VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,611 of 7,982
Someone here mentioned about ETHEREAL sound about GR07. I completely agree...

Also they need to be understood well... They don't produce in your face sound. They are not punchy or bass heavy. It's not easy to describe... Balanced but a little bit of warmth, detail and a sound that carries the REAL SOUL of THE RECORDING.

In my opinion its better to get a good player (and may be also an amp) to sense the abilities of GR07.

Also high quality recordings really shines on these...

The more I listen to them the more I like them.

Also they need at least 200 hours burn-in time (brain+hardware).

The only other earphone on my rig to produce this kind of ethereal sound is AKG K-340.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,612 of 7,982
I'm a bit tempted to buy a Sansa Clip Zip for the GR07. Would this be much better than my current Sony Walkman (S618)? I did compare at the time versus the iPods and the Sony was much better.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #2,614 of 7,982

Quote:
I'm a bit tempted to buy a Sansa Clip Zip for the GR07. Would this be much better than my current Sony Walkman (S618)? I did compare at the time versus the iPods and the Sony was much better.

I dont think am the best to suggest you what to do.. but i have the feeling that those 2 have good synergy. my sansa has a nice clear soundstage and that compliments the values of my gr07.. They dont lose in the low frequencies as well. It could be my imagination though..

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2,615 of 7,982
Today after having these for a few weeks I finally tried on the remaining tips they came with. I inevitably made my way back to the ones that came preinstalled. They seemed to provide the deepest insertion but were also the thinnest. On my EPH-100's for example, I use the thinnest triple flange tips, just provides the best comfort for my ears.

Would the sony hybrids or jays be a good match for me knowing my preference?

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,616 of 7,982

Quote:
Today after having these for a few weeks I finally tried on the remaining tips they came with. I inevitably made my way back to the ones that came preinstalled. They seemed to provide the deepest insertion but were also the thinnest. On my EPH-100's for example, I use the thinnest triple flange tips, just provides the best comfort for my ears.

Would the sony hybrids or jays be a good match for me knowing my preference?

I think either would be good, but for comfort, I think the Sony hybrids are about the best

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,617 of 7,982
The Sony hybrids reduce the treble a bit but are by far the most comfortable tips out there in my opinion. The Jay's do not change the trble and may in fact slightly increase it over the stock tips so will be better or worse for you depending on whether you find the GR07 sibilant or to harsh. Comfort wise the Jay's are OK but not as comfortable as the Hybrids.

Note I say the Sony tips will change the sound but I need to make clear when I owned my GR07 I had the original ones that did not come with the huge tip kit the new GR07's come with. I suspect if your using the hybrid style tips in that kit the real Sony Hybrid tips will have very much the exact same sound but will be slightly softer in the ears from what I have read.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,618 of 7,982
Devastatingly today, my 07s fell from my bag and dragged along the ground behind me for a while before i realised
frown.gif

now theyre a bit scratched, very very sad
maybe time for a dodgy warranty job haha

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #2,619 of 7,982

Quote:
Devastatingly today, my 07s fell from my bag and dragged along the ground behind me for a while before i realised
frown.gif

now theyre a bit scratched, very very sad
maybe time for a dodgy warranty job haha

Gladly you didn't lose them :p

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,620 of 7,982
I just got these today and after a bunch of time fiddling around with the provided tips I can't seem to find a good pair that provides a comfortable seal
confused_face.gif

I bought the original version that came with 3 pairs of single flanges, two double flanges and the foam tips. I ended up ordering a set of Sony Hybrids (something i've been meaning to do for a long time anyway) but I'm going to have to wait a good while for them to arrive unfortunately.

I can't really try almost any of the other tips i own because the nozzle on the GR07 is so thin that they mostly just fall off. I've never had troubles with IEMs untill now, even with both of the over-the-ears i own (PL30 and M6). From a comfort standpoint this was really a letdown, i hope i can find a good comfortable fit with the Sony Hybrids

Any ideas as to what I should try in the meantime? I'm done trying out tips today, my ears have suffered enough but I would like to try again tomorrow.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,621 of 7,982

Quote:
I just got these today and after a bunch of time fiddling around with the provided tips I can't seem to find a good pair that provides a comfortable seal
confused_face.gif

I bought the original version that came with 3 pairs of single flanges, two double flanges and the foam tips. I ended up ordering a set of Sony Hybrids (something i've been meaning to do for a long time anyway) but I'm going to have to wait a good while for them to arrive unfortunately.

I can't really try almost any of the other tips i own because the nozzle on the GR07 is so thin that they mostly just fall off. I've never had troubles with IEMs untill now, even with both of the over-the-ears i own (PL30 and M6). From a comfort standpoint this was really a letdown, i hope i can find a good comfortable fit with the Sony Hybrids

Any ideas as to what I should try in the meantime? I'm done trying out tips today, my ears have suffered enough but I would like to try again tomorrow.

The Meelec M6 tips definitely work! Try them and then tell us how it went.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,622 of 7,982
Thanks for the 'tip' eke2k6 (sorry sorry, sorry for the pun... couldn't resist)

The M6s ones definitely fit, I didn't even think about them. Even though they fit i still couldn't find a good comfortable fit. I went through all my tips again and i found a pair of medium sized single flanges with a small nozzle opening (similar to the ones that came with the GR07) but with a more "usuall" format (though I have no idea what IEMs they belong to...). These definitely got me a good seal and fit. They are still not very comfortable but i'm guessing that's just something i'll have to get used with a bit more time and i'm hoping the hybrids will solve this entirely.

With this i could finally listen to them. I have no idea how much (if any) burn in these have as I've bought them used. The seller said they were "lightly used" so i don't know.
After a few songs i rather enjoy them even though they did not have as much of an impact on me as the EPH100 did, maybe the frustration and overall uncomfortableness had a hand in this aswell.

I'm not going to go into much detail on their sound yet because i want to try them out with the sony hybrids and get used to them first but my first impressions are really good. The sound seems very detailed and balanced with no particular ephasis on any specific frequence appart from sporadic trebble crazyness on some tracks. When compared to the EPH100 these do seem a bit more open and less dark but I would say that instrument sepparation is better on the EPH100. The trebble is a bit too harsh for me but i guess that will get better with time as everyone says.

One thing that impressed me from the start is their build quality and feel. These feel like some sturdy IEMs. I love the cable.

Can't wait to get the Sony Hybrids, I think i'll have to wait a while since I ordered them from the US. Not too worried with the wait since I have my EPH100 which i've been loving for the past week on every aspect.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,623 of 7,982

Quote:
confused_face.gif

Is the problem that the insertion isn't deep enough? I had a similar problem with the stock tips, but I found that the double-flanged tips work quite well, if I to the Etymotic trick where you pull the back of your earlobe to help get a better seal. I also found it opens up the soundstage a bit, though it can be susceptible to that sibilance.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,624 of 7,982

Quote:
Thanks for the 'tip' eke2k6 (sorry sorry, sorry for the pun... couldn't resist)

The M6s ones definitely fit, I didn't even think about them. Even though they fit i still couldn't find a good comfortable fit. I went through all my tips again and i found a pair of medium sized single flanges with a small nozzle opening (similar to the ones that came with the GR07) but with a more "usuall" format (though I have no idea what IEMs they belong to...). These definitely got me a good seal and fit. They are still not very comfortable but i'm guessing that's just something i'll have to get used with a bit more time and i'm hoping the hybrids will solve this entirely.

With this i could finally listen to them. I have no idea how much (if any) burn in these have as I've bought them used. The seller said they were "lightly used" so i don't know.
After a few songs i rather enjoy them even though they did not have as much of an impact on me as the EPH100 did, maybe the frustration and overall uncomfortableness had a hand in this aswell.

I'm not going to go into much detail on their sound yet because i want to try them out with the sony hybrids and get used to them first but my first impressions are really good. The sound seems very detailed and balanced with no particular ephasis on any specific frequence appart from sporadic trebble crazyness on some tracks. When compared to the EPH100 these do seem a bit more open and less dark but I would say that instrument sepparation is better on the EPH100. The trebble is a bit too harsh for me but i guess that will get better with time as everyone says.

One thing that impressed me from the start is their build quality and feel. These feel like some sturdy IEMs. I love the cable.

Can't wait to get the Sony Hybrids, I think i'll have to wait a while since I ordered them from the US. Not too worried with the wait since I have my EPH100 which i've been loving for the past week on every aspect.

Sorry you're going through so much trouble. My favorite tips to date have been the large Jays tips.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2,625 of 7,982

Quote:
Is the problem that the insertion isn't deep enough? I had a similar problem with the stock tips, but I found that the double-flanged tips work quite well, if I to the Etymotic trick where you pull the back of your earlobe to help get a better seal. I also found it opens up the soundstage a bit, though it can be susceptible to that sibilance.

No, I don't think that is the problem. The provided tips just felt weird, too pointy and i couldn't really find a way to get a seal with them AND be minimally comfortable. I think it was just the shape of them.

I'm doing OK with the ones i'm using now, I'm eager to try out the Sony Hybrids. The Jays are a bit expensive on ebay (and who knows if they are real) so I hope i can get a good comfortable seal with the Hybrids. I might try and order more fake pairs of the size i like the most since people do seem to say the fakes and real ones are pretty similar. I would use those with my other IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back