VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,947 of 7,982
Does anyone else have this issue I am having with my maroon classic edition gr07: the ear guides are the most frustrating thing to use. They slide around and come off so easily and are so frustrating to use you just use them over the ear without any ear guides. I tried using electric tape and it worked but eventually the tape comes off...

i don't use the earguides, I go commando with my gr07BE,

works fine and doesn't flop around!

Do you have to use the chin slider ? I do and it's uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #6,948 of 7,982
Were the mk1 and mk2 ear guides detachable or were they on permanently, I gave up on my classics ear guides due to them never staying on right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they all are detachables like CE and BE, comes with no memory wires.....

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #6,951 of 7,982
So I thought I'd share the repair I carried out on mine today. It was fairly simple and I used a pre-made cable purchased from Ebay.

One of the things of interest I've discovered from this, which may have already been covered so apologies if I repeat here, is the reason for the original cable going green. I believe it's directly from the material used on the cable sheath due to heat. My pair are the originals and around 4-5 years old so became green almost entirely, but it started around the ears and is of the greatest quantity in that area. Also, the cable is clearly made of silver, so it's not oxidisation. Even if it was it would start inside the earpiece (where air can get in) but that is literally the only part of the cable that is not green (you can see this in the picture below where I've taken the back off).

Back removed:

I stripped off the outer sheath to reveal the screen on the cable, you can see how bright green in is, and yes this can be wiped off!

New cable soldered and using RTV to ensure no air leaks around the cable gland:

Re-assembled:

The cable used is smaller, plus I've not had to use heatshrink for the ground cable like the original, so the space used is less than the original...I'm curious if this will effect the bass. will know more tomorrow (only had a quick listen) but I don't think so.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #6,953 of 7,982
I've had these for a long time now (almost a year) and they've held up quite well. They took an immense amount of burning in, but the end result was very satisfactory. I recommend patience when first trying these out.

Also, you should probably use sony hybrid tips (ep-ex10a), as for me and many others the stock tips really didn't fit well.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #6,954 of 7,982
Well, it looks like, after a year, my GR07 Classics have failed. I'm getting no audio from the right channel. I've tried removing a mass of earwax, thinking that was the issue. No go. I then tried gently manipulating all through the cable. No go. Then, I tried taking it apart to take a look. The solder points looked solid, and I didn't take it apart further for fear of damaging the driver. Any ideas?

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #6,955 of 7,982
Well, it looks like, after a year, my GR07 Classics have failed. I'm getting no audio from the right channel. I've tried removing a mass of earwax, thinking that was the issue. No go. I then tried gently manipulating all through the cable. No go. Then, I tried taking it apart to take a look. The solder points looked solid, and I didn't take it apart further for fear of damaging the driver. Any ideas?

Did it go all of a sudden and completely, so moving the cable about makes no difference? If you have a multimeter you could check the cable continuity, if that's OK then it's either a dry solder joint or the driver has had it

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #6,956 of 7,982
The sound went out suddenly I'd assume, as it was in between uses, moving it did nothing, and then, after wearing them for a bit, (20-30 minutes) the right side "faded in" to normal levels. Now, I don't even get that. And sadly, no electronic diagnostic and repair stuff here. (Don't know why I've never gotten around to getting something)

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #6,957 of 7,982
The fading in you describe sounds mechanical to me, driver related, I don't see any electronic issues that would cause that. I think you might want to bite the bullet and go ahead and try and take the driver out. Believe it's only glued in but have a look on here as sure someone has done it

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #6,958 of 7,982
Yes, l  driver is only glued and can be removed easily. But what is the point of removing the driver? You should use multimeter to define if it is cable or driver that fails. Most of the issues we have with GR07 are driver-related.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #6,959 of 7,982
Yes, l  driver is only glued and can be removed easily. But what is the point of removing the driver? You should use multimeter to define if it is cable or driver that fails. Most of the issues we have with GR07 are driver-related.

So you can determine if it works in free air (not attached).

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,960 of 7,982
I managed to carefully get it out. It still doesn't work. The fading in does make me think it's a driver rather than cable issue. I've dealt with those before, so I know how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back