I've heard to date.

After further assessment I would say separation is about even between the two, needing to choose one it would be GR07 having a 'slight' edge. all this falls apart when you throw in Sony's left/right channel separation. It's a pure joy to listen too in conjunction with the imaging, like adding more icing to an already scattered cake. Unfortunately GR07 is a stage monitor and wasn't really designed with all this in mind, which is why it may come across bland and centric to me in comparison.

Long story short I won't be keeping my GR07 MKII, it doesn't have the wow factor EX600 gives me for my music. It's great in many areas and the timbre/tone might not ever be matched with certain instruments like drums and guitars but where it falls short is what I need the most out of my IEM's, I'm willing to give up that small percentage to gain in other areas.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #3,912 of 7,982
I was in the same boat as you, but the GR07 won out over the longer run. The EX600 has initial wow effect but its so-so soundstage focus eventually drove me nuts after couple weeks, as everything sounded a bit distant. Still a very nice package for the price, especially with all the included hybrid tips. Can't believe they used to go for around $110.  

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #3,913 of 7,982
I was in the same boat as you, but the GR07 won out over the longer run. The EX600 has initial wow effect but its so-so soundstage focus eventually drove me nuts after couple weeks, as everything sounded a bit distant. Still a very nice package for the price, especially with all the included hybrid tips. Can't believe they used to go for around $110.  

I was reading someone saying EX600 lacks an inner core, which maybe how it manages to spread the sound so far width wise showing distance you mentioned. After reading someone say that it certainly showed has a hollow section to me. Most of my listening is done laying down at night, so this kind of stage is better suited to my tastes. If was to rock out for outside use I would probably lean towards something with a little more bite within centre channel.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3,914 of 7,982
Quote:
I've been pondering between GR07 MK2 and EX600 these past few days.
Between each listen I'm falling in love with EX600 more than I did with GR07.
There's slightly less bass amount on the Sony reacting a little calmer over GR07 which has roughly the same attack but loses out in some decay by a smidgen to EX. Bass quality on EX600 is rather soothing and exceptionally well layered. Punch is quite even though I feel the Sony's can bring better dynamic levels and impact at lower volume, however at lower volumes I also feel I could use a little more bass quantity from Sony. GRO7 have the amounts fairly even,though when you bring EX600 volume levels up it really starts to even out.
The soundstage width and imaging is where EX600 steam ahead, I find different sonic cue's firing around my head which makes music a joy, almost like a new toy to play with. Most genres it's honestly all over the place (in a good way) width is a decent amount wider than GRO7 and of course there's depth and height which GR07 doesn't perceive as well. But that placement! Best I've heard to date.
After further assessment I would say separation is about even between the two, needing to choose one it would be GR07 having a 'slight' edge. all this falls apart when you throw in Sony's left/right channel separation. It's a pure joy to listen too in conjunction with the imaging, like adding more icing to an already scattered cake. Unfortunately GR07 is a stage monitor and wasn't really designed with all this in mind, which is why it may come across bland and centric to me in comparison.
Long story short I won't be keeping my GR07 MKII, it doesn't have the wow factor EX600 gives me for my music. It's great in many areas and the timbre/tone might not ever be matched with certain instruments like drums and guitars but where it falls short is what I need the most out of my IEM's, I'm willing to give up that small percentage to gain in other areas.

I'm glad you made your choice.

For me, SQ is slightly more important than sound staging, so I chose the GR07. I think people would be happy with either one. 

I wish more people would try the EX600. They're criminally overlooked.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #3,915 of 7,982
I'm glad you made your choice.

For me, SQ is slightly more important than sound staging, so I chose the GR07. I think people would be happy with either one. 

I wish more people would try the EX600. They're criminally overlooked.

Thanks mate.

Luckily this time round EX600 was a risk worth taking.

To my understanding my MK2 are possibly going to US soon for some frequency graph tests then hopefully to ljokerl so he can do MK1 comparison.

Well, that's the plan to date.

Bon Voyage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back