VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7,156 of 7,982
Yeah don't let it die....I know how you feel as I was in exactly the same position. The cable I purchased was pretty cheap off ebay, you can search for all kinds of Shure or UE replacements. They'll come with MCX or dual pin connectors on but it doesn't matter as you'll cut them off anyway. You don't need to spend a fortune

I'm a noob so i tend to trust on ppl. They said using a cheap cable could result in sound changes (obviously) and volume changes as well, since the GR07's cable is apparently made from silver, i'd need a good cable to maintain it's capabilities. I'm scared of using a cheap cable because this is my only iem, and i don't want it to be worse...

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #7,157 of 7,982
I'm a noob so i tend to trust on ppl. They said using a cheap cable could result in sound changes (obviously) and volume changes as well, since the GR07's cable is apparently made from silver, i'd need a good cable to maintain it's capabilities. I'm scared of using a cheap cable because this is my only iem, and i don't want it to be worse...

Change in sound based on cable is highly overrated, I noticed zero difference in mine. The science behind it means you'd have to have a very poor and highly resistive cable for it to make a difference. Only thing to look for is oxygen free (OFC) other than that I wouldn't worry too much

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #7,158 of 7,982
Change in sound based on cable is highly overrated, I noticed zero difference in mine. The science behind it means you'd have to have a very poor and highly resistive cable for it to make a difference. Only thing to look for is oxygen free (OFC) other than that I wouldn't worry too much

That's some good news you just told me. if yours had no change in sound why should mine, right?
I'll wait a little for the exchange rate to get a little better for me and i'll definitely buy the cable. Tnx for the help!

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #7,159 of 7,982
That's some good news you just told me. if yours had no change in sound why should mine, right?

I'll wait a little for the exchange rate to get a little better for me and i'll definitely buy the cable. Tnx for the help!

interesting.I agree.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #7,160 of 7,982
Ok.. so i just received my GR07 MKIIs and love the sound. Had my MKI for a long time and enjoyed them alot also. Selling off my gear and sticking with these now and a few others. Been a long time coming for a proper cut back on my audio gear :D

May 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #7,163 of 7,982
I've been enjoying the GR07 Classics for about 4 months. Probably the best $100 IEM I've owned (not that I've owned all that many).

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of plastic the housing in the recent Classics was? Even though I think I've been pretty careful with them, I somehow managed to crack the housing (see photo). The crack doesn't seem to affect sound quality all that much, but the swiveling ear tube is a bit loose now and I don't want the damage to get any worse. 

Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use to attempt a repair?

May 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,164 of 7,982
I had the same or similar problem as you. I noticed some reduced bass in that side. Not by much as my crack was not as severe as yours. They have a one year warranty and I purchased through Amazon (LendMeUrEars), so I contacted the seller through Amazon and they had me send them back to them in Singapore and they sent back replacements. The whole process took about 3 weeks, but it was well worth it.

I now keep mine in a Pelican 1010 case with foam just to be on the safe side.

And now the plastic around the wire at the jack end is coming open exposing the shield to open air. I just taped it off with some electrical tape. I love the sound of these, but I sure wish the build quality was better. I would pay a bit more for the same sound with a bit more durability.

May 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #7,165 of 7,982
  I've been enjoying the GR07 Classics for about 4 months. Probably the best $100 IEM I've owned (not that I've owned all that many).

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of plastic the housing in the recent Classics was? Even though I think I've been pretty careful with them, I somehow managed to crack the housing (see photo). The crack doesn't seem to affect sound quality all that much, but the swiveling ear tube is a bit loose now and I don't want the damage to get any worse. 

Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use to attempt a repair?

I checked my Silver GR07 (owned them about 18 months I think), and mine also have a crack around the same area. Both L and R actually. Never noticed it before. So far no change in sound noticed.

May 9, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #7,166 of 7,982
Many thanks to NuckinFutz's guide, I had finally managed to replace my GR07BE cable. 
biggrin.gif

GR07BE with the original badly disintegrated cable 
mad.gif

Ply open carefully the housing with penknife, with help from hair dryer.
Carefully marking the + and -, differentiating the L and the R.
UE replacement cable standby at the back.

GR07BE with the new UE replacement cable.
I used Huntsman Araldite Epoxy adhesive to seal the cable entry.

Overall, I am quite happy that my GR07BE has been successfully salvaged.
However, I can tell straight away that the GR07BE with the new UE cable, has lost the original GR07BE sound signature.
The original GR07BE, is better sounding.
May be next time, I might use a 'better' more expensive replacement cable 
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #7,167 of 7,982
puppyfi

Glad you found it useful :beerchug:

Shame you couldn't salvage the strain relief parts.

Surprised you find that much of a difference in the cable. I can't see the inside of yours but there are other factors, most importantly changing the volume of air contained within each unit. So, if you had too much cable inside the housing then you would reduce the volume of air, which would then impact on bass response. Also, looking at the last image, I think you may have covered the outer vent with the glue you have used?

May 9, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #7,168 of 7,982
@puppyfi

Glad you found it useful
beerchug.gif

Shame you couldn't salvage the strain relief parts.

Surprised you find that much of a difference in the cable. I can't see the inside of yours but there are other factors, most importantly changing the volume of air contained within each unit. So, if you had too much cable inside the housing then you would reduce the volume of air, which would then impact on bass response. Also, looking at the last image, I think you may have covered the outer vent with the glue you have used?

Lol....never cross my mind that GR07BE is vented 
deadhorse.gif

But thanks to our wonderful brain (brain got adapted or brain burn-in) and with the help of tip change, I am back to enjoying my back-to-life GR07BE (with the new slight change in sound signature). It is actually still sounding very good 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #7,169 of 7,982
Lol....never cross my mind that GR07BE is vented :deadhorse:

But thanks to our wonderful brain (brain got adapted or brain burn-in) and with the help of tip change, I am back to enjoying my back-to-life GR07BE (with the new slight change in sound signature). It is actually still sounding very good :D

What exactly are the differences in sound?

May 10, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #7,170 of 7,982
What exactly are the differences in sound?

Based on the initiate quick impression after the cable change, mainly I found the bass less satisfying now (bass not as musical, won't rumble as nicely as before) and perhaps, less airy.

Think I might have closed up the back vent with too much excess epoxy, where it should be left open. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back