VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #7,141 of 7,982
Thanks for the replies. I am really interested in the FLC8S, it is out of my budget though.I guess I will attempt to fix the GR07 while I save up money for the FLC8S. Is it possible to just cut the cable off, then solder it back on?

That seems to be a good idea(fixing the cable yourself) if you have atleast a little knowledge of soldering,for now , until you save upto something,enough to buy your next IEM that meets your sound and budget,imo.....

Btw,do you see any physical change (cuts/slit/color change with outer sheath) in the cable end-end?

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #7,142 of 7,982
Thanks for the replies. I am really interested in the FLC8S, it is out of my budget though.I guess I will attempt to fix the GR07 while I save up money for the FLC8S. Is it possible to just cut the cable off, then solder it back on?

I did mine a little while ago and posted pics on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-thread/6945#post_11812008

Maybe useful as a guide. You don't have to be a wiz with a soldering iron but basic skills are needed.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #7,143 of 7,982
Don't let the GR07 die, I assure you you'd miss them terribly!

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #7,144 of 7,982
Don't let the GR07 die, I assure you you'd miss them terribly!

I am going to repeat myself, but the GR07 are really unique indeed. Heard a lot of so called "better" but just in my opinion, actually "better" sounding but really overpriced (just for their branding,really) in-ears, but besides the lack of body on the mids, with the right tips and fit (maybe a lot of listening as well), the GR07 pretty much ticks every other spot for me. I am even considering to learn how to solder in the future just to replace the cables for my terribly disintegrating GR07 Bass.

That's how good enough they are, for me at least, but I am both tempting and hesitating to get another pair of GR07 Classic. It is really hard for me to go back to Vsonic again after my experiences with the VSD5 (the cable is awful), which is definitely not even as good as the Ostry KC06A , in my opinion.

I really hope (doubt) that I can see Vsonic concentrating on improving their solder and cable qualities in their products, at least, as much as I am not looking forward to the GR09 (suppposed to appear in Canjam Singapore earlier this year, but that never happened) as much as some others do, to be honest.

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #7,145 of 7,982
Mar 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #7,146 of 7,982
Thanks for this. I think I can try salvage my gr07be by replacing the badly disintegrated cable with a good one. Could you give some tips or instruction on how do you pry open the housing?

Heat the casing up with a hair-dryer to release the glue and gently pry open using a scalpel or blade. They came apart quite easily. Leave the glue on if you can so you can do the opposite when putting them back together.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #7,147 of 7,982
Heat the casing up with a hair-dryer to release the glue and gently pry open using a scalpel or blade. They came apart quite easily. Leave the glue on if you can so you can do the opposite when putting them back together.

Thank you. Great tips !

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #7,148 of 7,982
Also for you guys who want to try the repair route, the biggest tip I can offer you is to be gentle when removing the back. Make sure you don't move the driver out of its place because it is kind of glued in the inside and you may rip apart the diaphragm.
Use the guide NuckinFutz posted and look at the picture of how the back should be removed without removing the driver out of its place.

Another problem that might occur is what to do with the black rubber "triangle" portion from which the cable comes out is damaged/cracked...
I must say I haven't considered what is the best way to deal with it maybe some sugru. My GR07be will soon need a recable and I have notice that the black rubber strain relief started to crack. So if you guys have ideas for a good replacements please share with us.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #7,149 of 7,982
Also for you guys who want to try the repair route, the biggest tip I can offer you is to be gentle when removing the back. Make sure you don't move the driver out of its place because it is kind of glued in the inside and you may rip apart the diaphragm.
Use the guide NuckinFutz posted and look at the picture of how the back should be removed without removing the driver out of its place.

Another problem that might occur is what to do with the black rubber "triangle" portion from which the cable comes out is damaged/cracked...
I must say I haven't considered what is the best way to deal with it maybe some sugru. My GR07be will soon need a recable and I have notice that the black rubber strain relief started to crack. So if you guys have ideas for a good replacements please share with us.

Never seen the sugru stuff before, looks useful.

Unless the strain relief (triangle piece) has perished or broken completely I would still use it. I used silicone RTV around the cable exit to ensure it's sealed and slid the strain relief into place and left to cure. If it is completely broken then I reckon you could use sugru to mould something useful.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #7,150 of 7,982
After 1.5 years, my GR07's left channel is starting to cut out when I tug on the cable.
frown.gif
I think it will probably just stop working soon. So I was wondering if anybody here knows what is a good upgrade from them? I have been mainly looking at the Fender FXA2 and the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1, but leaning more towards the FXA 2. I am looking for something that has a similar, but better sound, and better build quality and removable cables.

If you can live without detachable cables, ATH-CKR9. They're like a GR07 on steroids. When I was looking for a direct upgrade to them, the CKR9 was a godsend. I've had them for almost 2 years and they're going as strong as ever.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #7,151 of 7,982

If you can live without detachable cables, ATH-CKR9. They're like a GR07 on steroids. When I was looking for a direct upgrade to them, the CKR9 was a godsend. I've had them for almost 2 years and they're going as strong as ever.

I read your review on these and now I think these might be my next purchase.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #7,152 of 7,982
Guys i request your help. My GR07's cable is broken close to the housing, so i want to recable it. Any suggestions on what cable i should get? I'd ballpark my budget around 80 bucks. Been thinking about getting a cable from BTG Audio (they're cheaper than pretty much everyone and apparently their quality is good), but i'm not sure which one. Some people told me to buy another cause it'd be for the best, but my GR07 is just too special for me, i can't let it die...

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #7,153 of 7,982
  Guys i request your help. My GR07's cable is broken close to the housing, so i want to recable it. Any suggestions on what cable i should get? I'd ballpark my budget around 80 bucks. Been thinking about getting a cable from BTG Audio (they're cheaper than pretty much everyone and apparently their quality is good), but i'm not sure which one. Some people told me to buy another cause it'd be for the best, but my GR07 is just too special for me, i can't let it die...

I'd kind of agree with them. I mean the GR07 are about that much new, so you could buy a new one for that price, or upgrade. If you want to recable it, it might be fun to try yourself. Not too hard to do if you're careful.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #7,154 of 7,982

I'd kind of agree with them. I mean the GR07 are about that much new, so you could buy a new one for that price, or upgrade. If you want to recable it, it might be fun to try yourself. Not too hard to do if you're careful.

Yeah i know they're right. I should save it for my future ue900s, but still, it has a lot of sentimental value... Any ideas for a cable? I might end up doing it myself like you said

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #7,155 of 7,982
Yeah i know they're right. I should save it for my future ue900s, but still, it has a lot of sentimental value... Any ideas for a cable? I might end up doing it myself like you said

Yeah don't let it die....I know how you feel as I was in exactly the same position. The cable I purchased was pretty cheap off ebay, you can search for all kinds of Shure or UE replacements. They'll come with MCX or dual pin connectors on but it doesn't matter as you'll cut them off anyway. You don't need to spend a fortune

Users who are viewing this thread

Back