VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,351 of 7,982
Unfortunately wearing them without the earguides using the chin slider makes them rather uncomfortable for me.  The stiff cable just digs in to the cartilage of my ear...definitely not pleasant.  The original earguides are pretty good though, but I haven't tried the new ones.  Seems there were two different kinds of earguides with the original ones, a stiff plastic one and a stiff rubber one...but they're both pretty much the same other than subtle differences in texture (I got both of them when I bought mine).

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,352 of 7,982
Quote:
With the stock biflanges, I noticed the mids filled in considerably (but still remained very balanced) and there is a much better sense of air and instrument separation.

It must be something special about the GR07 stock tips.. at least to my ears.  I slapped the GR07 single flange on the EX600 and within a matter of seconds, it SQUASHED the Sony hybrid tips in terms of sound AND comfort.  I'll comment on that over on the EX600 thread, though.  I've got to see if I can order the GR07 (stock) tips as a backup from somewhere.

The special sauce in these seems to be the combination of length, great seal on the nozzle, right nozzle size and slightly "squashed" shape (non-spherical).
However, I still find trimmed Comply T130 medium better - mostly because the tips are slightly wrong size for my ear canal.
Especially better with equalization.

I can't use the ear guides as they interfere with my glasses, but a combination of "unwinding" the cable and using the chin slider works very well. By unwinding I mean a process of straightening the cable letting the IEM rotate about its axis.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,353 of 7,982
All this talk about the stock tips. I must try them again, as I've been so used to the green Sony Hybrids. Will test them out tomorrow and see if they really do sound that much better. I did change them in the first place because I couldn't get a good fit. Maybe second time lucky?

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #1,354 of 7,982
+1 for the stock single flanges.

The chin slider up pretty high works if you don't like the ear guides.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,359 of 7,982
>I can't use the ear guides as they interfere with my glasses, but a combination of "unwinding" the cable and using the chin slider works very well. By unwinding I mean a process of straightening the cable letting the IEM rotate about its axis.

I don't have any problems with the ear guides and my glasses...

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,361 of 7,982
After last night, I feel like my wallet owes Head-Fi its obligatory "**** you". Until then, i had been burning my VSonics in on my S9, but it finally needed to be charged, so I plugged them into my laptop and used them for some gaming while it was charging. After about 3 hours (my ears are adjusting to them, it seems) they were getting a bit uncomfortable, so I switched back to my regular gaming headset, a Turtle Beach Z2, which I had previously thought had good sound. Not anymore...compared to the GR07, it sounds almost too open. I know the VSonics have a pretty big soundstage, but it was almost perfect for the games I was playing. With my headset, everything sounded too far away, like I was sitting in the back row of a concert or something. So now my ears want a new set of full-size headphones too. God damnit.

Any recommendations on something full-size with a similar sound signature?

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,362 of 7,982

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,363 of 7,982

By fullsize are you wanting around ear or if you could find a comfortable on ear would that suffice? Also what is your price range and what if any amps do you have/use, if none what type of sound card is in your laptop?

Quote:
After last night, I feel like my wallet owes Head-Fi its obligatory "**** you". Until then, i had been burning my VSonics in on my S9, but it finally needed to be charged, so I plugged them into my laptop and used them for some gaming while it was charging. After about 3 hours (my ears are adjusting to them, it seems) they were getting a bit uncomfortable, so I switched back to my regular gaming headset, a Turtle Beach Z2, which I had previously thought had good sound. Not anymore...compared to the GR07, it sounds almost too open. I know the VSonics have a pretty big soundstage, but it was almost perfect for the games I was playing. With my headset, everything sounded too far away, like I was sitting in the back row of a concert or something. So now my ears want a new set of full-size headphones too. God damnit.
Any recommendations on something full-size with a similar sound signature?

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #1,365 of 7,982

By fullsize are you wanting around ear or if you could find a comfortable on ear would that suffice? Also what is your price range and what if any amps do you have/use, if none what type of sound card is in your laptop?

I'd prefer around ear. I've had on-ear phones before, but they were never comfortable. They were pretty cheap ones though, if that makes a difference. Price range is $100-ish. No amp. My sound card is a Realtek HD (integrated card), though I'm running the Creative THX TruStudio drivers, which help it quite a bit.

I've been looking at the ATH AD700 and the Fischer FA-011. I know the Fischers probably have more bass than the VSonics, though I haven't been able to find anyone who can tell me how much of a difference there is. The AD700s are supposed to have pretty weak bass, but again, I haven't seen any real comparisons to anything I've heard. Any others you'd suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back