VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #7,441 of 7,982
I would to know how they perform against Phonak PFE 112. Looking for an upgrade right now. Also considering MEE P1.

I don't own a PFE 112 but I owned both GR07 BE and also Mee's P1. In terms of sound P1 beats BE in all department. It extends further in both the low and high regions. The mid bass boost for BE makes the music a bit fuller but taste wise it is really subjective. I did try GR07 X briefly and find it rather similar to P1 but lacking slightly in terms of finesse. No AB test between P1 and X. It was purely based on memory so my description may not be accurate. But in terms of built, it was no contest. P1 definitely a winner here.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #7,442 of 7,982
Thank you for reply! Whats you source btw?
I dont belive in burn-in, but I`ve read plenty reviews of P1. Some reviewers stated that their first impression ranged from negative to neutral. But 1-2 weeks later their impression changed to postive. Whats your thoughts?

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #7,443 of 7,982
I used ibasso DX90 and mainly Jazz tracks from various artists. For bass track, I usually stick to Pink Floyd's DSOTM. Just like you, I never believe in burning in for IEM, speakers and even cables. None of these are scientifically proven. The reason people felt the improvement over time is because their ears got used to the new sound signature.

Before GR07 BE, I was using hifiman re400. If you are familiar with re400, you will know it has a more lush and mid centric signature. When I changed to BE, I felt the vocal taking a slightly more recessed presentation. Didn't like it initially but got used to it and started to appreciate the details it brought.

Changing from BE to P1 was easier because the difference was not as pronounce as re400 and I was in need of a better build IEM. I took the plunge without extensive testing. With both IEMs in my possession, it was easy to run a AB test.

P1 to me has slightly more finesse and smoother in almost everything it does as compared to BE. In fact,the difference was so subtle that unless you are critically focusing on micro details, you would probably have missed it.

Testing GR07 X in the shop was almost the same experience as when I was testing P1. In other words, everything was just marginally better than BE but still felt P1 was better based on memory. But like I said, price being almost equal between X and P1, I will take P1 any day for its construction and build quality.

No blind test was conducted so do take my words with a pinch of salt. I urge you to try P1 on before committing.

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #7,444 of 7,982
I used ibasso DX90 and mainly Jazz tracks from various artists. For bass track, I usually stick to Pink Floyd's DSOTM. Just like you, I never believe in burning in for IEM, speakers and even cables. None of these are scientifically proven. The reason people felt the improvement over time is because their ears got used to the new sound signature.

Before GR07 BE, I was using hifiman re400. If you are familiar with re400, you will know it has a more lush and mid centric signature. When I changed to BE, I felt the vocal taking a slightly more recessed presentation. Didn't like it initially but got used to it and started to appreciate the details it brought.

Changing from BE to P1 was easier because the difference was not as pronounce as re400 and I was in need of a better build IEM. I took the plunge without extensive testing. With both IEMs in my possession, it was easy to run a AB test.

P1 to me has slightly more finesse and smoother in almost everything it does as compared to BE. In fact,the difference was so subtle that unless you are critically focusing on micro details, you would probably have missed it.

Testing GR07 X in the shop was almost the same experience as when I was testing P1. In other words, everything was just marginally better than BE but still felt P1 was better based on memory. But like I said, price being almost equal between X and P1, I will take P1 any day for its construction and build quality.

No blind test was conducted so do take my words with a pinch of salt. I urge you to try P1 on before committing.

Nice,
How do you feel about the bass on the BE vs the P1?

nevermind I just saw you posted that...
I don't own a PFE 112 but I owned both GR07 BE and also Mee's P1. In terms of sound P1 beats BE in all department. It extends further in both the low and high regions. The mid bass boost for BE makes the music a bit fuller but taste wise it is really subjective. I did try GR07 X briefly and find it rather similar to P1 but lacking slightly in terms of finesse. No AB test between P1 and X. It was purely based on memory so my description may not be accurate. But in terms of built, it was no contest. P1 definitely a winner here.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #7,445 of 7,982
BE mid bass is definitely fuller than P1 but what P1 did better was in its detail and extension. Music with 30hz and below information is more prominently felt in P1 than in BE. I would think GR07 X would fair almost the same as P1.

But in jazz pieces, BE is quite a delight.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,446 of 7,982
But in terms of built, it was no contest. P1 definitely a winner here.

You say that, but the one reason I haven't given the P1 a try is because it looks terrible after a few months when the chrome polish wears off.  I know it hasn't happened to everyone, but enough to prevent me from buying.

The 07x appears to be built better, more solidly than the BE and v2 07 I had...so we'll see if that continues through it's use.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #7,447 of 7,982
I have been using it for a couple of months and there is no sign of wear and tear. The unit that I demoed was constantly being abused but still in good shape when I tried in the shop back then. So I don't know where you got that crazy idea. In any case, I can live with the chrome coming off or being tarnished but to have a damage cable because of poorly designed cable relief, that I cannot.

It is something a fan boy like you who cannot understand. Plastic vs solid cast, you got to be kidding.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7,448 of 7,982
I have been using it for a couple of months and there is no sign of wear and tear. The unit that I demoed was constantly being abused but still in good shape when I tried in the shop back then. So I don't know where you got that crazy idea. In any case, I can live with the chrome coming off or being tarnished but to have a damage cable because of poorly designed cable relief, that I cannot.

It is something a fan boy like you who cannot understand. Plastic vs solid cast, you got to be kidding.

Whoa, easy buddy.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,449 of 7,982
Vsonic GR07 CE and BE with detachable cables will be for sale next month in China. The font used on the shell is different from the previous ones.

Vsonic reliability is terrible, will never touch another product of their's again, my sennheisers and friends Soundmagic outlasted 3 pairs of vsonics (GR07 and VSD3S). Great sound, a shame that the qc is non existent, but hopefully this will help in future.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #7,452 of 7,982
Same here, and I've had my GR07 BE since ~ 2012.

Thats nice to see some are still enjoying theirs tho they are old enough to break,. (given a normal usage).....So where did you buy your BE and how well they find your ear-time?

PS: "break" in the sense- cable oxidation,break in the jack side and strain-relief sides , also the outer sheath break open on its own and also the sheath dis-joint near the y-split exposing the cable inside.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,453 of 7,982

Same here, and I've had my GR07 BE since ~ 2012.

Thats nice to see some are still enjoying theirs tho they are old enough to break,. (given a normal usage).....So where did you buy your BE and how well they find your ear-time?

PS: "break" in the sense- cable oxidation,break in the jack side and strain-relief sides , also the outer sheath break open on its own and also the sheath dis-joint near the y-split exposing the cable inside.

Well, they look and sound like new. I had to look back at my orders from Amazon and I actually got them in 2013, (sorry about that, was just guessing before, thus the tilde ~ 2012). As for head time, I alternate between speakers, full size cans, earbuds  and a few different IEM's so they haven't had an extreme amount of use, however the use they have seen I haven't been easy on them. For instance, mowing the yard with them and catching the cable on branches pulling them out of my ears and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back