VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #6,841 of 7,982
  Hi guys I've had my GR07 for quite a while now but I've been getting tired of the sibilance and slight lack of bass quantity so I want to get something to compliment it. Would anyone be able to give me any suggestions? I'd like something that has the gr07's treble with more bass and no sibilance. I was thinking of something cheap though so my options include the VSD3S or VSD3, TTPOD T1E or KC06A... Ideally I'd LOVE a removable cable one but I know I can't have it all. I've had a Shure SE215 and an ATH-IM50 before too but I can't imagine rebuying the former. I have vague memories of the IM50 now but I know I enjoyed it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. My source will be a FiiO X5 which I use with my other stuff too :).

Looks into the Fostex TE-05..?? They have removable cables aswell :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #6,842 of 7,982
Looks into the Fostex TE-05..?? They have removable cables aswell :)

Those look nice but way out of budget. :frowning2: thanks though

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6,843 of 7,982
Those look nice but way out of budget.
frown.gif
thanks though

How much are you looking to spend? The VSD3 is another good option, though some have had issues with the cable and build quality. The IM50 you mentioned earlier is a great headphone with no sibilance, but the treble might be more smooth than you'd like coming from the GR07.  Those are the two I'd pick if you're trying to keep it cheap. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #6,844 of 7,982

How much are you looking to spend? The VSD3 is another good option, though some have had issues with the cable and build quality. The IM50 you mentioned earlier is a great headphone with no sibilance, but the treble might be more smooth than you'd like coming from the GR07.  Those are the two I'd pick if you're trying to keep it cheap. 

$50-70 but thanks, I think I might get the IM70 used if this guy comes through. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a bit worried about the VSD3's cable myself.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #6,845 of 7,982
  $50-70 but thanks, I think I might get the IM70 used if this guy comes through. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a bit worried about the VSD3's cable myself.

IM70 is a great IEM and if you like the IM50, you'll definitely like the IM70. I preferred it to the GR07 for everyday use for the smoother treble and more 3D soundstage. Excellent choice if that's what you go for. Try some wider bore tips if you find the treble lacking. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,846 of 7,982
IM70 is a great IEM and if you like the IM50, you'll definitely like the IM70. I preferred it to the GR07 for everyday use for the smoother treble and more 3D soundstage. Excellent choice if that's what you go for. Try some wider bore tips if you find the treble lacking. 

Excellent I am definitely considering to keep both. :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #6,847 of 7,982
Even though I already own the HiFiMan RE-400 and like them quite well, they lack in sub-bass and they are definitely not suited for rough/daily use. I broke the RE-400's cable within a couple of months and had to get them replaced. So I decided to get the GR07 as a daily use IEM and also for the sub-bass and the better sound-stage. I got my GR07 Classic Edition a couple of weeks back and I have spent 30-40 hours with it. I am generally pleased with the GR07, especially with the way the bass has been done, but I find them to have a bit too much of treble energy for me. Sibilance was pretty bad out of the box, but I guess the drivers settled in after a couple of days. But the treble still leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I use my FiiO E07K to cut the treble by a couple of dB to make them much more acceptable. I guess I am one of those treble-sensitive people. I am thinking of giving these away and going for a different form factor altogether, viz., on-ear, like the V Moda XS for example.  What do you guys think? Do you think that I should spend more time with the GR07 before I decide to give them away?

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #6,848 of 7,982
Even though I already own the HiFiMan RE-400 and like them quite well, they lack in sub-bass and they are definitely not suited for rough/daily use. I broke the RE-400's cable within a couple of months and had to get them replaced. So I decided to get the GR07 as a daily use IEM and also for the sub-bass and the better sound-stage. I got my GR07 Classic Edition a couple of weeks back and I have spent 30-40 hours with it. I am generally pleased with the GR07, especially with the way the bass has been done, but I find them to have a bit too much of treble energy for me. Sibilance was pretty bad out of the box, but I guess the drivers settled in after a couple of days. But the treble still leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I use my FiiO E07K to cut the treble by a couple of dB to make them much more acceptable. I guess I am one of those treble-sensitive people. I am thinking of giving these away and going for a different form factor altogether, viz., on-ear, like the V Moda XS for example.  What do you guys think? Do you think that I should spend more time with the GR07 before I decide to give them away?

Sure, give it some more time. The usual amount is about 200-250 hours for GR07. I'm pretty neutral about burn in but GR07 drivers need time to settle. Set them up for about 48 hours with some music playing a little louder than normal listening levels.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,849 of 7,982
Sure, give it some more time. The usual amount is about 200-250 hours for GR07. I'm pretty neutral about burn in but GR07 drivers need time to settle. Set them up for about 48 hours with some music playing a little louder than normal listening levels.

But can burning in change the sound that much? I believed that burn in is more related to the mind. I'll try burning them in and see.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,850 of 7,982

But can burning in change the sound that much? I believed that burn in is more related to the mind. I'll try burning them in and see.

Burn-in does not change the sound signature of an iem at all. But it does smooth out the harshness that an earphone has out of the box. In my experience GR07 needed at least 100 hours for the sound to settle. I don't believe it was the result of my brain adjusting to the sound, because during the burn-in process I only listened to it every couple of days. I used about 5 tracks in my collection that are very sibilant.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #6,851 of 7,982
Just got my GR07 last friday. 
the little black tag near the plug of the headphones recommends a burn time of around 100 hours. So far I've been burning it for around 24 hours. Probably would have to wait a bit longer before i can say if the burn-in workds:p

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #6,853 of 7,982
The GR07 lineup definitely needs some break-in time for the treble to settle down. When I first got mine I had a fairly aggressive EQ setting to neutralise them, but over time I've flattened it out to compensate for the sibilance settling down, as well as the the bass developing a little. I'm surprised they've lasted a reasonable period of time (GR07C), about 8 months now without a driver failing or any problems - so a fair bit better than the VS series. I'd strongly suggest people avoid the VS lineup and spend the extra on the GR07, as it's well worth it for not having to get a warranty replacement within 1 month of ownership, if you want something to complement the GR07 buy something else!

Speaking of which, I'm considering grabbing some Dunu DN1000s to complement the GR07C and hopefully fill in if/when they eventually die. Does anyone here own both? I've read the Joker's comments, I'm particularly interested in the soundstage and spaciousness of the DN1000 - are they as good as the GR07 or not quite? It's one thing I like about them and don't want to lose, unfortunately the DN2000 which sounds more suited to my needs costs a whole lot more.

Appreciate any thoughts. I know the GR07BE would be good but I'd like to try the Dunu.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6,854 of 7,982
So I'm in the search of IEMs.

I have it narrowed down to these several IEMs but would like recommendations/advice!

VSonic GR07 || ~100 USD ebay
VSonic GR07BE || ~130 USD ebay
VSonic VSD5 || ~70 USD ebay
Hifiman RE-400 || ~80 USD amazon

Looking to just go for the VSD5s. I'm upgrading from an MEElectronics A151p because one side is dead. ~1.5 years old.

Thanks.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #6,855 of 7,982
  So I'm in the search of IEMs.

I have it narrowed down to these several IEMs but would like recommendations/advice!

VSonic GR07 || ~100 USD ebay
VSonic GR07BE || ~130 USD ebay
VSonic VSD5 || ~70 USD ebay
Hifiman RE-400 || ~80 USD amazon

Looking to just go for the VSD5s. I'm upgrading from an MEElectronics A151p because one side is dead. ~1.5 years old.

Thanks.

Try asking in the Chinese Headphone/Earphone thread. Be sure to include your sound preference, budget, etc. and I'm sure you'll be getting some nice recommendations (not that the IEMs you chose are bad).  

As of right now, the Dunu TITAN1 are really popular and are $115 USD, so you can check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back